DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

• 2 weeks later...

There's a rule that World Cup stadiums must have a minimum capacity of 35,000 seats.  Russia's Ekaterinburg Arena only seats 27,000.  Solution, cut a hole in the wall and set up more seats outside.  And make sure not to trip and fall at the end of your row.

russia-stadium-2018-Ekaterinburg.png

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Qualifying things of note

- Today is the first leg of the Australia/Syria playoff. Winner of that faces the CONCACAF 4th Place finisher

Finished in a 1:1 draw

Slight edge to the Aussies since they are home for leg two

18 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

There's a rule that World Cup stadiums must have a minimum capacity of 35,000 seats.  Russia's Ekaterinburg Arena only seats 27,000.  Solution, cut a hole in the wall and set up more seats outside.  And make sure not to trip and fall at the end of your row.

russia-stadium-2018-Ekaterinburg.png

This looks like my worst nightmare. The stadium itself I like.

Glad we left no doubts. Although everyone expected us to handily win that group, qualifiers can be very stressful. I don't view us as favourites for next year, but it is way too early to call.

So yeah - Argentina is making things really really dicey for themselves right now

They tied Peru last night

With one game remaining - they sit 6th in the table. Top 4 automatically qualify. 5th plays New Zealand in playoff.

Now - everything is a giant cluster as 3rd (Chile) and 4th (Columbia) have 26 points while Peru and Argentina have 25. The goal differential is super close too. Where Argentina gets hurt is their goals scored is like 10 behind everyone else.

On Tuesday - Argentina plays at Ecuador. (Peru is home against Columbia. Chile goes to Brazil (but Brazil has long since qualified).

And I feel like I should remind everyone that Peru got awarded a 3-0 victory after Bolivia fielded an ineligible player (Peru originally lost that game 2-0)

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I really hope Iceland can make it to Russia. That be one of the all-time football miracles.

This is why I dislike the soon to be expanded format because things like this will be nowhere near as big an accomplishment when everyone except San Marino and Vanuatu makes it.

• Like 1

I feel it will still be a less predictable event than the Champion's League where the group stage is usually kind of meaningless for a lot of the top teams, but it's definitely a better format now. The bigger format is going to open up too many of those last round robin "a draw would be nice wink wink" games where you get excited about Brazil vs. Portugal and it turns into the worst game you watch all year.

Highlight of the day: Dick Advocaat (coach of The Netherlands) said that it would still be possible to go to the World Cup if they won their final two matches provided they score enough goals (so they would end up higher than Sweden in their group). Journalist asked him, 'But what if Sweden beats Luxembourg with 8-0 tonight?' Advocaat's reply: 'Sweden won't beat Luxembourg with 8-0. What a stupid question!'

What happened today? Sweden beat Luxembourg with 8-0.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Costa Rica officially in after getting a tie with Hondorus after scoring in the 95th! Minute

Also if I have my math right US now pretty much advances with a draw in Trinidad (Panama would have to make up a 3+ goal difference and there's no fucking way Honduras makes it up). 

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Also if I have my math right US now pretty much advances with a draw in Trinidad (Panama would have to make up a 3+ goal difference and there's no fucking way Honduras makes it up). 

It's way more than +3

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sabremike said:

This is why I dislike the soon to be expanded format because things like this will be nowhere near as big an accomplishment when everyone except San Marino and Vanuatu makes it.

Totally true. I think 32 is a proven formula, featuring teams deserving participation and allowing for an even number split of teams making the round of the last sixteen. The level in World Football has risen enough to step away from the 1950ies to late 1970ies 16-nation-tourneys. 48 is as ridiculous as a 24-team-Euro. And every fan knows it's part of the political bs that fucks the sport over.

OK I read the table wrong before the ESPN app updated it. If they can't get a draw in Trinidad the plane home should be rerouted to land in Pyongyang.