DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

I'm glad Vancouver didn't give FIFA a blank cheque but I'll almost assuredly be heading over to one of the host cities for some matches. 

Also, do we as a country have anything resembling a proper stadium with non-shitty pitch?

Yes and no. In a larger sense, will the CFL take a week or two off, so as to not compete head to head, at least during the group stage.? I suppose you could just play home games in the cities not hosting WC matches. 

22 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

MetLife will host the final

Which is a shame because it is such a shitty stadium. Completely soulless and half the seats are a mile in the air.

8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Isn't there talk about converting the Skydome to grass? I know MLB is wanting major upgrades...

Where's the Final going to be? I'd like to see it in Estadio Azteca... But I think f'n Jerry World is going to get it. 

Or maybe MetLife.

Maybe this way Rogers can get some government money to help them with the $400 million in upgrades they want to/need to do to the dome

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Robbie Williams is performing at the opening ceremony? 

This is the worst World Cup of all time.

Between this and the opening match being Russia vs. Saudi Arabia it's like they're determined to kill any enjoyment I have in the World Cup.

At least Hasselhoff is entertaining in his own way so I get why Germany loves him.  But...Robbie Williams?!?!  Russia has some terrible taste in music.

• Like 3

I'm now hoping for a 5-4 in the match with both goalkeepers scoring a hat trick each, 6 men sent off, the referee falling on his arse and a streaker. 

It's the only way to make up for Robbie fucking Williams. Don't want to keep banging on about it but...fucking hell.

Yeah, it'll be a nil-nil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm now hoping for a 5-4 in the match with both goalkeepers scoring a hat trick each, 6 men sent off, the referee falling on his arse and a streaker. 

It's the only way to make up for Robbie fucking Williams. Don't want to keep banging on about it but...fucking hell.

Yeah, it'll be a nil-nil.

I like the way you think.  I'd have a group of gay couples kissing each other while we're at it for good measure but that works.

I wish I had the Switch with me so I can play some FIFA.  Would rather destroy them on that than see them play.  But with Russia up 2-0 either they have a good team or Saudi Arabia's pretty bad (sorry, haven't caught up on who's good or not good in this)

I've never since being conscious NOT been into a World Cup. Until now. Apparently I am done with football. 

I'll still read results and I plan on watching Germany vs Sweden. But other than that? 

Sorry if I won't contribute like I usually do. 

Russia and the Saudis were the two lowest ranked teams coming into the event, so of course they got grouped together. I hope Canada gets the benefit of having the second lowest ranked team being put into their group in 2026.

4 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Russia and the Saudis were the two lowest ranked teams coming into the event, so of course they got grouped together. I hope Canada gets the benefit of having the second lowest ranked team being put into their group in 2026.

I don't think they will put Canada and the US in the same group

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I've never since being conscious NOT been into a World Cup. Until now. Apparently I am done with football. 

I'll still read results and I plan on watching Germany vs Sweden. But other than that? 

Sorry if I won't contribute like I usually do. 

It's cool.

People should be boycotting this Cup anyway and I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard of any nations doing so (please tell me if someone has!).  It's semi-regular thing with the Olympics after all.

• Like 1