DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I LOVE Four-Way Jumps. Probably my favorite race in GTA. The best "pure" race in the game is Stock Market Crash. I have a very sentimental spot for both Chicken Drifting and the very similar one that I can't think of the title of (something about ramps) on that Zancudo bridge that has tons of very little ramps on it. Setting the traffic "on" may be the best thing ever, because NPC cars start stacking up. I also love the dirt bike race that follows that little creek.

The proximity mines we have now would certainly make any GTA race a challenge if someone just wants to blow people up.

I won a couple of those arena roof races. The key to it was to stay away from the outside part of the track (your ass every time), ignore the power-ups and just keep your head down and not make any waves. Dan would get me a couple of times here and there, but he'd usually be so focused on everyone else that if I just stayed as close to the inside as possible and not did anything flashy, I wouldn't be as much of a target.

I also loved the crew kickoff race there for a while where you start by basically falling off the cliff at the dam and then scramble from there.

I think the new In and Out mode would've been a blast on crew night. Two teams, package in center. Both teams try to get package, run to opposing "goal line." Person with package gets faster, but loses ability to shoot. Everyone else doesn't. All weapons or forced + pickups. I've only played one on one, but it seems like something that would be a hoot with more people involved.

So would the Sumo mode - cars battle on rooftops to push each other off. Of course the Maze Bank was included.

• Like 1

Jump, Jump, Jump and Jump And Die were very fun standards

Four-Way Jumps was at it best when you had folks going in each direction

I still remember the very first time we did that race with the train coming straight at you at the start.

Good Times...

• Like 2

Hasta la Vista is a great game mode,that people would have loved if it hadn't come out at the exact same time as Heists did.

Update is ... interesting. Added hilariously pricey offices. Added a few new VIP-type activities. I think you have to have offices to do some of the new VIP stuff. The offices do have some fun features - a gun storage locker and a safe - but the cheapest one decked out is probably gonna run you 3 mil.

Fancy faster cars, one slower car that looks cool. I had to buy the Rolls-Royce convertible. Looks sharp. Now all I wanna do is quit playing, but the game servers are down and I'd like to make sure everything is saved. But it looks like they're not coming back up. Finally it just kicked me out. So, it's:

1. Come up with expensive McGuffin

2. Tie new activities to McGuffin

3. Profit.

• Like 3

I really like the new update. CEO stuff is quite enjoyable, Maze Bank apartment with the accoutrements is very convenient. Best update in a while. The Atari-like game, "Don't Cross The Line", you can play against someone at your new apartment is a real bastard though. 

This just in...a Rockstar gamer who goes by the alias of Robert C a.k.a. Bikini McFaceTat terrorized a local harbor today.

Witnesses say white dots were simply enjoying a leisurely swim when a large tugboat crept into the docks and suddenly exploded, killing everyone instantly. More at 11.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RUkered said:

This just in...a Rockstar gamer who goes by the alias of Robert C a.k.a. Bikini McFaceTat terrorized a local harbor today.

Witnesses say white dots were simply enjoying a leisurely swim when a large tugboat crept into the docks and suddenly exploded, killing everyone instantly. More at 11.

Yeah, I ain't gonna lie.  First thing that I thought of was, I gotta allah akbar somebody in a tugboat.  Course, if I bought one, I'd barely have enough cash left over for the explosives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Yeah, I ain't gonna lie.  First thing that I thought of was, I gotta allah akbar somebody in a tugboat.  Course, if I bought one, I'd barely have enough cash left over for the explosives.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Other first thought I had - shoulda killed more hookers.

I totally killed enough hookers.  Didnt you get a couple million from "selling" yourself that one night?  I mean, once the dvdr pimps got their cut

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, misanthrope304 said:

I totally killed enough hookers.  Didnt you get a couple million from "selling" yourself that one night?  I mean, once the dvdr pimps got their cut

Yeah, I got about 10 million that way, but that money is long gone.  To borrow from George Best, I spent a lot of money on bullets, explosives, and blowed up personal vehicles.  The rest I just squandered.

