DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Can I pretend the game was released yesterday and ask some obvious questions?

1) Did there used to be six stars, why is there now five?

2) Why doesnt the wanted level go away when I go in my safehouse?

That's actually all I wondered. Glad to know theres possibly a heist available, i'm also at the 100-110k range but i've hardly played lately. Tomorrow night I shall get some hours in. If anyones up for races and survival, then i'll be on a few hours UK time at night.

Fresh, right after you left I did a mission for Madrazo that payed 9k it was super easy and fast.

Damnit. I wish they'd turn on microtransactions. I'd pay $20 to get a really awesome apartment with a 10 car garage. Right now I just feel like I'm grinding.I'm probably gonna play some late-night tonight.

It used to be

* Cops looking for you

** Lots of Cops

*** Chopper support

**** Special agents in sports cars

***** FBI/SWAT

****** Army

They merged two and three. Actually FBI and the Special Agents might have been the other way around.

Eh? Choppers don't show up until 3 stars.

Finally got my internet back up and got on this morning, made my character, raced and capped some drug dealers and the whole thing froze up.  Restarted the game and when I go to load online it just goes to an empty parking lot and freezes so looks like I'll delete my guy and try again tomorrow.

Finally got my internet back up and got on this morning, made my character, raced and capped some drug dealers and the whole thing froze up. Restarted the game and when I go to load online it just goes to an empty parking lot and freezes so looks like I'll delete my guy and try again tomorrow.

Don't delete your guy or create a new one. Sometimes they come back in a few hours if you don't save over them.

Tonight's been much better, moneywise. Ironically I got over $15K from a mostly empty server, first from a bounty, then from a $5K Trevor crate, then from bringing a car to Simeon. Up about $20K net for the night so far, and now I'm sitting in glfpunk's car on a mission watching his spastic driving.

I just did a mission with RUkered, where he (I assume) did ABSOLUTELY everything and I did nothing but get killed and get swarmed on by the cops. It was sad - I wanted to put on at least a show of competency.

It was one of those car-repossession deals, and I hate it when the car's moving around. I've never seen a car look as beaten as that one was by the time he was done with it. I think it was missing the hood and both doors. 

I would say the game should divide the money depending on who does the work, but I would've gotten absolutely zero for that one. Fun stuff.

Tonight's been much better, moneywise. Ironically I got over $15K from a mostly empty server, first from a bounty, then from a $5K Trevor crate, then from bringing a car to Simeon. Up about $20K net for the night so far, and now I'm sitting in glfpunk's car on a mission watching his spastic driving.

I had to throw him out of the car so I could take the wheel during one mission with him because he was driving so shitty. He made up latter when we played the gas truck mission, though.

I had to throw him out of the car so I could take the during one mission with him because he was driving so shitty. He made up latter when we played the gas truck mission, though.

That mission got so fucked up. Someone died during the initial firefight (Think it was glf, though I'm honestly not sure) and as we were driving away in the RV we jacked, glfpunk died, but I guess the game decided he died with his foot on the gas and his hands on the wheel, cuz he started driving around in circles, WHILE DEAD, with me in the passenger seat. I couldn't push him out the door, all I could do is hop out. Thankfully after a couple minutes of circling, he was stopped by a helpful telephone pole and I was able to throw his corpse out into the desert and finish the mission.

Anyway, tonight's gone very well moneywise, so at $154K, it's time to go househunting.

• Like 1

Picked up the $125K one, the cheapest one that has a 6-car garage. The West Vinewood location is pretty centralized, and views and shit don't come into play until you're up around $300-400K. Next goal is gonna be to fill up that garage with cars and start modding them up. My current Radius, (which, if you're willing to trade a little top speed and a bit more than a little quick acceleration, has a lot to recommend it. All those light little imports can get bullied around by a big SUV with armor and engine upgrades) has the first spot, of course. The next four will be a faster 4-door, an even faster 2-door, a dune buggy for off-road, and a bike. The 6th slot I'll leave open in case I decide to get a supercar before I get one of the 10-car apts.

There's a mission you unlock at level 75 that gives you $25,000. And can be exploited to beat that mission in about 15 second if you shoot a grenade through the right window. A high-level player invited me and we did it a bunch of times.

I had to throw him out of the car so I could take the during one mission with him because he was driving so shitty. He made up latter when we played the gas truck mission, though.
That mission got so fucked up. Someone died during the initial firefight (Think it was glf, though I'm honestly not sure) and as we were driving away in the RV we jacked, glfpunk died, but I guess the game decided he died with his foot on the gas and his hands on the wheel, cuz he started driving around in circles, WHILE DEAD, with me in the passenger seat. I couldn't push him out the door, all I could do is hop out. Thankfully after a couple minutes of circling, he was stopped by a helpful telephone pole and I was able to throw his corpse out into the desert and finish the mission.Anyway, tonight's gone very well moneywise, so at $154K, it's time to go househunting.
I was laughing my ass off as i watched my slumped over corpse drive that RV around in circles. And it was basically a circle around you. You're in the middle trying to figure out how to stop it chasing it in circles on foot. What a scene. Wish I could have played longer. And yeah, Gonzalez is quick to snatch someone out the drivers seat lol.

