DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 TV THREAD!

DEAN

Finished BoJack.  I have about four friends who I am going to hound and harangue until they watch it (people coping with a depression disorder and one huge comedy nerd who will bite as soon as she knows Tompkins and Sedaris are in the cast). For everyone else I'd give it a solid B.

Jesus Christ, but last week's Mr. Robot was the soul crusher.  Can't wait for this week's episode.

Still enjoying it. Still not sure where they are going long term either. A few weeks ago my guess was Elliot/Mr Robot are split personalities. I like that I still don't know. Gives the show a mystery/detective show quality as a sub plot. Haven't liked a show this much since The Wire.

That was my guess as well but there was some heavy interaction between Mr. Robot and another character a I think the episode before last, so who knows?  If it is some Fight Club/split personality shit, that's kinda lame.

I just read next season of Banshee will be the last and that fucking sucks.

Jesus Christ, but last week's Mr. Robot was the soul crusher.  Can't wait for this week's episode.

Still enjoying it. Still not sure where they are going long term either. A few weeks ago my guess was Elliot/Mr Robot are split personalities. I like that I still don't know. Gives the show a mystery/detective show quality as a sub plot. Haven't liked a show this much since The Wire.

I am not going to spoiler tag this, as I feel that I am being pretty vague here. If a mod feels differently, feel free to edit it and this sentence out for that matter.

I thought that Mr Robot randomly sitting on the stairwell in Elliot's apartment while being aware of every detail of Elliot's predicament was very on the nose for giving that away.

Also, the week before as Elliot is having his trippy withdrawal experience where you see him with the mask also felt like a way to play with that theory.

I think Mr Robot is going to swerve us all and it's revealed that Tyrell is actually the one with Dissociative Identity Disorder.

EDIT: and I still think Ballers is going to run a Steve McNair type storyline. I thought it might happen to Charles a few episodes ago, but now I'm thinking Ricky's "ex" will go ballistic sometime down the line, and... yeah.

• Like 1

I think Mr Robot is going to swerve us all and it's revealed that Tyrell is actually the one with Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Yeah I have seen that theory pop up a few times. I'd have to go back and watch the first episode again to see if that is feasible. That scene when they are both at the table with the FBI. There was definitely something off about that first scene in episode 2.

The entire Steel Mountain episode gave off a strange vibe, to me.

Going into that episode I was expecting Tyrell to blatantly help. He did just not as blatant as I was expecting. I guess I can see some similarity in what Elliot said to the guy that gave him the tour to what Tyrell said about the waiter. The waiter did give them 2 salads but once disillusion is in the equation can't trust anything you see. Elliot and Mr Robot have been reminding me of cartoons I watched as a kid in a way. When a cartoon character would have an angel in one ear and a devil in the other. Their interactions have been reminding me of that. The longer the mystery is in place the better. The only thing that scares me is how Elliot talks to us the viewer. Based on the quality of the show I don't expect them to do something crazy with that but the possibility is there.

Am I alone in thinking the most recent episode of Rick and Morty was the show's best or on par with Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind? From Roy going back to the carpet store to the incredible song by Jemaine and even the Jerry b-plot was great.

This and Archer are my favourite things on TV by far.

• Like 2

I finally watched Breaking Bad and I don't get what the fuss is all about. It's decent with some good characters (Gus, Mike, Saul, Hank), but it was just... nothing special. I would have stopped watching in the third season if it hadn't been for all the rave reviews and it being hailed as one of the best TV series in history. I tried to not let all that praise get to me, but I'm sure that also played a part in my disappointment. I wouldn't even rank it in my top 50, probably. Very disappointed.

Ron Funches just had the best bit on The Meltdown on Comedy Central that I think we can all relate to. I'll paraphrase:

I love wrestling. I really do, and I hate it when people try and make me feel bad for liking it. They come to you and say stuff like, "You know that stuff you like, with the pageantry? And the fireworks? And the shiny gold belts? That's fake." Of course, I know it's fake. What kind of insane person would I have to be to want it to be real? Something where people get into minor disagreements and use that as an excuse to bodyslam each other? Where a man walks around with a snake in a bag to bite his opponents? Where that doesn't work on the Undertaker because he doesn't have any blood?

The delivery just killed it. Now I know why he went onto @Midnight dressed like this

361y8bz.jpg

Ron Funches just had the best bit on The Meltdown on Comedy Central that I think we can all relate to. I'll paraphrase:

I love wrestling. I really do, and I hate it when people try and make me feel bad for liking it. They come to you and say stuff like, "You know that stuff you like, with the pageantry? And the fireworks? And the shiny gold belts? That's fake." Of course, I know it's fake. What kind of insane person would I have to be to want it to be real? Something where people get into minor disagreements and use that as an excuse to bodyslam each other? Where a man walks around with a snake in a bag to bite his opponents? Where that doesn't work on the Undertaker because he doesn't have any blood?

The delivery just killed it. Now I know why he went onto @Midnight dressed like this

361y8bz.jpg

If you watch Hardwick's Celebrity Bowling with the WWE from 2013, Funches cuts promos on the WWE competitors.

• Like 1

Watched Wet Hot American Summer:First Day of Camp. Poor Michael Showalter aged like a normal human being while completely surrounded by Hollywood vampires.

Showalter being so visibly aged and out of shape makes Coop look even more awkward. It's perfect. I gotta think he and Wain specifically decided on that when putting this all together.

• Like 1