DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

Trying not to repeat what Oyaji just said, but fuck FIFA.  Not just for having to shift the dates but because of the godforsaken country they'll be in.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Forgot for a sec a pretty important detail.
  • Like 2

Infantino just stated that this was the "Best World Cup ever", because of course it was. :)

All countries in the world have issues, and no FA is to be excluded from the game. But at this rate, my enthusiasm for World Cups begins and ends at the occasional game. 

12 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

You dont understand why a World Cup in a dessert in summer is a bad idea?

Good point and I forgot for a sec about it being in Qatar.  I was initially saying fuck FIFA because of the dates but it being in Qatar makes it worse.  I'll edit the post.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Infantino just stated that this was the "Best World Cup ever", because of course it was. :)

All countries in the world have issues, and no FA is to be excluded from the game. But at this rate, my enthusiasm for World Cups begins and ends at the occasional game. 

Is that just what they do? Samaranch always said the just completed Olympics was the best ever. 

My wife is even pissed, because she says the World Cup is only supposed to happen during our anniversary. (We got married in Jamaica during the Cup and spent our honeymoon drinking at a swim up bar watching all the games)

On 7/13/2018 at 8:36 PM, jaedmc said:

My wife is even pissed, because she says the World Cup is only supposed to happen during our anniversary. (We got married in Jamaica during the Cup and spent our honeymoon drinking at a swim up bar watching all the games)

It does, but at the usual scheduling, it interferes with the league play in the Northern countries for instances like Sweden, Norway etc. Those countries use something they call "World Cup break", this time it will be 25 or so out of 32 (or 42 out of 48...pukes).

It will be a bitch to work EURO qualifiers into the schedule, I assume

Euro qualifiers should not be an issue, the qualification for the 2020 Euro for example does not start until March 2019. It will be an impediment for the UEFA Nations League, I assume, but I am not sure if that would have a future anyway.

And for anyone saying "fuck FIFA": I my book the IOC is still worse, at least FIFA has not killed the World Cup to a degree that most western countries don't even want to host the event anymore (which is what happened to the Winter Olympics). And a World Cup in Qatar does not make less sense than Winter Olympics in Beijing.

5 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Euro qualifiers should not be an issue, the qualification for the 2020 Euro for example does not start until March 2019. It will be an impediment for the UEFA Nations League, I assume, but I am not sure if that would have a future anyway.

And for anyone saying "fuck FIFA": I my book the IOC is still worse, at least FIFA has not killed the World Cup to a degree that most western countries don't even want to host the event anymore (which is what happened to the Winter Olympics). And a World Cup in Qatar does not make less sense than Winter Olympics in Beijing.

Oh don't worry, there is more than enough contempt in my heart for Fuck The IOC as well. 

In fact, thank you for the reminder.  Fuck The IOC.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Really want to see Croatia pull this off. For Stipe!

Three straight games where they've not only gone to overtime but had to come from behind to get there.  They've got that cardiac kids/comeback kids formula down pretty good.  All these babyface comebacks are kinda infectious.