• Like 2

Always nice of Rockstar to make sure the servers can handle the load of everyone playing a big update, he says jokingly. Servers are complete shit right now. Couldn't connect to Roast at all. Thing's just dying not to work.

Just cashed in the rest of my hooker bonds - I have almost 7 million to my name. The Arcadius Center office is 4 million completely decked out. That's what I may go for. The offices look fun - just was an "associate" - new term for bodyguard - for someone with one.

I still have plenty of my own cars I could sell if I go broke.

EDIT: The minigames are fun. One involving getting crates off a boat is TOUGH. Lots of resistance.

First you buy the office, then you buy the warehouses. This has the potential of being very expensive.

If you're thinking of buying an office, the safe is worthless. It's merely a graphic representation of your money - you still have to bank your money. Also, if you get the accommodations option, it means you can start a session there, but there's no garage like a regular apartment. All properties have helipads. The gun locker's a good way to store weapons you don't want to carry around but want to keep. The cheapest office, with gun safe and no accommodations, is $1.52 million.

With just four offices jammed into two locations, both places are gonna be war zones. I think Del Perro will be worse because it's near that pretty popular apartment. But hell, the other two are in the middle of town, so pick your poison. I think you can trade up or down by selling at a 50 percent loss, like apartments.

DOUBLE EDIT: Just spent most of the night playing some GTA with our twin brother from another mother, Austrian sensation Herby~!

The good news: He's landed what he describes as his "dream job." First, he trained to be a baker. Then he trained to be an engineer. So now, he's got a job showing people how to bake using the company he works for's machinery. He's even getting sent to Florida later this summer to show people at Burger King how to use his company's product.

The bad news: This new shit is a farce. He bought the biggest warehouse, has 44 crates in it and can get $500,000 out of it. But 44 crates is just an incredible butt-ton of serious, serious work for $500,000. Problem is, every crate is a jump ball, and if you're in a crowded room, the odds are against you. The best you can hope for is to be in a public room (gotta be a public room) with just a few people in it. Even then, it's TEDIOUS to fly all over the place. Go get this here, bring it there.

Another problem: Bodyguards get nothing out of helping deliver crates, because you don't sell them as you get them, you sell them later, maybe much later. It's gonna make it harder to find bodyguards because no one will want to do all that work and not get paid.

All that new stuff has potential, but it's mainly wasted with this update.

• Like 2

I expected it with this new update - servers struggled under usual game load, but add new people to it and it was a mess. The game not saving was a big pain for a while.

I just think it's crazy that they expect you to go through all this gameplay trouble - giving every asshole in Freemode a reason to screw with you (profit!) and making the payoff insignificant when compared to the trouble. They're just asking people to keep grinding the heists, which people were already doing.

Oh well, there's always Rocket League. $20 for a bunch of mindless fun. Herby talked me into talking him into buying it. Soccer with cars? Shiiiiiiit, that's straight up Herby's alley. That's like chocolate and peanut butter. No brainer.

Another edit: Yep, screw this. I collected four crates and wondered what happens if you sell them, right? I paid probably $5,000 to get the four crates, and someone wanted to buy them for $50,000. Not a bad profit. So I cashed out. I checked my bank account, nothing there. I'm forced to exit my warehouse.

Turns out you have to take the crates to a drop-off point to sell them. And you guessed it, the game lets everyone (a 24-player room in this case) know what you're trying to do. If someone blows you up (at least the truck was kinda armored), then you may lose all of your stuff or you may not.

So I'm driving along and nearly come face to face with one of those rocket helicopters with the two gunners on the side, right? Guy launches a rocket into me, I absorb it, but the second one does me in. All my crates are gone. It's not the money, it's the work.

