DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Yeah Mis, I have a One, but I haven't bought GTA for it. I won't bother unless these other crazy a-holes do. I've just been playing a couple Assassin's Creed games and Titanfall.

And yeah Stout, I'm down for either one any time. We need to teach these kids that Stone Co- I say, Stone Cold ET needs a sniper shot and a burger with a little onion.

• Like 1

Damn, I thought I was bad. I hooked mine up the night I bought it and downloaded the updates and the AC games, then just turned it off. I've used it for Netflix and HBO Go more than anything.

If you see me on and want to do any of the co-op missions for Unity, let me know. It can be hard to find people to play with sometimes.

I took a page out of Stout's book last night and did some solo freemode game chat stalking. Is there a way to see who's talking, or do you just have to listen long enough to decipher it for yourself?

I kept quiet and just listened. Figured out the two guys talking were working together near the right-hand pay and spray. I Allah Akbar'd the hell out of one and he started yelling, "DAAAAAMN THIS DUDE STUPID!!! HE KILLED HIMSELF DAAAAMN!"

It took everything I had to not laugh.

• Like 2

Yeah in the pause menu, under online I think... there should be an option for the players in that lobby.   From there if they're in game chat and talking you will see the speaker icon fluctuating next to their nametag. 

Robert, Stout, after you left chica and taxi came out to play.  I got chica with a shotgun (she left immediately) then threw a sticky in quasitaxi's face and detonated.  I think I was up on him 12-5 at that point and called it a night myself.

• Like 1

Yep, Mis nailed it. Hit start, go to the online tab, then go down to "players." Whoever's talking on the game chat will have the little speaker "talking" icon that replaces their level. Set waypoint, go kill.

That was a hell of a scrum near the center of town. My XBox froze at one point, and when I got back into the room, I noticed everyone in the room except for two people were in the scrum. Taxi or Tax or whatever had my number. It was somewhere around 17-7 him. His one buddy had me by one or two. The rest were bascially there to get in the way. The one dude we ran off at the end sent me a message complimenting my Allah Akbar skills, which was nice of him. I was considering mercy on him when Robert just stuck a foot clean up his ass, and I thought "well, there goes mercy."

• Like 1

I was finally able to finish downloading the game (50GB plus all the patches and add ons) and play a bit of single player and online on PS4.

Just a few notes:

* The load times (especially when starting up) are a lot quicker.

* The graphics are better, but not like night and day better.
* The new music is a nice touch, but I still don't like the radio stations for the most part.

* First person mode works well and comes in handy in certain situations, like when you're fighting people in tight spaces.

* Not a fan of the big light on the Dual Shock 4, but it does change depending on the situtation, like when the cops are after you, it flashes red and blue.

* You can use the touchpad to change weapons/radio stations or throw grenades (found that handy).

* You can duck down in cars to try and avoid bullets or the cops seeing you (is this new?)

* Very easy to transfer my character from PS3 and all his stuff seems to be intact.

* Free mode is a real shit storm now with 30 players.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up about the chat thing, guys.

And Neil, I'm fairly certain being able to duck in a car is new. I don't remember, but then again, I literally just got done asking "duuuurrrrr how I know people talk???", so grain of salt and all...

Edit: Just did Truck Off with a bunch of randoms. Truck passed us on the other side of the median. I lobbed a sticky and triggered it. Winner.

It was pure dumb luck. I bet they're like "who the hell is this guy?" I almost felt like I should get on game chat and say, "Trust me guys, you'll still want to pick me last in this pickup game."

Edit 2: A year with this game and I still race with randoms like I have a chance in hell. One guy straight up drove backwards to cause problems for everyone. I also had a guy PIT me to take 8th place out of 10. Good job, dude.

A guy is also using his headset to broadcast his shitty music. These guys went down the whole "be an asshole" checklist with a Sharpie.

Robert - forget your impending young'un and come snipe these jerks for me.

• Like 3

I've never heard of being able to duck in a car before the next-gen release.  I think that's got to be new.  I don't see myself getting the game for the xbone unless everybody in the nite shift goes to that.  The 30 person freemode is tempting though.  I'm wondering if a lot of the higher level folks have moved to next-gen now, which would account for the seemingly higher percentage of low level people recently.

