DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

Between that insane chip and his screamer off the post, Bradley was basically 18 inches away from a performance people would talk about for years and years. As it is, the golden point will do nicely.

• Like 2

Would like to point out that the match was a battle of former Red Bulls coaches. One was thankfully shitcanned (Osorio) and the other (Arena) was fired by a fucking soda salesman in the dumbest move in the history of American soccer. Also the US goalscorer (Bradley) began his career with Metro.

Oh and Robles>Hamid.

6 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Robles is 33.

That's beside the point, he's way better than Howler Hamid and deserves a spot on the USMNT.

I've watched this sport for basically all of this century and I've yet to be convinced having a top goalkeeper actually swings results in any meaningful way. Hell, just this month we saw Real Madrid win Champion's League with a goalie I genuinely don't think is one of the 50 best in Europe over a team with possibly the greatest Italian goalkeeper ever.

David De Gea is annually Manchester United's best player and they can't get top 4 in their own league.

Jan Oblak at Atletico Madrid might be the closest guy right now to actually making me reconsider but even then he's hardly the only great player on that team.

A great goalkeeper is nice to have. But if it's actually the big key to your side, you don't have a side.

Panama and Honduras played to a 2-2 draw last night in a crazy match in Panama City. This was a bad result for both teams, particularly Panama as they are 4th and their two away matches left are against the USA and Mexico and one of their home matches is against Costa Rica. They needed those 3 points bad.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:24 PM, Death From Above said:

I've watched this sport for basically all of this century and I've yet to be convinced having a top goalkeeper actually swings results in any meaningful way. Hell, just this month we saw Real Madrid win Champion's League with a goalie I genuinely don't think is one of the 50 best in Europe over a team with possibly the greatest Italian goalkeeper ever.

David De Gea is annually Manchester United's best player and they can't get top 4 in their own league.

Jan Oblak at Atletico Madrid might be the closest guy right now to actually making me reconsider but even then he's hardly the only great player on that team.

A great goalkeeper is nice to have. But if it's actually the big key to your side, you don't have a side.

Wasn't Italy's World Cup in 2006 largely credited to keeper play (and Zidane's headbutt)? They had a clean sheet through the knockout rounds until reaching the Finals. I felt like a lot of that tournament coverage was in constant praise of Buffon. They gave up 1 goal in group play and one goal in the finals. Back line play obviously has a lot to do with that as well, I know.

Well it now appears that the answer to the US goalie question is gonna be Jesse Gonzalez whose switch from Mexico to the US was just approved by FIFA

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The US' 9/1 WCQ against Costa Rica has been announced for Red Bull Arena

@sabremike @Pete @Marcel

The worst-kept secret out there - October's WCQ in Orlando was announced ages ago, but this is just coming out now.  

It's a news story when US Soccer actually gets something right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why does Wondolowski continue to get national team callups? He is literally the definition of a player who is good in MLS but is simply not good enough at international level.