DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Finally bought an xbox one so I can play this game. Really haven't messed around with any games since San Andreas on PS2. Haven't gone online yet. Working on my marksmanship by trying to get gold on all of the ammunation shooting range challenges. A couple of them are pretty difficult. It would be nice to have some challenges where I have to be on the move as well. Guess that isn't vital though. The range work is just about mastering the touch of the controller. Love the control they give you to tweak this in the settings. Especially increasing simple reticule size. Couldn't see it at all sometimes.

Feel free to add me (jstout423) if you need a guided tour of online.

Guys, sorry about my racing buddy popping into the chat last night. I think he was just legit curious to see if the car stuff was worth it and wanted to pick other folks' brains. I hate it it when people pop into chats uninvited, but what do you do? I always wait for someone to invite me to a chat for that reason.

I did come to one little piece of thinking about it: If you want to get the discount on any of the crazy new cars like the ramp car and the KITT car, you have to complete the mission that gives you the discount as a CEO. So if you were hardcore into buying the KITT car, for example, the discount you'd receive by completing its mission as a CEO is $1.4 million, and the cheapest car warehouse is $1.5 million. So you'd nearly make your money back on just that discount.

But when you only have $2 million to start with and it costs $1.5 million to get a car warehouse? Not sure it's worth it.

I finally saw one of the new crazy cars in Freemode - the 18-wheeler with the gigantic cattle catcher on the front. It was random, to put it mildly. I flung an RPG at it but missed.

9 hours ago, jstout said:

I saw you on and tried to get on, but the cloud servers were down and it wouldn't load my character. Couldn't get into any part of online.

I got a message that my second character was unavailable. It was acting goofy, for sure. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the game was acting like a shit head on PS4 as well. 

Funny moment last night/this morning, I don't remember. It's 5 of us in a lobby, two join via (what I'm guessing) a mission or heist respawn. We're all CEO's, stealing cars and all, these two team up as expected. Everything's fine for about 25 mins.

...then they poke the nest. 

All of our next missions somehow all congregated on their location. 

...you can guess the rest.

• Like 2

Yeah, when it makes you do the agreement and/or visual recall, close app and restart. Hasn't happened to me in ages, but has to other friends, and the workaround at the time served me well. It beat doing the prologue again and resetting my options 

I was able to get into the game fine, had everything on my character, and was able to go out and do stuff right away.  It just does that EULA thing pretty much anytime there's an update.  It also makes me redo the brightness option when the game initially boots up.  I have the game on my HD vs a disc and usually go into private/friend/crew sessions if that makes any difference.

3 hours ago, jstout said:

Feel free to add me (jstout423) if you need a guided tour of online.

Guys, sorry about my racing buddy popping into the chat last night. I think he was just legit curious to see if the car stuff was worth it and wanted to pick other folks' brains. I hate it it when people pop into chats uninvited, but what do you do? I always wait for someone to invite me to a chat for that reason.

No problem.  I was just about to drop off when he joined.  I just took the time to get my ass back down to the city.  

It was funny because I could only hear your part of the conversation, but I immediately knew all the questions he was asking.

Also Herby~! returns!  And his internet really sucks!  But he was very mellow about it for some reason.

Those 2 pink dots learned a lesson going after us last night.  Sometimes, if you kick over the nest, you'll feel a mild stinging sensation.  But it won't be that bad, really.

My game was acting wonky like everybody else.  Kept getting the save failed messages for the longest time.  Also couldn't join Mis, though he could join me.  I never even received the invites from him at all.  Kelvin had the same problem.

• Like 1

So, I've mentioned this to a couple of people, and the web series is kind of over now, but you should take some time to watch the absolutely brilliant Grand Theft Auto Pacifist.  It's fascinating to see a guy try to go through GTA Online without killing and committing as few crimes as humanly possible.  

There are like 20 episodes, so you can take it from here.   I loved it, hope you will too. 

I dunno if I've ever been as confused by GTA as I was last night.  Hopped on and got put into a room with Stout, RUKered and Dolfan.  Saw an Insurgent, so I figured I'd have a go at that real quick.  Turned out to be a turret one, so I shot both guys outta it and took off.  The rest of the crew was in a scrum near the old parking garage glitch, so I hauled ass over there.  Got shot outta the thing as soon as I got there, and I finished it off with an RPG just as some body else was trying to get in it.

