DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Talk about saving the best for last.  That trailer is fucking awesome and the content will probably be bananas.

If that had been one of the first DLC's release followed up by Heists on schedule as promised, I'd still be playing this fucking game online.

4 hours ago, Robert C said:

You can always go back to Los Santos.  it's gotta be better than playing Destiny 2.

I figure this has gotta be the last big update, so that they can avoid cannibalizing RDR2.

I don't play Red Dead, so it doesn't bother me, but it has been delayed, so, expect more GTA things in the meantime. 

Red Dead has been pushed back to sometime in '18. 

I'm looking forward to this new update. Outside of the overall "Hey! New things!" aspect, I'm genuinely interested in this.

The game is STILL in the top 10 for sales, it literally will not die.  So I don't see them stopping new content anytime soon, as long as they're still making money off of it.  RDR may cause some players to leave, but TBH I don't see your average 14 year old named Smokealot420 being too excited about running around on horses and shooting people with six shooters versus having tanks and rocket launchers.

DiscreteDearIncatern-size_restricted.gif

It can be yours for the low, low price of $2.4M  ($3.2M if you haven't done the mission)

There are also bunker ammunition challenges (which are VERY hard to solo) but completion will increase carrying capacities for your explosives (Sticky Bomb, Grenades, and nothing else anyone in the crew cares about) :)

• Like 2

Blue markers are the bunkers. Cheapest one, un-upgraded is $1.1M (Paleto Forest) most expensive is the farmhouse by the prison, fully upgraded will run you about $4M.

QPvhn3_TlJBLh6cmbKOTyzLPa6jtF7e-N4_dejrq

3 hours ago, Robert C said:

Gun running update is apparently live.  They had me at armor piercing heavy sniper.  

How about explosive ammo... 

https://streamable.com/gsqat

I'm not sure about any of you, but I am looking forward to Hydra free skies. 

• Like 3

I've been into it about an hour, so I don't have the hang of everything.

The upgrades work similarly to MC drug houses - more staff (produce more crap), better security, etc. The whole thing reminds me more of MC work than CEO work, though there are special vehicles to unlock via special missions like in the car running update. (You can buy them anytime for full price, or get a discount if you finish the mission).

18 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

What are the upgrades and are they worth it?

GTA Series Videos does god's work. This is a video of every location for the bunkers on the actual playing field.  Additionally you go through the cutscene with Steve Haines. Then they show you the upgrades.  

And yes, Stout is right, it looks very MC business-like. 

You can steal supplies or buy them to make more crap - you can also choose to focus solely on producing stock to sell or focus on producing upgrades to various weaponry (haven't gotten that far yet) or split your staff on doing both (which I did).

My first sale was uncomplicated, helped by a handy (you guessed it) room dump - ah, GTA, never change. I'm guessing you have to have your staff research and create new weaponry, because there's absolutely nothing new in AmmuNation.

This one separates the haves from the have nots even more. OK, gotta have a bunker to do weapon research. Gotta have the 18-wheeler to actually mod your weapons after doing the research. And the mods are freaking just insanely expensive.

Each mod takes a decent bit to research, unless you pay $225,000 to speed up the process and unlock a mod. My second mod (I spent the money for now, just to see what happened) was to my heavy sniper. To simply turn it into a Mark II so you could begin to mod it cost a fortune. much like the Benny's cars. Then the mods cost a fortune - I improved the number of shots in a clip and bought a different barrel to keep recoil down. The gun does seem to perform better.

There are different types of ammo - armor piercing, explosive, etc., but they must be unlocked with further research. Which takes a while unless you have the $225,000 to pay. And then it costs money to upgrade to a type of ammo. And this is just for one gun, mind you.

I don't have hard numbers to back it up, but selling arms, to me, seems to be pretty damn profitable. They got clever and introduced a new wrinkle into stealing supplies and selling arms - the missions I did were perfectly playable by one player, but would really work best with two. I never let product build up enough to have the game scream at me about needing two people, but I sure do wish I had two on one of the missions. I finished it, but it was harder than it needed to be. I'd say it'd be damn near impossible with a room full of people gunning for your ass.

In the time I was in a populated room, everybody seemed to be leaving everyone alone, for the most part - I think everybody's trying out the new crap, seeing how it works. You can be either a CEO or a MC president and run guns - it's handy 'cause you have your Buzzard available as a CEO.

• Like 1

Messed around with this last night.  I don't have enough to buy a bunker yet.  That's gonna take some time, if it ever happens.

Various notes:

Solo room glitch is finally glitched.  Long may you run, beloved glitch.

Ran a couple of the new missions with Stout.  One had us shooting down aircraft in an armed dunebuggy.  The other had us steal a halftrack.  They were both pretty manageable.  

The bunker Stout bought is enormous.  It also has golf carts in it.  I'm picturing golf cart races in the bunker on two beer night.

Shit is, unsurprisingly, very very expensive.

Lots of those flying motorcycles about.  I didn't get a chance to see if you can lock onto one with a heatseeker.

Ran into a guy driving around that new APC with the rockets on the roof.  Those things are surprisingly hard to blow up.  Took 5 sticky bombs and 5 or 6 rockets to get rid of. Worst part - it cost me 20K in insurance fees.  That's probably the stupidest thing I've run into in the game.  What's next, insurance on Hydras?

That dude with the rockets on the roof was bad news. I think a lot of it was me thinking "what the fuck is that?" when I ran into it, a question that got answered with a quickness. Guy was nice enough to give me the $5,000 bounty I had on me when he killed me, so I can't complain.

I see no use to spend money on the gunned-up dune buggy (gun can't rotate 360 degrees) or the gunned up half-track (the gun has been done a million ways in this game already - Insurgents, pick-up trucks, limos).

This is just MC work reskinned with a touch of the car-stealing missions. That's fine, new content is new content, but there isn't much to it.

I only had $8M or so when I started this, so I was frugal in my choices. Bought the cheapest bunker with only one upgrade (gun range). Bought the truck with what I was told was required in terms of bays (command center and weapon + vehicle mod lab). All of that set me back over $6.5M, and I haven't done a single upgrade yet.

I literally want nothing out of this game other than to buy one of those motorcycles and fly it around freemode. Even if I can unlock the trade price I'm gonna need over a million more to do it, and that of course doesn't include the missile upgrade. GAH!

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

So the cutscenes with Steve Haines solidly confirm that everything that happens in GTA Online is the prequel to GTA5.

That was pretty well proven back during Trevor's heist, when he breaks his Impotent Rage figure that later shows up in single-player.

8 minutes ago, jstout said:

That was pretty well proven back during Trevor's heist, when he breaks his Impotent Rage figure that later shows up in single-player.

I thought that The Lost were the ones that broke Trevor's IR statuette?

The cheek, Ron.  The fucking cheek!