Truck Off is about as broken as a vs. mission can get.  Eons ago I managed to take out the truck and every single person on the other team with one sticky.  Can't imagine how bad I would be if I tried to race now.  I haven't done a race against randoms in at least 6 months, and have maybe run 1-2 races total in the last 3.

Wonder if GTA online is age appropriate for a newborn.  I've got an old 360 that just needs a new hard drive.  I could just get a new drive and another copy of the game and get him started early on learning to Mary Lou.

• Like 1

30-person Freemode's ass. Every time we end up in a scrum of 3 other players or above, I'm cussing constanly in my mind. A 20-person scrum? Forget it. I hate that feeling of "OK, both these guys could shoot me. If I go after one, it's very likely the other is going to shoot me." Yeah, I'd love to plunk down about $400 to feel that way more often.

I joyously hit upon a great new racket - red gang cars. I had heard about them, but never gotten one until yesterday. There's a 10-car garage in the Southeast corner of the map kinda near the Simeon garage docks. If you drive a Peyote into this walled-off area right off the road near the other side of the garage, there might be a red gang Peyote tucked behind a junked bus.

This gave me the idea to buy that garage. So I sold my garage near the airport and bought that one. So I got on this incredible roll where I drove my Peyote over to where the red cars spawn. There was a red car. So I'd drive it literally across the road to my new garage, go back out on foot and go over to my car again, where another red car would be waiting for me. So I'd drive it over to the garage, walk back over, get another one, etc. Got five straight this way until I ran out of room in the garage.

And the best part is that no one ever shot at me. Ever. No exciteable gang dudes.

I do think they only spawn in the daytime, but it's easy money.

RUkered, you cannot believe how much I hate people who play music in the game chat. Robert and I used the "friends and crew" game chat last night after having trouble with XBox Live. It sounds a little distant, but fine.

One guy last night was fairly tough, and would not give up. I think he finished up on me 27-22. I got my ass kicked a lot worse last night, but I hate those drawn-out battles. He had a buddy who was pretty much nothing. When the tough guy left, it was like you could sense the other dude say "oh shit" as he took cover amid a hail of gunfire and RPGs from Robert and I. Then he finally tried to run and got shot. I told Robert "he won't be here much longer," and he was gone.

• Like 1

30-person Freemode's ass. Every time we end up in a scrum of 3 other players or above, I'm cussing constanly in my mind. A 20-person scrum? Forget it. I hate that feeling of "OK, both these guys could shoot me. If I go after one, it's very likely the other is going to shoot me." Yeah, I'd love to plunk down about $400 to feel that way more often.

I would allllmost be willing to buy the shit and mail it to you just so I can hear you cussing out children in a 15 on 4 battle.

I did a few LTS matches with those same randoms. I had to give it up to one dude. We had him 3 on 1. My two teammates are ahead of me, and I'm coming in from the left. Dude takes out both my teammates and I'm all Eye of the Tiger in my mind. "I will save the day. Yes siree Bob, don't you fellas worry."

I came up over the hill and started tagging him with the advanced rifle. He starts Mary Lou'ing. I start Mary Lou'ing. We did the Cha Cha like that until he ended up Lou'ing his ass off a wall and into an alley.

I whip out the grenade launcher amd start banking them off the wall. After 6 or 7 grenades, he was still alive, so I started moving forward with the shotgun. I get to the edge of the wall and get blown sky high. I don't know if it was a rocket, a sticky, a proximity, or what, but I was laughing my ass off.

Dude kicked all three of our asses and managed to survive me getting the drop on him with the rifle, as well as a ton of grenades. I sent him a message that said "nicely done!" and he thanked me.

He turned out to be damn good and carried two of us to wave 10 on the sawmill survival. Is that new? I don't remember it.

• Like 1

Shocking I know, but I love the big-ass scrums, as long as everybody we're fighting isn't in it together.  The giant fight two nights ago was a blast outside of the one guy that kicked the living shit out of me.

