DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

On 9.10.2017 at 11:46 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

Zero - both Irelands are unseeded

Playoff seeds: Croatia, Denmark, Italy & Switzerland/Portugal

Non seeds: Northern Ireland, Sweden, Rep Ireland & Greece/Bosnia&Herzegovina

As surprised as I am about it, apparently Northern Ireland will get seeded thanks to FIFA Ranking. At least if German football magazine kicker is to be believed:

Seeded teams & respective rankings:

Switzerland  (7th)

Italy  (17th)

Croatia  (18th)

Northern Ireland  (20th)

Unseeded:

Sweden  (23rd)

Denmark  (26th)

Ireland  (34th)

Greece  (47th)

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

As surprised as I am about it, apparently Northern Ireland will get seeded thanks to FIFA Ranking. At least if German football magazine kicker is to be believed:

Seeded teams & respective rankings:

Switzerland  (7th)

Italy  (17th)

Croatia  (18th)

Northern Ireland  (20th)

Unseeded:

Sweden  (23rd)

Denmark  (26th)

Ireland  (34th)

Greece  (47th)

This is from BBC Sport

The eight teams who will play each other for places at the World Cup are:

Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Sweden and Greece.

Four of the sides will be seeded for the play-offs based on this month's Fifa rankings, which will be released on 16 October.

They will be Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Denmark, meaning that there can be no Northern Ireland v Republic of Ireland play-off.

So I am assuming that German mag is looking at the wrong rankings

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bruce Arena "There's nothing wrong with what we're doing"

How him and Sunil haven't both resigned in disgrace yet amazes me. When thinking about USSF I'm reminded what the late great Bobby Heenan said when asked what he would've done if he were in charge of WCW: "I would've gotten everyone in a room and rolled in a hand grenade."

• Like 2

So where does this leave American soccer? Does the nation decide "OK, we tried it, it's not for us" and move on? Or does it take the embarrassment to heart, reform the entire system, and make dominance part of its agenda? The middle ground won't hold for much longer, especially once the money from parents, MLS sponsors, and half-assed camp developers dries up.

28 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

So where does this leave American soccer? Does the nation decide "OK, we tried it, it's not for us" and move on? Or does it take the embarrassment to heart, reform the entire system, and make dominance part of its agenda? The middle ground won't hold for much longer, especially once the money from parents, MLS sponsors, and half-assed camp developers dries up.

For a start we need to drive a stake through the heart of the bullshit pay to play youth setups. They are the herpes of American soccer.

• Like 1

Just now, sabremike said:

For a start we need to drive a stake through the heart of the bullshit pay to play youth setups. They are the herpes of American soccer.

Absolutely. Affluent parents are dropping thousands of dollars into camps and league fees while kids in impoverished countries are playing ball with a bundle of rags for a ball and a bucket for a goal and could probably smoke any iteration of the USMNT in history.

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Pity about Chile. Their matches were always exciting and fun to watch.

As for the US... Well, that goal by Gonzalez was a beauty.

Chile players could use the rest, esp Sanchez. Missing the WC is an extreme way to do it.

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

They were apparently looking at the September ratings.

How does the BBC have the Rakings a week ahead of their release?

Pretty sure BBC (and others) did the math since I know the formula that FIFA uses Is out there somewhere

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Early reports from the soccer media types is that Fox is planning on going all-in on coverage of Mexico now.

Yes - I do love the irony

Do they not realize how much of the experience of watching a Mexican match is the Mexican t.v. coverage and the sexy-ass Mexican commercials?

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Pretty sure BBC (and others) did the math since I know the formula that FIFA uses Is out there somewhere

Good job if they got them right. I'm still a little confused as to how they would with how they would without having all the results of the last qualifiers, but I could live with Sweden v Denmark. Plus I was never a mathematics genius, so what do I know.