Basically, this new update lives to put a target on your back and encourages teams of four armed-to-the-teeth teenage assholes to constantly fuck with you for their profit. You can't beat them - they're all traveling around in gunner insurgents, military helicopters, Kurumas, God knows what, griefing the living shit out of you while you simply try to get something, anything done.

I'd say this'll calm down, like how VIP work was SO crazy until people got tired of it. But until it does, Jesus. The only hope anyone will have of making this new money is landing in tiny rooms or landing in rooms where everyone's getting along on purpose and staying out of people's way.

I thought we were in a room last night like that - everyone cut each other lots of slack - but as soon as we start doing any sort of work, here everyone came.

It's really an arms race, and if you don't have some of the bestest toys, you suck. It also REALLY pays to have backup, but they've all gotta be armed to the teeth. Like I was telling Herby last night, we never had any of this crap when we started playing - we learned to play without it - and now that it's there, we won't bother to use it because we're used to playing the way we play. Meanwhile, a bunch of these folks have the latest and greatest toys and love to use them.

So, after filling up my 111 crate warehouse, we decided to see what shenanigans we'd entail when I sold the whole collection. Game tells us to head to the docks. One in a jet, one in a Buzzard and two of us get on the Shockmaster Tugboat and sail about as far as the aircraft carrier is located in the Hydra/Labs mission. We rendezvous with a sailboat.....and that's it. $2.4 for me, nothing for the rest of the crew...

tough_enough.gif

• Like 1

I made it as far as installing the update last night, but that was all I managed before my son decided it was party time.

So, if we're ever gonna do this new shit, we basically gotta have the night shift back together, I'm guessing?  Plus we'd need JT to coordinate us.  Otherwise the folks that are supposed to be guarding shit would probably wander off and start shit with random dots, knowing how we usually operate.

• Like 1

Yeah. The plus side for associates is they get paid for gathering the storage crates while the CEO doesn't. The minus side is they get SFA at the end while the CEO gets a big payoff.

It's a pretty effective criticism of capitalism, really, though if you want to subvert the trope, you can of course share chunks of your payoff via the interaction menu.

That's true, about the sharing. However for that $2.4 payoff at the end, it wouldn't let me give anybody a cut. Which is BS, because I sure as shit didn't need it. Oh well. The CEO missions are still fun, for myself at least. It's something new and fun to do, while inter-splicing free roam kills. Good thing about it also, when you have 4 (or 3 great players including yourself collectively), is that you're not required to have everyone team up. You just need a solid backup or two and the others can go fuck around in a jet providing assistance when needed and just causing chaos. 

But if you're by yourself, it's a shitshow. I actually managed to turn in one crate last night, only because I had the room to my freakin' self. One time, I tried to turn in two, but it wanted me to, goddammit, drop them off via airplane. I smashed one, then smashed the other when I ran into a mountain.

I made more money in 10 minutes of the assassination mini-game than I did from hauling crates around for at least an hour.

Plus, stupid me spent a bunch of money on buying three warehouses in a triangle pattern, thinking that if I got sent to the left-hand side of the map, I could drop the crates off at my left-hand side of the map warehouse, right? Nope. You specify what warehouse you wanna go to when you start the minigame, and it always puts you the same distance away from the warehouse (a long-ass way). Having more than one warehouse is stupid unless you just want to see different areas of the map when chasing crates. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now, can't sell warehouses, only trade them in (on the same size of warehouses).

I still say that even if they started letting people chase crates in private rooms, spamming missions and heists will still earn you more money quicker. I do like the office, though, that's neat.

Watched a video yesterday of a guy doing some cheat thing.  Don't even remember what the cheat was, but after he did it, he started Mary Louing while in the first person view.  Damn if I didn't about puke from watching it and getting motion sickness.  No first person for me, because the alternative is unthinkable.  Taking away my Mary Lou would be like taking away Melraz's heavy sniper or Stout's sticky bombs.  Such a thing cannot be.

• Like 2