I didn't think those two last night would ever leave.  I wound up about 50-40 on the better one.  I know I was at least 40 kills up on the one in purple. 

I had a nice troll moment before Stout and joined up last night..  I started out with a bounty, and headed towards the biggest group of dots on the map, down near the Rooftop Rumble garage.  One came at me in a car, so I allah akbared him, then shot him a few times till he went into passive.  He ran right at me in passive, so I stole a cop car and lured him into the passenger seat.  Nearest dot was driving a Zentorno around in the culvert where Down the Drain spawns, so I drove over there and took out all 3 of us with another allah akbar.  We all spawned up near Rooftop again, and I wound up right next to the guy's newly delivered Zentorno.  Threw a sticky on that and ran away.  Zentorno boy started trying to run over the passive guy, so I set off the bomb, then killed him a couple more times on his respawns.

The Simeon car spawned in a parking lot by the pier, so I took off after it.  Shot somebody out of the car, and managed to make it to the center of town pay and spray.  Put in the ignition bomb, and came out to find a guy targeting me with a minigun.  I jumped out of the car and got him with a Mary Lou.  Turned out it was the Zentorno driver again.  Killed him twice more then let him get me as I was driving slowly right at him.  Sadly his victory was short lived.  Then Stout showed up and blew up the Zentorno again.

He turned out to be damn good and carried two of us to wave 10 on the sawmill survival. Is that new? I don't remember it.

That one has been there for a long time, maybe since the beginning.  I remember doing it with melraz, Dan, and somebody else a few months ago.

Yeah, people tend not to do the Sawmill Survival because it's much harder* than Processed or Railyard, and doesn't have the "Ooh, a new thing" factor that Del Perro Peir, Legion Square and Maze Bank have had (when they were new).

* It's about as hard as Industrial Plant, but it's more frustrating than Industrial Plant because it's a big area with a massive building in the middle of it. Somwtimes you've got a good spot, but half the wave is on the other side of the map and not really advancing at all.

Yeah that was my experience in a nutshell. I stayed on the roof for a few rounds, but couldn't seem to find anyone to kill. I started running around and got more kills, but had to eat lots of candy and put on armor constantly. If I went inside the mill, no one came in. I haven't figured out a good strategy.

On wave 10, there were three choppers and a shit load of guys, and I was the only one left. Who am I, Snake Plissken?

• Like 1

There's one spot I like to go to, where you go up some metal stairs and can get in a metal crate, it's kind of between the plant itself and those mobile classroom thingys outside of it (where the trucks come in). You're protected from three sides with partial cover (that you can shoot around) and from the back with full cover, but you're open to the skies. On Helicopter waves we go under the big tin roof that runs along across from the bottom of the pant, and take cover behind the concrete beams at the end. But it's the one Survival where it makes sense to go the location first and have a look around for cover spots, before you actually start to do the thing itself.

You know what I like? When you do a Team Deathmatch where you win, but the other team is sure it was such a close run thing that they want a rematch, to prove the first one was a fluke. And then when you win that one as well, they want a third match to prove the first two were flukes. And halfway through the third one, they run away, and you say "Come Back! You could still win this (if you were slightly more talented)".

What I don't like is people making more forced Unarmed (but the host spawns near a Minigun) Deathmatches, to trap Christmas noobs. Wrong year, idiots. Wrong console generation.

EDIT: What I also like is lying my headset down on top of my laptop, having previously typed "Scott Steiner Promo Compilation" into youtube. But that's probably just me.

• Like 2

I'll have ti remember the Steiner trick. That dude really did belong in the Hogan/Macho era as far as promos go.

I went to a Thunder taping in the dying days of WCW. At the end of the show, he stayed in the ring losing his shit the whole time people were filing out. To this day, I don't know if it was a work or not.

• Like 2

I just read GTA 6 is rumored to come out for PlayStation 4 (no XBox 1, but come on, of course it will) in 2017, which seems crazy ambitious. I think 2018 seems more likely.

The only rumor is that single-player is gonna feature a female character. Dunno whether she'll be joined by other playable characters the way Franklin/Michael/Trevor worked or not. There's, of course, gonna be an online component.

