DVDVR Message Board

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia (8/1/2015) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (HSBC Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

This poll Big Dave's had up for quite awhile is either very misogynistic and trolling or just a lot of stupid people.

Who is the next UFC champion to lose the title?
Rousey
681   31.2% 
Aldo
273   12.5% 
Dos Anjos
222   10.2% 
Dillashaw
197   9% 
Cormier
164   7.5% 
Lawler
132   6% 
Double J
131   6% 
Mighty Mouse
130   5.9% 
Werdum
129   5.9% 
Weidman
127   5.8% 

Number of Voters   :  2186

She fought the only way that she could possibly lose this fight and just ran through Correia.

Agree with Rogan's final comments, watching Rousey feels like an event now, more-so than any other mma competitor at the moment,

McGregor has a somewhat similar awe-inspiring aura.

It just feels like we're wasting time until Cyborg gets a shot.

I really hope that was it for the Nogueira brothers. Incredible athletes and pioneers of the sport but it's just sad watching them take that much punishment. Rua is done too. His chin and stamina are the shits.

The first TUF finale was friggin' bonkers. They were just throwing haymakers and then took turns trying guillotines. I don't think either of them has much of a future in the division but it was a huge display of heart.

She is MMA's Big Drama Show. It also helps that she is easy on the eyes and can talk.

Gennady Golovkin went from the guy going tit for tat with Kassim Ouma in Panama to one of boxing's biggest stars just because you know something is going to pop off during his fights.

Whereas Golovkin has the John Malkovich in Rounders accent and endearing charm, Ronda is just the all around best package you could put together to be a moneymaker and get casual interest you wouldn't have otherwise.

So will it be Rousey/Tate, McGregor/Aldo and CM Punk's debut in December to pop a big buyrate?

This is what I would do but some stuff has to fall into place. Dede told the media that Aldo/McGregor will be announced soon. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah all of the talk about Connor being the biggest draw in the UFC is a bit of a stretch at least in terms of the US market based on last night.  Granted using a bar isn't the most accurate tool but that place was almost double then for UFC 189 with a better card and better advertising.  But not the biggest star.  

So now it is Meisha Tate/Rousey III.   No way of getting around it this time.  Going to be the same old story and unfortunately the ugly Rousey is going to come out for this one.   

Yeah all of the talk about Connor being the biggest draw in the UFC is a bit of a stretch at least in terms of the US market based on last night.  Granted using a bar isn't the most accurate tool but that place was almost double then for UFC 189 with a better card and better advertising.  But not the biggest star.  

So now it is Meisha Tate/Rousey III.   No way of getting around it this time.  Going to be the same old story and unfortunately the ugly Rousey is going to come out for this one.

With the media currently in love with Rousey they might spin it as Tate being the Heel this time.

I think buyrate wise, Conor (if he can keep the train rolling and stay in big fights) will have her beat until they can finally make Ronda/Cyborg. Fights with Chad Mendes headlining a PPV aren't suppose to do 400k let alone double that plus 100k. That's just insane.

Casual viewing wise? Ronda has him beat all day just because UFC has put her out there for longer and her uniqueness on top of being a pretty female makes her more media friendly.

Ronda is a bigger name and star. It doesn't mean she'll pull in the best buyrates. I know so many people who talk about her, post about her on social media, and love her that will probably never buy a fight. It's just the idea of her and what she represents that they support.

• Like 1

Ronda Rousey is truly the baddest woman on the planet.  She is the biggest name and star in MMA right now.  Maybe not in terms of pure PPV buys, but the attention she brings to the sport and crossover appeal.  

Time for Nogueira to retire.  I am sure he can still be competitive in some future fights, but what is the point?  He's got no head movement.  He doesn't block a single shot.  There is no point in him going forward and risking further damage.  This was a good fight for him to go out on since he refused to go out on the Dave Herman win.

Gadelha/Joanna Jedrzejczyk II, this time for the title, should be a fun fight.  Feel bad for Aguilar, but she got completely out-classed everywhere.  Just goes to show, when you are in the UFC it's a different ball game.  Not just because of the level of opponents but the mental stress as well.  

Rogerio Nogueira only has himself to blame for that loss.  He had Shogun hurt in the first round then took his foot off the gas.

I've always found Ronda to be fairly rigid in her interviews. Like she has to plan and rehearse her lines. It's fine but Conor's charisma and delivery are all-world. He and Ronda are the only fighters in MMA that have a special aura about them, and it's not just because they're great in the cage. Ronda is transcendent because of the gender norms she absolutely smashes and Conor is what would happen if you took a great fighter but gave him the personality of a top pro wrestler. It's a good time to be an MMA fan. I'm just hoping a lot of the eyes being drawn to the sport due to Ronda leads to a greater intake of skilled women athletes. 

MMAFighting.com ‏@MMAFighting 12s

Rousey said she wants to be on the Aldo-McGregor card against Tate.

All of the buys.

Wow, I was going to say that this is what I hoped would happen after that last fight. Was also going to throw in the aside that I doubted Dana would give him the retired UFC fighter deal because most of his rep was earned in Pride. I know this means nothing yet but it's really good to hear because I can't picture Nog retiring on his own.

Anyone else think Struve let up/went easy on him through the fight knowing he could get the win. Not that he didn't throw any hard shots at all but he didn't seem all that keen on actually taking Nog out.

Nog has all of one setup and one punch in his current arsenal. He's about as shot as a formerly great fighter can be.

Also, if Nog turns down the UFC job, can Dana just sit on his contract without offering fights or would he be forced to let him go? As mentioned, I have no interest in watching him ever fight again but that does seem unfair.

Rousey at 21-0 will beat Cyborg who will take her to the second round, but be taken apart, but what's this? After the fight, who's that in the crowd? OMG, it's Gina Carano! She's here to plug her new film and then Ronda retires in the octagon and leaves the belt and walks to the back to go star in Fight Club 2: Tyra Durden's Revenge.

Apparently, Struve was extremely sick tonight. Dana said he didn't think he was going to make it to the fight.

If Struve isn't getting his ass kicked, then he's nearly dying, passing out, or is nearly too sick to fight. I like Struve, but how Miocic lost to him is beyond me. If Miocic doesn't have a fight lined up (I can't remember if he does or not), then I suppose you could pair him up against Struve in a rematch.