Finally managed to get through all 10 rounds of a survival (the railyard one, where you can hide in the shack at the north end and almost all of the attackers spawn far away at the north entrance, so it's sniper city).Then I spent all my money on guns, gun mods and car mods. But I'm up to level 27, and my stats are looking impressive now. Some level 4 idiot tried to rob me at the ATM. His pistol vs my Assault Rifle. Then he kept coming back until I'd killed him three or four times.The other time, I was coming out of the Clothes shop and someone was waiting in the car lot and shot me in the head. I respawned, hunted him down and killed him, and while he was respawning I put a sticky bomb on his car. He came after me, I drove away, he got in his car to chase me, BOOM!But basically, I try to do most of my shopping at Sandy Shores now. Too many idiots in the city.

No helicopter, no fun. Dumb mission is dumb.

Lester is awful. He gave me super hard mission, I had to go around LS and blow police cars, bikes and shit ON A TIME LIMIT. Then the whole "we need an helicopter, no one has one, there are no helicopters in the airport" mission.

Good times.

I did manage to make it level 10 last night and by robbing stores (poor guy who worked at 24/7 probably got fired after I robbed him 4 times in a row) got enough cash to get a shitty garage under a freeway overpass.  Also did my first parachute race and somehow got 2nd place out of 8 people.

On the single player side, I completed the second heist and am making progress on the third, which included finding the mask shop.  So now my Trevor is going around Los Santos like a methed out El Santo in his suit and lucha mask.  Also did some of the souveneir side missions.  LOVE FIST~!

I finally beat the story last night.  I ended up at around 40 hours and that was with skipping most of the side-missions and not doing property missions, races, etc.  Some end of game thoughts:

- I chose option C because I'm not a complete sociopath.  Unfortunately I forgot to make a save beforehand so I'll have to play through again to try the other options.  The Deathwish mission was pretty good and was probably the best use of the switching mechanic, having to go back and forth to assist characters and keep from getting flanked.  

- They clearly internalized the criticism of lack of closure of plot threads in GTA IV.  Getting to murder everyone who had wronged us at the end was a nice touch.

- The heist system was awesome and should have been used even more.  I went the quiet way on the UD job and they did a great job of creating tension in the first half of the heist even when all you're doing is just walking through corridors.  I hope it gets used even more in the DLC

- The torture mission was bad.  Badly conceived and badly executed.  If you're going to make a commentary about brutality and violence you can't make it a one-off mission (that's never mentioned again) and then celebrate it in every other aspect of your game.  And I'm not sure GTA is the game to be making that kind of commentary in the first place.

- They did a pretty good job of avoiding the Tenpenny problem and giving (fairly) reasonable motivations for you to be working for the people you're working for.  There are some slip-ups, but I applaud them for being as consistent as they were across the three characters.

-Meeting Trevor's Mom post-game explains so, so much.

All in all I'd call it the best GTA in a walk.  The highest compliment I can pay is that as soon as I finished it I wanted to play it again.

I guess it's time to dive into GTA:O, although that might not happen until I get my PS3 back to my house.

We're up to 51 members in the crew, which moves us up another division - whatever that entails, maybe bigger bonuses?

What does the JP mean?  I'm assuming it's Job Points and the more you have, the more/better jobs you get offered.

Lester is awful. He gave me super hard mission, I had to go around LS and blow police cars, bikes and shit ON A TIME LIMIT.

I tried that one by myself and gave up after 3-4 attempts. I blew up the first two cop cars with a grenade, no problem. Then I had to blow up a SWAT van, but I couldn't figure out how to get inside the gate before getting shot to death or the time expired. I tried lobbing some grenades over the wall, but my aim sucked.

And jstout - if you feel like you need some redemption, just invite me into a survival or a gang attack and watch as I try to go into cover, miss it and go into cover at the wrong angle, leaving myself completely exposed. Then I panic and try to outrun the swarm of bullets that my back is soaking up, usually ending up getting shot to death from four different angles simultaneously.

Or when I finally bought a sniper rifle, I thought I was being all slick on that mission where you drive into the LA spillway (I think that's what it's called?) and steal drugs. I parked in what I thought was a safe enough distance to snipe, got out of the car, aimed, and got blasted in the face to death.