I still wish they'd split GTA into 2 games - single-player and online. I'd buy both. Have three disks - a map disk for both single-player and online and one disk for single-player and one disk for online. I know this would drive the cost up somehow, but it'd be worth it, I think.

Everybody's speculating on location and theme. Lot of people want a return to VIce City, lot of people want a '70s theme. If you want a '70s theme, Liberty City would be the best choice - nothing says "disco" and '70s excess like New York City. Miami was more of an '80 thing. I'd still like to see a modern-day Atlanta, with "Dirty South" and "Atlanta Classic Rock" radio stations.

Played some last night - kept running into people working together and still getting handled. One weak link left the team and the other then went off-controller at that point (snipey, snipey - gotta work on that K/D) and at one point three were feeling the wrath until they decided they had other placs to be.

Only guy who was tough was someone who seemingly could hit me with a rocket from any angle. He kept popping me with that goddamn fireworks launcher (takes three of those to kill you, but it's totally hilarious how bloody you are after the second one - just total "Carrie" levels of blood) and RPG'd me a couple of times. I saw a crate coming and was like "uh, bye, dude, I'm gonna get this crate."

So I get the crate, and some doofus comes along to get some. I kill him 14 straight times, including once when he went into passive and came out right in front of me, only to be assault-shotgun whipped and shot. Two other people came down and decided to find another place to be quickly. Dude eventually went into passive and got on a big hill and totally had position on me on the ground. I tried to go into passive and remembered I had a bounty on me. Whoops. Dude shot me to make it 14-1. I then went into passive, because fuck him, and just left.

• Like 2

What I don't like is people making more forced Unarmed (but the host spawns near a Minigun) Deathmatches, to trap Christmas noobs. Wrong year, idiots. Wrong console generation.

I love when somebody hosts one of those and forgets to set it to forced weapons.  I like to show my appreciation by killing them a bunch.

I just read GTA 6 is rumored to come out for PlayStation 4 (no XBox 1, but come on, of course it will) in 2017, which seems crazy ambitious. I think 2018 seems more likely.

The only rumor is that single-player is gonna feature a female character. Dunno whether she'll be joined by other playable characters the way Franklin/Michael/Trevor worked or not. There's, of course, gonna be an online component.

I still wish they'd split GTA into 2 games - single-player and online. I'd buy both. Have three disks - a map disk for both single-player and online and one disk for single-player and one disk for online. I know this would drive the cost up somehow, but it'd be worth it, I think.

Everybody's speculating on location and theme. Lot of people want a return to VIce City, lot of people want a '70s theme. If you want a '70s theme, Liberty City would be the best choice - nothing says "disco" and '70s excess like New York City. Miami was more of an '80 thing. I'd still like to see a modern-day Atlanta, with "Dirty South" and "Atlanta Classic Rock" radio stations.

Played some last night - kept running into people working together and still getting handled. One weak link left the team and the other then went off-controller at that point (snipey, snipey - gotta work on that K/D) and at one point three were feeling the wrath until they decided they had other placs to be.

Only guy who was tough was someone who seemingly could hit me with a rocket from any angle. He kept popping me with that goddamn fireworks launcher (takes three of those to kill you, but it's totally hilarious how bloody you are after the second one - just total "Carrie" levels of blood) and RPG'd me a couple of times. I saw a crate coming and was like "uh, bye, dude, I'm gonna get this crate."

So I get the crate, and some doofus comes along to get some. I kill him 14 straight times, including once when he went into passive and came out right in front of me, only to be assault-shotgun whipped and shot. Two other people came down and decided to find another place to be quickly. Dude eventually went into passive and got on a big hill and totally had position on me on the ground. I tried to go into passive and remembered I had a bounty on me. Whoops. Dude shot me to make it 14-1. I then went into passive, because fuck him, and just left.

They can have my money right now if they announce they're gonna make a new 80s Vice City game in a few years.  Still my favorite game of all time.  I'll pay em double if they let me drive a black, convertible Ferrari while blasting Brothers in Arms on the radio.

Y'all keep the mean streets of LS safe for me.  Off to the hospital in a bit, to get ready for tomorrow.

• Like 2