DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I brought up the Yakuza thing because it takes away the excuse of, "The Japanese just don't like violent, open-world games."

Have you played any of the Yakuza games?  They are pretty much Dating Sims / RPG hybrids disguised as urban free wander titles..  Their structures are very rigid and there is far more causality in them than the wonderful amorality that we expect from GTA games.

Yakuza's creator, Toshihiro Nagoshi, was interviewed a while back at Kotaku and I think most of his criticisms of GTA are warrented but not necessarily fitting.  I realize that the relative ease in which you can evade the law is somewhat troubling those of with a traditional, Japanese sense of social justice, but the whole point of being a successful criminal is getting away with your crime.

I don't think that an American crime game needs the Japanese criminal mindset that assumes that one day he's going to be caught or that he's doing a public service by policing his own shady underworld.

And maybe it's me but the Yakuza storylines seem pretty cheesy.  GTA4 and GTA5 have their moments of off color humor but there are some instances where the dialogue and the story just kicks your ass.  There won't be a scene in any Yakuza game as powerful as:

I didn't realize that GTV V had a mandatory 8 GB install on the Xbox.

That might be a deal breaker... (more because I can't really afford to give up 8 GB of space)

PRO: I got a refurb 120 GB HDD from Gamestop on the cheap for 32 American dollars.

CON: Thirty bucks for a Hard Drive you might only get three or four months of use before getting an XBone or a PS4.

I do not envy your position.

I'd say the only things I don't like about this are that it's nearly pointless to customize anything other than your default car and that the outlaw country radio station doesn't have enough songs. I'm also missing the godliness of Daptone radio from Sleeping Dogs. Classic rock station also underwhelms.No other game has captured that great thing where you hide in a dark alley or underpass and turn your headlights off to hide from the fuzz.OH. When the OST comes in while you sneak around setting up heists? GOOD.Mainly, the thing I hate most about this game is that I can't play it for sixteen hours straight and then go back to bed everyday.

Played tennis as Trevor against a very cute girl named Rae. Setting up his serve, Trevor taunts "Protect your genitals!" and "Look out, I'm going for your face!"Charming fellow.

I accidentally killed Rae after a game. She got mouthy after Michael bumped into her and, well...he has some rage issues to work out. Currently working on the Epsilon missions, because I want access to their compound without copious amounts of violence being necessary. Also, I want some robes. I hope I get both, but would be happy enough with either result.

Alan McClean's Lifeinvader feed announced his new parenting guide:

Posted Image

The metagame shit in GTA5 continues to be as compelling if not moreso than the regular game.  I will spend hours and hours surfing the fake internet.

I barely played this weekend, and spent all my time dicking around.    Yesterday I spent a good 90 minutes just driving through the hills and Blaine County, playing tennis and watching TV and movies.  I'm now just getting ready for the heist; I selected "smart" over "loud" and got the top choices for everything but guns (which will cut into my take, but I'm bad enough at this game I'm okay with that at this stage.)

MOVIE REVIEW:

THE LONELIEST ROBOT IN GREAT BRITAIN (I believe this only shows in the mornings)--An animated "family" film about a factory robot who makes sarcasm for a living.  He feels shat upon for the crime of being middle-class, because the other factory workers see him as bourgeois while humans see him as beneath them.  His girlfriend is a pleasure droid who cheats on him with humans because it's what she was built to do, and his best friend is a bartender.  The whole thing was kind of bland to me until the gloriously fucked up ending; I don't know if I would have enjoyed it more if I were from the UK?  Anyway, in the last third it goes completely off the rails and that's a good thing.  Worth the $20 to see it once, I'd say.

Movie/TV reviews!First, not crazy about the new interface for these. You get a first person view from the couch or the theatre seats with a limited ability to free look. The movie has a zoom, but there's no way to go full screen, youhave to hold the left stick in place or it zooms in or out too far. Definitely could use work.CAPOLOVALO (theatre) A parody of incomprehensible European art movies from the 60s. Had a few moments of genuinely insightful parody, but most of the joke was "This makes no sense, and it's in Italian with subtitles! Laugh at the pretensiousness!"JACK HOWITZER: Reality series in which the aging movie star tries to put his life back together after the prison term he earned in GTASA. There are some legitimately funny bits here; Howitzer feels simultaneously well developed and shallow, and his idea for a comeback movie in which he slaughters Chinese bankers and factory workers to bring prosperity back to America was hilarious.Less entertaining was MOOREHEAD RIDES AGAIN, a cartoon adaptation of the radio serial from GTAVCS. Gordon Moorehead is still a racist, sexist PI keeping the world safe from Commies, but the translation from audio to visual hasn't worked in its favor.I may or may not do any more of this, depending on how badly i want to hear myself talk.

The sad thing about Capolovalo was I knew what it was making fun of (8 1/2 and L'avventura and Bunuel). If it had a sad guy holding a dog while awaiting a train because he just lost his apartment, I would have lost my shit.

• Like 1

I have unlocked Lucha masks for all 3 characters now...These will be mandatory for Crew DVDR in online play, right??

I certainly hope so. Shame there's no taunting, then we could all do DDP's pose before yoga.

Whatever gets you ready to pull off these heists.

14 Members?  Certainly we can get eleven more people to sign up..

I have unlocked Lucha masks for all 3 characters now...These will be mandatory for Crew DVDR in online play, right??

I certainly hope so. Shame there's no taunting, then we could all do DDP's pose before yoga.

I just wanna be able to slap our ass and say, "Ladies, you wanna hold back the hands of time? This is how!"

The radio has been overall the only disappointment for me so far, other than Waylon Jennings' "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" and the Adolescents' "Ameoba".

Really?!  People don't like the radio?!  The radio is, by FAR, my favourite thing going: The Descendents, Queen, Phil Collins, Eddie Murphy ('Party All the Time' is SO good), Rick James, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, Amerie, Britney Spears, Hall and Oates, Bob Seger and Phil Fuckin' Collins!  Seriously, I can just drive around for hours listening to the radio.

• Like 5

The radio has been overall the only disappointment for me so far, other than Waylon Jennings' "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" and the Adolescents' "Ameoba".

Really?!  People don't like the radio?!  The radio is, by FAR, my favourite thing going: The Descendents, Queen, Phil Collins, Eddie Murphy ('Party All the Time' is SO good), Rick James, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, Amerie, Britney Spears, Hall and Oates, Bob Seger and Phil Fuckin' Collins!  Seriously, I can just drive around for hours listening to the radio.

This is what I've been doing the past few hours. So much fun. Well, I was also looking for hitchhikers as Trevor, so there were ulterior motives at work.

Just exploring the massive terrain in this game is great stuff. I just discovered how damn fine Worldwide FM is.

Also, I was in the middle of nowhere and I got in a shootout with a dude in an RV. Took him out, the cops were on me and I hide under the nearby bridge. They all converge on the area and find the guy's body. I think I'm safe because no way would they look under the bridge for the Trevor the troll. But they do... "Hey, I found him!" So's, I have to kill them all and lose 4 stars. LOVE THIS GAME.