DVDVR Message Board

Mission: Impossible Film Series Thread

RonL21

Didn't realize just how ancient the thread was, 'cause I half-ass went looking for it earlier before just giving up and commenting in the Upcoming Movies thread. 

Wouldn't be stunned if that's not the final product because the sound and picture aren't always clicking together and there are some choppy choices. But I bet that final shot sticks. Wild, Wile E. Coyote stuff. Ready to see it on the big screen with Top Gun Maverick. 

On 8/1/2015 at 2:59 PM, The Natural said:

Furious 7 was my first Fast and the Furious film this year and Rogue Nation was my first Mission: Impossible film last night. I right liked it. Maybe a bit too twisty at the end? I perhaps would have got more out of the references in Rogue Nation to events in the previous films if I'd seen them. Tom Cruise may be small but his balls sure aren't doing stunts like he does in this film and I'd seen the Burj Khalifa Ghost Protocol stunt previously as it made the news while Cruise was promoting the film. More Rebecca Ferguson in the next entry please, what a bad ass! Going to be hard to top what Cruise and Ferguson did in this movie. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the remaining film in the series to complete the set, know Ghost Protocol is well regarded.

I've seen all the Mission: Impossible films. Here's my ranking:

6. Mission: Impossible 2 (2000).

5. Mission: Impossible (1996).

4. Mission: Impossible 3 (2006).

3. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018).

2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011).

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015).

Edited by The Natural

I’ve appreciated how little continuity there’s been throughout the series (especially once James Bond disappeared inside of Christopher Nolan’s ass and became serialized) but the Kittridge return and the shots referencing the De Palma movie have me hyped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I’ve appreciated how little continuity there’s been throughout the series (especially once James Bond disappeared inside of Christopher Nolan’s ass and became serialized) but the Kittridge return and the shots referencing the De Palma movie have me hyped. 

The last two movies have been more serialized showing a connection throughout the movies. I did have this really crazy, wacky idea that we would wind up seeing Jon Voight's character alive and well, but that would be a bridge way too far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The last two movies have been more serialized showing a connection throughout the movies. I did have this really crazy, wacky idea that we would wind up seeing Jon Voight's character alive and well, but that would be a bridge way too far. 

It’d be cool to have him cameo and then the twist is it’s someone else in a Phelps mask just screwing with Hunt, but that would unfortunately involve paying Jon Voight. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It’d be cool to have him cameo and then the twist is it’s someone else in a Phelps mask just screwing with Hunt, but that would unfortunately involve paying Jon Voight. 

Yeah, I thought about that too and I'm hoping the last paycheck Voight gets is from that Ray Donovan movie. I think Hunt wouldn't even buy that Phelps is alive, but I keep thinking we'll get some kind of return from a past villain. It sucks that they murked Henry Cavill's character because that would be a neat return.

I'm fucking stoked though. M:I has surpassed basically every other movie series for me. Every movie winds up being better than the next, whereas the Fast series has been just a bunch of diminishing returns with each new movie and it gets less and less fun.

• 11 months later...

So fucking amped. If any of the IMF Scooby Gang dies, I'm going to riot. Well, I might accept Luther, but seeing the all mighty Phineas Phreak kick the bucket would still wreck me.

I also love Del from Ozark basically still playing Del from Ozark. He better hope IMF doesn't enlist any shotgun toting hillbillies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

That 2h43m runtime sounds ponderous but it looks to be so action packed and stuffed with info that it will be done before you know it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That 2h43m runtime sounds ponderous but it looks to be so action packed and stuffed with info that it will be done before you know it.

Yeah, a long film can feel short and vice versa. So important.

I got my daughter, who is 13, to watching M:I with me. We basically watched it in chunks, but I told her since she's into whodunnits and things like that then she might dig the series. She also knew I was more than excited for Dead Reckoning. We made it through the first one and she liked it enough. There were a few things I mentioned to her to remember or to keep in mind as she watched it. One of those things was Max. I was just like, hey, remember this lady and what she does because it becomes important later in the series.

So after 1 I tell her we're not watching 2 because it's really, really, really, really bad. As I was doing a re-watch of the series months ago I was just appalled and amused at how awful that movie is. I made it about 25 minutes before stopping it. Before I did though, because my friends don't remember 2 all that well, I was recording myself giggling at all of the bullshit camera sweeps, zooms, shitty effects, shitty acting, shitty music, and the rest of the bullshit John Woo stuff injected into that movie. My daughter at least wanted to see the opening to see why it was so bad so I showed her and even she was laughing at how bad it was. We stopped when Tom Cruise, in slow motion, throws the glasses at the screen as the glasses self-destruct. That was enough of that. I mentioned to her that the only things that really matter from 2 are 3 things: 1) It introduces the technology to put the voice changer on your neck like a piece of tape, 2) It establishes that Ethan Hunt is good at free solo rock climbing, and 3) it establishes that Ethan is a highly skilled driver or a motorcycle.

We move onto 3 and 3 still fucking rocks. My daughter was on the edge of her seat for the ending sequence with the bomb in Ethan's brain. She also bit on Davian killing fake Julia and was happy Julia wasn't killed. She liked the movie a lot and liked it more than 3.

I have watched 4/Ghost Protocol so many times, but I never liked it as much as I did on this re-watch. For me, the only thing that's hard to suspend my disbelief with is Tom Cruise getting his ass kicked by an old ass, out of shape man. Look, I'll buy Davian being able to do that because Ethan's brain was melting at that point and Davian looked like the had fat man strength. Cobalt in Ghost Protocol was just a dude. That aside, again, my daughter was on the edge of her seat a lot, but missed Luther being in this one until the end. The thing she did like was when Brandt tells the story about how he was assigned to basically watch and protect Ethan and Julia. Ethan goes for a run, Brandt leaves two agents to watch Julia, and when Brandt returns the agents are dead, Julia is gone, and is later told a body was recovered and it was Julia. She my daughter is immediately sad that Julia is actually dead. Then at the end of the movie you see that she's alive and Ethan knew Brandt was the one assigned to watch him and he didn't do anything wrong.

We currently up to 5/Rogue Nation and we finished that. That's her current favorite in the series and I think a big part of that may because it's been the funniest in the series, the stunts have been getting more insane, and Ilsa Faust fucking rules. It was also by this movie that Benji became her favorite character and really, how can you not love Simon Pegg as Benji?

Next up is Fallout and then seeing Dead Reckoning on the 11th. LFG!

• Like 5

Here's how I'd rank the six films:

6. Mission: Impossible III (2006).

5. Mission: Impossible 2 (2000).

4. Mission: Impossible (1996).

3. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018).

2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011).

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015).

You?

Edited by The Natural