DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Now I've used the phrase "I've done a thousand Deathmatches" quite  few times, for quite  while now. But now I actually have literally done 1,000 deathmatches total. I'm 551-449 overall.

So I got the Gamestop flyer for the week and they were promoting

GTA V $39.99 and get like $1.25 million in online cash

I don't know why this makes me giggle so

Of course - I also got angry because a 4895 year old game is selling for $10 MORE than copies of Mass Effect: Andromeda is now

Fucking Bioware

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the popularity of this game drops off (which, to be fair, it barely has given how old it is,) it seems like there are more people who will get hyper-aggro when you get one up on them. Like their entire world becomes about proving to themselves that they're better.

Got in a relatively small lobby last night (about 10 people) and I see someone is doing executive search in Paleto Bay. I fly my Oppressor to the north, ending up repeatedly turbo-boosting on the train tracks in the tunnel through the base of Mt. Chilliad. I go off-radar and fly into town. The CEO is massacring NPCs, so it's pretty easy to find them and take them out. 1-0.

I get back on the Oppressor and head south towards the city. They go ghost, which immediately clues me into what's coming. About 30 seconds later, on the north side of the hills north of the city, I get the lock-on warning. Now the Oppressor is maneuverable as fuck, so I evade his rockets, locking onto his Buzzard at the same time. A bit of a fight happens where he evades for a bit and ducks behind a ridge. After a moment, he comes back in, but I'm ready, able to rocket behind him and loop around to target him with enough rockets to take him out. 2-0.

I get back to the city, going after a bounty (which I get) and in comes dude with a jet. I weave through the tall buildings and force him to circle to evade missiles, and he ends up crashing into a building. The game won't count that as a kill but I will. 3-0.

At this point my Oppressor's out of missiles. I go ghost and land. Now I COULD go MC to refresh the vehicle's missiles, but I've got these lovely three minutes of invisibility. I use the time to sneak up on the dude who came after me and take him out with a shotgun butt to the back of the head. 4-0.

I move away from them, go MC, refresh my Oppressor, and head off to go bank money from the bounty and the Exec Search. When that's done, dude is back in a buzzard coming after me. I get off the bike and launch a single homing rocket. 5-0.

Dude goes and gets a Hydra, goes passive, flies over to where I am and messages me "Fight me or get booted, your choice."

I go passive to respond: "Was I not fighting you all those times I killed you?"

Him: "No, you were running."

Me: "Hmm. Seems like it's been pretty effective, as a strategy."

Him: "Fight me 1v1 no bike no jet no otr".

Me: "...you're literally in a jet right now."

Him: "You're afraid to fight me 1v1."

Me: "In the end, we are all our own final bosses. Learn to win the game...within."

Him: "f!!k u"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gotta try those.

I haven't been on a while, but I get the sense that the lobbies are getting smaller and everyone wants to just mind their own business and do their weapons/cars/drugs/crates crap. So when someone comes along and busts up the fun, people get a little pissy about it.

Having tried about a half-dozen of these races...I'm actually pretty meh. There's a few interesting bits but mostly you're just tacking on mini-races involving the different vehicles together. Yeah, the bumping and pitting tends to be pretty bad since a lot of it is about confined spaces, but everyone trying this means there's a ton of portions of the races that the other racers have little or no idea HOW to fuck you. I had someone trying to sideswipe me in the truck with the cowcatcher. I just slowed a bit and flipped them. *shrug*

And whoever decided that one race needed a SAILBOAT section needs to be punched in the face(tm Daniel Bryan).

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Is there a bicycle section? We used to have some pretty epic bicycle races on crew nights.

Don't forget the utility vehicle races.  Dunno which was more fun, the one where I ran over RUKered's moped with a tractor, or the one half of us couldn't make it up a hill.

9 minutes ago, CSC said:

Those bike races are pretty much what I dream that RDR2 horses races are going to be.  

We'd better be able to kick each other during horse racing.  I'm gonna be sad otherwise.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CSC said:

Just go full Road Rash with kicks to the lower body and punches to the face.  

But really I want every racing game ever to be Road Rash.  

You can do this in GTA now. Kicks and melee weapon attacks. 

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Why Road Rash hasn't made a comeback is beyond me. Would seem to be a natural to play online.

This. As great as it was before, I’d have to imagine it’d be amazing now. 

On 10/18/2017 at 10:15 PM, Robert C said:

Don't forget the utility vehicle races.  Dunno which was more fun, the one where I ran over RUKered's moped with a tractor, or the one half of us couldn't make it up a hill.

We'd better be able to kick each other during horse racing.  I'm gonna be sad otherwise.

That was one of the funnier nights, among the 7000 we've had. If I'm remembering correctly, I was standing around with my hands in my pockets, basically. No idea why I wasn't racing at the moment, but I panned the camera around JUST in time to go OH SHIT. *splat*

• Like 1

So I bought a gold gun tint, and tracer rounds, for my Mark II SMG. I thought it was going to look all sorts of spectacular. And then I tried using it, and, well...

On the plus side, I've figured out how to make the camera move now. Looks great. 

On 10/18/2017 at 9:29 PM, jstout said:

Why Road Rash hasn't made a comeback is beyond me. Would seem to be a natural to play online.

The racing in The Lost and the Damned was pretty much Road Rash.  I was really hoping they would have done a DLC for GTAV around the Lost, the stuff with Trevor/Johnny in the story mode really hinted towards it.

In an interview with Game Informer - Rockstar said that the reasons there was never single player DLC was

1) First they had to fix multiplayer

2) Then they had to port to the next generation

3) Then they had to work on Red Dead Redemption 2

The part that really made me slap my knee was they threw out "WE WOULD STILL LIKE TO DO IT EVENTUALLY!!!!"

• Like 1