That was when I noticed just how many motherfuckers were in this fight.  It was the four of us and maybe 9-10 other dots.  Also, about 100000000000000 cops.  They were mostly in two MC clubs or CEO orgs, never did have time to figure out which.  It quickly devolved into who are all these assholes, and what the hell did the rest of the crew do to piss em all off?  And who is this asshole with the tank?   And why are there all these Insurgents outside this apartment garage?  And why are half these assholes transparent like they're in passive, but they're shooting guns, but they can't hit me, and I can't shoot them?  And why the hell are we fighting outside this damn parking garage again?  I swear, next time I get on and find y'all in a scrum at that garage, I'm gonna be tempted to go play Pokemon or something.  Or go help melraz make virtual Sushi.  Anything but that.

Next room's competition was much more amenable, cept for one guy that was a little too good with the Marksman rifle.  We ran just about all of em off, then went back to CEO car missions.  I got the damn grab a car off a barge right off the bat.  Failed it again.  Accidentally dropped the car from a couple hundred feet while trying to avoid the buzzards.  Amazingly, t didn't blow up, but it did come to a stop upside down on the fucking railroad tracks.  Fucking train hit it and dragged it about a quarter mile before I could get it turned over (the constantly respawning buzzards didn't help).  Finally it caught fire and blew up as I rammed it with a station wagon to try to flip it over.  

Rest of the car retrievals went smoothly, except when one of the two remaining dots on the map went after me as I was returning the car from the top of the map.  The dot and I traded kills before I got the car dropped off, then we went to work on him.  Killed him from Grove Street to the mall downtown, till he finally left.  Up to 28 on my car count now.

• Like 3

I've been playing this game since 1948, and that first room was very much my least favorite room ever. I was so geeked at the start because I hadn't raised hell with RUKered in months, but it wasn't long before we were swept up into five guys in two CEO crews working against us. Then, for variety, came the two dudes in the turreted Insurgent. Did I mention all five of the guys were at least very competent at the game, some of them quite good? No real weak links. RUkered was hanging with them and I was holding on by a thread. 

Roast joins, Robert joins and starts beating shit out of the turreted Insurgent, much to my relief. We wind up in the middle of town. The two CEO crews have grown in number, but started fighting each other. So, including us, there were 12 guys in three CEO crews, and two new white dots thrown in for good measure.

At this point, I'm thinking "this is pointless, I need this not, this is a zoo, screw this. ... Is that a tank?" Sure enough, here came dot 15 in a tank. Nope. I immediately quit the CEO group and put it in passive, screw it.

The second room started competitive, but after that first room, it was pretty easy to deal with.

I can only hope that asshole at the end who thought it would be funny to screw with someone's car-delivery work will think twice about doing so in the future after we gave him a boot up his ass as an early Christmas present. He was what, a Level 220-something, and he was freaking borderline incompetent.

EDIT: Words cannot express how bone-tired I am of RPG-shooting asshats.

• Like 3

Glad I got to raise some hell with you guys. Sorry I didn't hop on chat, but the lady friend wasn't feeling well and was napping - I knew it would be about 3 seconds before we started cutting Foghorn promos and I'd wake her up because I'm a loudmouth. 

I went back and forth last night between "holy shit am I rusty" and "there are just too many of these fuckers."

I would tag a couple in a row with the heavy sniper and start to feel good about myself, then I'd get a boot up my ass. It felt like the raptors in Jurassic Park. Just when you've got your sights on the one ahead of you, the bastard hiding in the bushes to your left gets you. 

Anyway, despite it being pure chaos, it was damn (sorry...dalm) good to raise hell for a little bit. I'll catch you guys on again sooner instead of it being forever. 

Edit: Also, I forgot how hard it is to stay together. I'd roll up on Stout to try and give some support, then one of us would get killed, then respawn and get in a fight with 2-3...next thing I know I'd look up and we'd be like 6 city blocks apart. Maybe that was just due to the sheer volume of assholes we were dealing with. 

• Like 2

I can't wait until the snow comes back in a few days (here, not goddamn NJ). I'm a different player than a year ago and intend on using that to an advantage in my third year of combat deployment. Plus, we get that new Porsche.

