DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Yeah I could see this ending up wasting a ton of time for me.  Kind of in the same way the mini games were in Red Dead Redemption.  You get caught up in playing these little games and realize it's been like an hour.  The tennis looked almost like a game on its own.  I was going to skip the game and not get any new PS3 games as I await the PS4 but I've changed my mind, I'm definitely getting GTA5. 

In terms of immersion I can see this one being up there with Red Dead. Am I correct in thinking I read that the whole map is open from the start? If so that's gonna be some serious messing around hunting and such instead of doing storyline missions. It's not easy explaining to your girlfriend that the reason you've been on the same game for 3 days straight is that you've got to kill a bear with a melee knife.

In a way, this really helps my decision to buy a PS4. If only Watch_Dogs wasn't available on PS4 i'd definitely hold out until a bigger HD capacity model comes out (like I wish I did with my PS3)

Interestingly the first thing I thought when I watched the latest trailer was..

OH MY GOD YOU CAN PLAY GOLF.

I don't even like golf that much. I'm really getting older.

In a way, this really helps my decision to buy a PS4. If only Watch_Dogs wasn't available on PS4 i'd definitely hold out until a bigger HD capacity model comes out (like I wish I did with my PS3)

For whatever reason, video game golf is far more satisfactory than real golf. Presumably because it takes way less effort to be able to hit the ball 300 yards. But yeah, there's something really relaxing about golf games, where as actual golf just sends me into a coma. So yeah, if those GTA mini games are even half competent, like you'd expect them to be, then god. I'm just glad I have a month between Saints Row 4 & this coming out to rush through Saints Row. I can't imagine it'll look nearly as great if I played it after GTA5.

GTAV is released in September on PS3 and either isn't going to be available on PS4 or the word hasn't come out yet if it is. 

As far as HD capacity goes, as with the PS3 you'll be able to immediately upgrade the HD on PS4 by simply switching it out with one of a larger capacity. 

I can't believe this will be current gen game, it's ridiculous.

I've really been on the fence about weather to eventually get a current gen system once the new shit comes out, or just skip this gen altogether, but if GTA 5 is going to be this gen that might actually sway my decision. I can totally see picking up a PS3 on the cheap once PS4 is out, plus going to get GTA5, Red Ded Redemption, and a few other things (I would have to do a little research as I'm pretty out of the loop), and being able to justify that to myself.

You know your game is big when you can still sell people a console at the end of the console's cycle.

My PS3 (which I bought back in 2008 to play GTAIV) just died.  I was thinking of holding off on getting something until the PS4 comes out, but I need to play this game.  The GTA series has been my favorite for a long time (I'm currently going through yet another playthrough of III, this time on my phone) and this entry looks fantastic.

Am I correct in thinking I read that the whole map is open from the start?

Apparently, that is correct.  You can swtich between the characters wheneven you want (for the most part) and they're based on different parts of the map.

I'm happy the whole map is open from the start if correct. I liked that about Saints Row: The Third. It was annoying in previous GTA's if you couldn't get passed the missions to unlock more of the location.

I can't wait for this thing. I've put more time into GTA games, starting with GTA2, than I have any other game. Even though I played the hell out of it, I was too stupid to figure out the point of it. I didn't realize I was playing it like I'd play all the others for eternity - steal shit, run from cops, have shootout with cops, die. The only thing different was plowing into buildings at 100 mph because you couldn't see where you were going.

Natural - you mentioned not being able to get to new locations right away. If I remember right, I used to take the Dodo in GTA3 and try to fly it (mind-numbingly difficult), and one time I managed to make it to a locked part of the map. I can't remember right now, but did it automatically give you 5 police stars for getting to an area early, or was that only introduced in the later games?

Anyway, back on point - they've only improved with each installment in my book, and this one looks no different.

• Like 1

I don't remember in GTA 3 but in Vice City you wouldn't get the cops on you if you got to the other side before you were supposed to. They would come after you in San Andreas but it was still possible to do it and collect horseshoes etc. Just pointless though since the game wasn't exactly difficult and there were good weapons hidden in Los Santos accessible right away. Including a sniper rifle.

You would get the cops on you in Vice City also, but there are a couple of jumps that you can take where you can trick the game into not triggering the 5 star level.  It's not really all that useful to do unless you want to get all of the hidden packages so you have the weapons at your hideout and the Annihilator helicopter.

There are some areas that will always trigger a 5 star level if you don't go in the right way, such as the miltary base in VC or Area 69 in SA.

By the time you get the Dodo in III, you've unlocked all of the map.  I think you were thinking about the Ghost City, a part of the map that is high up in the clouds that is used for the initial cutscene of the bank robbery.  You can fly up to it, but you can't land on it.  The Dodo is a pain in the ass to fly, but I got good at it, so I didn't have a problem with Flight School in SA.

Natural - you mentioned not being able to get to new locations right away. If I remember right, I used to take the Dodo in GTA3 and try to fly it (mind-numbingly difficult), and one time I managed to make it to a locked part of the map.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cannot get back into GTA 4 anymore, after seeing how huge the map for part 5 is going to be and everything that's going to be in it.

Rockstar really should have added Long Island and The Hamptons in one of the DLC add-ons to give you more variety of places to visit and do things rather than focus everything on the skyscrapers of NYC.

• Like 1

Will Rockstar announce the radio stations ahead of time? Really hoping the Waylon Jennings song in the second trailer means we're getting "Classic Country" or "Outlaw Country" station (basically a country station that focuses on music from the era before Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Big & Rich, Travis Tritt, etc.) and absolutely no Daddy Yankee songs at all.