DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I was bringing so much awesome that now I keep crashing when trying to play GTA online. Rockstar probably did it to level the playing field to give everyone else a chance. Or maybe they just wanted to deprive griefers of their favorite target. Either way.

Scared my Xbox, specifically the hard drive, is shitting the bed. Skyrim, which I have installed on my hard drive, crashed fairly early into gameplay last night (though it has a tendency to do that), while I played Call of Duty 3 off the disc for much longer than I wanted to trying to get it to crash with no success. Needs more testing. 

From minor poking around online, Rockstar seems to want me to buy a 16 GB USB stick and install something there. Not looking forward to spending money to try to fix a problem that might not be fixable without buying a new Xbox. $300 for two years' worth of work from a gadget is a bit expensive. I could try just buying a new hard drive, if I knew it was the hard drive.

It might just be the servers.  The last time a patch was issue, it was hard to get online before it came out.

I don't have a 360, but can you use any USB thumb drive?  Because you can get them dirt cheap.  I got a 16GB one to back up my site a couple of months ago from Radio Shack for $12.

It might just be the servers.  The last time a patch was issue, it was hard to get online before it came out.

I don't have a 360, but can you use any USB thumb drive?  Because you can get them dirt cheap.  I got a 16GB one to back up my site a couple of months ago from Radio Shack for $12.

It may be the servers. I got a server error message I've never seen before. I tried (upon the advice of someone online) to buck Rockstar's advice and install the "play" disk anyway, and it worked just fine for a pretty long online session. That throws a wrench into my hard drive theory.

Apparently, you have to use a USB drive with a certain transfer rate. Lots of people are suggesting using a Sandisk Cruzer Blade. Sandisk stuff is generally cheap anyway, but then again, so am I.

WHERE ARE MY MONIES~?!

The stimulus package will no doubt be delayed until the day after I have finally, painstakingly, finished grinding my way to 400K and the most expensive apartment/garage combo the hard way and no longer need it.

Unless I do nothing but continue to play golf (which pays nothing)

There's always something more. I got the most expensive apartment. I got the 2nd-most expensive car (because it's both better-looking and better-handling than the most expensive). Now I want the money to mod it and all the other cars in my garage I haven't had the chance to mod extensively (or at all). And I also want the $400K sports classic car.

I am spending my money now on weapon upgrades.I was down to $500 last night. Thank goodness someone put a $5000 bounty on me.

I just now figured out that time spent on a solo/Closed Crew Session that nobody else joins will count towards working off your bounty.

I....wish i had figured that out sooner.

My mom has been in the hospital for the last couple of days, so I have been spending most of my afternoons there and then rolling home to do story misisons and collapsing in a heap on the sofa.I will be up for more GTA: O at the beginning of the week. We need to get Fresh back up to speed and he can check out my phat crib with the planning room.

I already got the most expensive apartment before they patched some of the money exploits. Suck it.

I'm saving up for my white Adder. I'm up to $600,000 now, I was going to hit 500 and add it to my free money, but since that gets delayed seemingly I'm racing myself to see if I can get it on my own.Not literally, you dont get money for one person races. Good for learning the course, though.-Any chance we can get ALL the PS3 crew users online at the same time one day? Would be good to have some all-crew multi deathmatches and races.

Wooo, up to $800,000.

JT oversells my racing prowess shamelessly. Thank you for that, the cheque is in the mail, and as anyone who had actually seen my win/loss ratio could tell you it needed to be a hefty payment. The only course I've really got nailed is the bike race that starts in the wind farm and ends by the reservoir dam. Hopefully I'm still top 250 for that one. I need to shave about .2 of a second off for the world record, but frankly I doubt I've got the reflexes. If you want top times you need these things:* A jump start. These take a while to get right, but once you've got the timing you should be doing them almost every time. Don't hit the throttle on Go, wait just a fraction of a second after the light turns green. Forget about the rhythm of the countdown, that'll just mislead you.* The right vehicle. Usually you want acceleration over top speed, which is why I went for a Voltic as my first supercar. Big mistake. That one might be a beast off the line but it gets smoked on any reasonably long straight. Infernus accelerates almost as fast, Adder has best speed, but I'll go with conventional wisdom and recommend the Entity as the best all-round. I love the way that thing takes corners. For bikes, you need the overpowered Akuma, although the Bati 801 has the edge on a straight racing course.* A racing partner. Someone you can trust not to take you out so that the two of you can slipstream your way to the lead.* GTA races. Forget the missiles, it's those little speed boost powerups that you want to concentrate on. Oh, and you probably want traffic turned off too, which is boring but necessary.

Racing at the airport this morning and I raised 5 levels! Wow.

You were smoking it in that pink Cheetah.

Just tried to do ron's mission where you steal the boat full of coke at the very north of the map.

I killed all the black suits between sniping from a good deal away and then throwing grenades.

But then ... There was the helicopter waiting for me when i got to the river.

D'oh.

On the bright side, i did martin's mission stealing the flat screen TVs pretty easily, thanks to waiting out the four or five reinforcement vehicles of guys before taking the merch.

Also did a bunch of sidequests in story mode.

* The right vehicle. Usually you want acceleration over top speed, which is why I went for a Voltic as my first supercar. Big mistake. That one might be a beast off the line but it gets smoked on any reasonably long straight. Infernus accelerates almost as fast, Adder has best speed, but I'll go with conventional wisdom and recommend the Entity as the best all-round. I love the way that thing takes corners. For bikes, you need the overpowered Akuma, although the Bati 801 has the edge on a straight racing course.

One comment I'd add to this is that races will generally allow custom vehicles. On modded personal vehicles, there's a lot you can do to raise the acceleration, but little you can do to raise top speed, so if you're going to have a fully-modded bike, I prefer the Bati to the Akuma. On the supercar front, however, I agree with you about the Entity. It's the second-fastest top speed, bu there's very few races where you really get to unleash the Adder's speed advantage, and the Entity's handling is far superior. On the sports car front, there's a couple which are maybe slightly better than the Elegy, but it's such a tiny difference that I'd say it's not worth the $$$ to buy one when the Elegy is free.

Thanks for the help with the sniping mission earlier Excall, I couldn't find anyone to do it for ages and it kept getting text'd to me. Sorry I ran up the entire thing instead of driving, I didn't realise it was an option...

On my Adder hunt, I had to log out tonight at a very cruel $996,500.

I'll probably use the 500k to go towards the Entity, if you swear by it so.

So in my golf run yesterday, I met a guy who was impressed with my play and added me to his friends list. Today he invited me to a bunch of missions and all have been successful.oh, and he's level 86. So I'm doing high level missions at level 28, and getting paid son. Up to 115 grand, 15 away from my perfect 6 car garage apartment.

My tactic of "buy time for my comrades to escape a wanted level still works wonders.

I apply the same tactic, but my teammates don't always see it that way. I can be there holding everyone off and they'll stick around and continue to shoot at the police, therefore actually RAISING their wanted level.

Probably a good idea I dont have a mic, because between that happening regularly and cars just ramming into me (and taking themselves out at the same time) I don't know what i'd be shouting at them.