DVDVR Message Board

NFL Stupidity in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

I like to acknowledge it mainly because anyone that thinks Metallica were the worst part of that record deserves to go onto a special kind of list.

Lou Reed is and was the fucking worst.

The second Metallica writes a song half as good as Walk on the Wild Side, it'll be the first time.

I'm sorry you missed the entire 1980's.

No, I listened. They were fine, if you like a lesser Megadeth kinda vibe. Pretty good WWE style sanitized version of metal.

This could not be more accurate

There is no way a simple taunting penalty that shouldn't even be illegal belongs with the rest of these.

When it costs your team a 50-yard completion...

Sorry, my bad. Wrong taunting penalty. The backwards into the endzone one on a touchdown. Cost then yardage on the kickoff only.

an important contextual note about San Diego: the further inland you get, the more white power it gets. Qualcomm is A] a trash heap and B] pretty much equidistant between the beaches and the badness. So as a native, this is pretty much the least surprising shit ever. Frankly it's a little astonishing the cops let them in.

The idea that California is a tolerant place is a persistent little idea that doesn't seem grounded in much. Maybe in relevance to Arizona or something?

an important contextual note about San Diego: the further inland you get, the more white power it gets. Qualcomm is A] a trash heap and B] pretty much equidistant between the beaches and the badness. So as a native, this is pretty much the least surprising shit ever. Frankly it's a little astonishing the cops let them in.

The idea that California is a tolerant place is a persistent little idea that doesn't seem grounded in much. Maybe in relevance to Arizona or something?

For the most part, once you get off the coast, California doesn't live up to it's all accepting reputation. Los Angeles County is mostly fine, the OC is HORRIBLE, and that's before you even get into the IE. I can't really speak for up north, but I imagine it's similar.

For the most part, once you get off the coast, California doesn't live up to it's all accepting reputation. Los Angeles County is mostly fine, the OC is HORRIBLE, and that's before you even get into the IE. I can't really speak for up north, but I imagine it's similar.

Yeah, pretty much the same breakdown.  San Francisco and The People's Republic of Berkeley are PCer Than Thou, but the rest of the bay doesn't really follow suit (and things definitely turn more red state inland). 

Justin Blackmon arrested for DUI.

This is not a re-post from 2012. Or 2013. Or 2014. But it could be.

Is there an alcohol treatment program in the NFL?  He clearly has a problem, and alcohol is generally the one problem that no one wrings their hands about making sure it gets fixed.  Josh Gordon barely testing positive for weed gets treated much differently than what I'm sure is rampant alcohol abuse in the league.

• Like 1

Justin Blackmon arrested for DUI.

This is not a re-post from 2012. Or 2013. Or 2014. But it could be.

Is there an alcohol treatment program in the NFL?  He clearly has a problem, and alcohol is generally the one problem that no one wrings their hands about making sure it gets fixed.  Josh Gordon barely testing positive for weed gets treated much differently than what I'm sure is rampant alcohol abuse in the league.

I'm not sure if he's technically still under contract to the Jaguars or not. They may have cut ties with him.

If he's not on a team, I'm not sure how much the league can do.

Boost for Redskins? Court rules against trademark law used in NFL case

The Washington Redskins received an early Christmas gift Tuesday when a federal appeals court ruled against a trademark law that has been used to challenge the team’s name.

The D.C. Circuit Court ruled that the federal Lanham Act's ban on "disparaging" trademark registrations is viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment. 

The ruling came in a separate case filed in 2013 by members of an Oregon band called The Slants, who were refused a registration of their trademark on the grounds that their name is offensive to Asian Americans.

But the ruling falls in line with what the Redskins are arguing in their appeal, which is pending before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.

A federal judge in July initially ordered that the Redskins’ trademark registration be revoked. The team appealed, and the Native Americans who challenged the trademark have until Jan. 14 to file their response to the Redskins’ appeal.

The decision in the case involving The Slants could loom large. 

At issue was a federal trademark law barring registration of trademarks that "may disparage" individuals or groups or "bring them into contempt or disrepute." 

The federal court in D.C. now says it’s unconstitutional for the government to refuse to register trademarks because it disapproves of the messages or concludes that they may be disparaging to others.

I swear these teams are ran by Liberty University graduates or something. Insult intended.

Report: The Patriots Are Also In Bed With Tom Brady's Shady Fitness Guru

I'm an agnostic and no Jerry Faldwell fan but will say that Liberty and their students actually invited a guy whom they completely disagree with to speak at their campus without rioting (they even let him speak without heckling him). That puts them ahead of just about every other college in the nation in my opinion.