DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

I see this on a number of sites. I am surprised WWE hasn't put anything up as it has been at least 40 minutes since this story first broke. R.I.P. to one of the greatest promos of all time. One of the saddest elements of guys like Dusty, Piper, Macho, and Warrior passing is that the art of the insane, over-the-top, and emotional promo has died with them.

• Like 1

The Piper/Bret feud was probably my first real introduction to Piper that I can remember. I was so invested in this feud as a young fan. It's so much better looking back on it because at the time, I was unaware of Piper's past. I just thought he was sorta the "big brother", loud, crazy guy.

• Like 8

Very thankful I got to see him in WCW as a kid and work my way backwards on his stuff. As mentioned above, it's hard not to feel for Flair and other stars from that era after having recently lost Dusty. This is very sad and difficult to process right now. I may have to throw They Live on tonight before I even touch any of his matches.

Piper was one of the guys that got me into wrestling in the first place. Even in his less than coherent later years I was still a fan. I'm gonna miss him. RIP.

Edit: He's also the guy who got me into cheesy 80s movies, which has provided me with a cool income occasionally. I owe him a lot.

I met Roddy Piper for the first time when I was 5 years old. We were at a grocery store and my mom recognized him from TV (I was a big wrestling fan even then) and took me to say hello. Growing up in Beaverton, just a few miles down the road from where Roddy Piper lived, I had the incredible fortune of being able to meet him several times over the course of my life. He was our home town hero. Always showing up at some local event to cut a ribbon, or shake some hands. Roddy Piper was responsible for my life long love affair with wrestling. Even more than Hulk Hogan, or Randy Savage, because Piper was real, he was larger than life, and now he's gone. Rest in peace Hot Rod.

• Like 2

This one kicked me in the gut. Roddy was my favorite wrestler as a kid and even when he was was less active I still marked out when he would appear.

I hope they have bubblegum where he is now, because they don't want to know what it's like if they're out.

RIP

• Like 1

This was probably the first Rowdy Roddy Piper thing I ever encountered, and I still listen to it from time to time. It's a remake of the song 'The World May Not Like Me' and the word 'For' is nonsensically substituted for a certain other F-word and the word 'ass' is replaced by 'trash' (I remember being confused as to why he would want someone to "kiss my trash") and it would be more awesome if he'd sang the original. But it's still awesome, so RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Of all the guys that didnt get a run at the top with the WWE Title, Piper will always be my #1. He could have taken the belt anytime in the 80's and right through to the mid 90's.

How cool would a Piper v "Crazy" Backland title match have been on a random In Your House show back in the day?

I can just see Piper and Dream rolling through the pearly gates to answer the challenge of Owen and Eddie... They are stealing the show from the Yoko v Warrior main event.

God damn this sucks.....