Downside, the car missions are gonna be a bastard in the snow. All of that slip-slidin' will wreck and cause some damage to these greasy cars while on delivery. 

Upside? Snowball fights!

• Like 3

I actually got a little car stealing shit done this am. In a public when i started. Room dump = success. First one though was the cargo bob one. I think 6 or 8 buzzards showed up. About 8k damage later i finally got it delivered. One i hated the most was that checkpoint to checkpoint race where the dude gives you the car. I woulda rather went up there killed the son of a bitch and stole it. Why get morals now. Got 6 this morning before i had to turn it off. Now time to actually go to work and make by gawd merica' money. Wish i could make a living playin gta. Stupid ass adulthood and its responsibilities. 

If i dont crash out tonight from bein up since 4:30 i'll be in my home away from home. The beloved los santos. 

• Like 2

That checkpoint to checkpoint mission is actually pretty easy. Every "source car" I do, I leave my Maze tower via Buzzard (❤️), then see what the gist is. 

But if it's what you said, land, and pick your super. My daily (99% of the time. Insurance fees when blown up, plus I've loved it since the debut) is the T20.

You can beat that prick's time by a long shot. The getaway is a bitch, if your facing enemies. If you solo these, enemies are more frequent, if you've got a gang, well, they're less. 

Good luck. 

6 hours ago, melraz09 said:

I actually got a little car stealing shit done this am. In a public when i started. Room dump = success. First one though was the cargo bob one. I think 6 or 8 buzzards showed up. About 8k damage later i finally got it delivered. One i hated the most was that checkpoint to checkpoint race where the dude gives you the car. I woulda rather went up there killed the son of a bitch and stole it. Why get morals now. Got 6 this morning before i had to turn it off. Now time to actually go to work and make by gawd merica' money. Wish i could make a living playin gta. Stupid ass adulthood and its responsibilities. 

If i dont crash out tonight from bein up since 4:30 i'll be in my home away from home. The beloved los santos. 

Damn, you finished the hardest one already.  I finally got it done last night.  Helped that the car was a Zentorno, so they couldn't shoot me from behind in the Buzzards.  You do get to kill the guy on the checkpoint race anyway.  He comes at you with a baseball bat.   I explained to him that if he wanted to play, he needed to bring better toys.  Like the combat SG for instance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Damn, you finished the hardest one already.  I finally got it done last night.  Helped that the car was a Zentorno, so they couldn't shoot me from behind in the Buzzards.  You do get to kill the guy on the checkpoint race anyway.  He comes at you with a baseball bat.   I explained to him that if he wanted to play, he needed to bring better toys.  Like the combat SG for instance.

I bottled him like he was Piper. 

The worst is when you have the "take [this car]", and it's the one with no enemies. Because somehow something makes you wreck it and pay insurance. This time, I had to steal a Mamba from Sandy. 

As I'm backing out, I bent the door back and off, like that Tommy Boy scene. $4000+ in one second of asshattery. 

• Like 3

I did the same thing last.night. Here was a new one - I'm delivering a car last night and look down and the back of the car is engulfed in flames. My damage shot to $32,000 immediately.

I dunno if I hit something or if one of the NPCs shot the gas tank, but the damage didn't matter because I knew the car wouldn't make it. Sure enough, it blew up a few seconds later.

Here's something to note: I did a car delivery in an empty room and had tons of NPCs chasing me around. I'd never had NPCs chase me on a car delivery before that. Damaged the hell out of the car. It was just dudes in cars, no helicopters.

• Like 2

Well hell, i was tryin to be ol' sneaky Pete and pick up a z type way up north with a cargo bob. Thinkin them fuckers wont see it cause i'll never actually get in it. Wrong. Soon as i hooked to that bastard it showed me possessing it. I got it delivered but some bastard in one of those new rocket shootin cars blew the cargobob up when i was in the garage. He died several times. Him and his rocket car and his front end ramp whatever the fuck car. Dalm, fuckin, ass hat, bastard bitch!

Edit: how much money do you get for sellin a car? I know it depends on what it is but just a rough guess?

Cause my ass is gonna go broke if i keep gettin and repairin these things without makin a lil cash summers!

• Like 2