DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

Peru takes the last spot over New Zealand and the field is set

The draw will take place on Friday, Dec. 1 at 6 p.m. local time in Moscow (3 p.m. GMT / 10 a.m. ET). 

Pot 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France

Pot 2: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Croatia

Pot 3: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, Iran

Pot 4: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, South Korea, Saudi Arabia

Huh? Those are just pots, the actual draw is on December 1st. I'm confused.

Somebody is going to get Spain as a second seed, whereas Poland is a first pot team. Only justice there is if those two teams are drawn in the same group. 

• 2 weeks later...

And here ya go

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Russia?   Rig something?   The hell you say... 

Also, Colombia's got an interesting group.  Japan will be a tough match and so will Senegal.   That being said, they *should* be in a good position to win it. 

Home-country vs home-away-from-home-country in the group stages...damn. I really hope Sweden does NOT bring Ibra back. He's an amazing player and has an electrifying personality, but Sweden clawed and fought their way into this years WC without him and as a team. I really would expect them to 180 the playstyle back to just defending + set-up Zlatan. Germany SHOULD win the group, but every opponent is to be taken seriously.

Russia isn't the first host to get a relatively easy group. Korea and Japan both dodged lots of bullets, South Africa failed to advance in a manageable group. Hell, even Germany got very lucky in 2006. The drawing itself with all its weird rules is only one step away from veing a work, but I still wouldn't exclude the possibility of rigging.

No real group of death for me.

Nobody in their right mind is overrating Sweden. They failed to make it to the last World Cups, they won only one out of six matches in their last two Euros. All of those with an aging Ibra as their single keyplayer.

I don't think they will ever again reach the heights of the 92-94 team, I'm just saying that they have a somewhat working collective without a star player. Seeing how Ibra couldn't do much for them over the last few years and has now fallen victim to a major injury, I can't imagine him being of much help for tre kronor.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be an ongoing investigation to decide if Spain is to be excluded from the 2018 World Cup. The reason would be government-involvement in the Spanish F.A.s decisions. While there is a possibility this might happen, I find it very unlikely. If Spain would get excluded, Italy would replace them.

• 1 month later...

When a federation needs to be cleaned out and fumigated from the top down the sensible thing is to promote the #2 guy to the top spot. Everybody knows that, duh! Seriously, USSF is a swamp that needs draining. 

And here's my thoughts on WC2018: Who gives a flying fuck? I'll be more interested in Atlantic League baseball this summer (Go Lancaster Barnstormers!!!). Thanks USSF!