DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

I am not sure why Mexico and Canada have been added to the host list, other than hosts getting into the tournament automatically.

For the Women's World Cup in Canada, Winnipeg hosted 4 sessions, 7 games. We had the Americans here for the first 2 sessions, so the stadium was packed, and it was a pretty amazing atmosphere. As for CFL stadiums that were used, BC Place in Vancouver, Commonwealth in Edmonton, whatever Ottawa's new stadium that is not Lansdowne, and Olympic Stadium in Montreal were used. Moncton was the one non-CFL city that hosted games.

Basically Mexico and Canada know they will never get the World Cup on their own and CONCACAF and the US are concerned that a US only bid will get rejected due to everyone hating America right now

As detailed in yesterday’s bid announcement, Mexico and Canada are just kind of along for the ride. With 48 teams instead of 32, there will be more matches, and U.S. would host 60 of those matches (with Mexico and Canada hosting 10 each, and none from the quarterfinals onward), or not much fewer than the 64 of a complete tournament under the current contract.

This is, essentially, an American bid, and it sure sounds like the other federations understand that they’re PR props for CONCACAF. The Mexican federation president Decio de María said yesterday it wasn’t what they wanted “but it is what we got.”

“The United States doesn’t need us to host a World Cup,” de Maria told Televisa. “That is the message. On Day 1, we didn’t have a single game. Today, 10.”

Also per ESPN - CONCACAF is trying to get the FIFA to decide by the end of the year and not accept any other bids to host the 2026 WC

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Basically Mexico and Canada know they will never get the World Cup on their own and CONCACAF and the US are concerned that a US only bid will get rejected due to everyone hating America right now

Does that make sense, though? Sure normal people look at America as a dumpster fire with nukes, but you'd think the ethically-deficient sorts that run FIFA would look at what's going on and think "Not bad."

I should have clarified 

It's the "hate America inside soccer" way. Not because of current outside reasons

I seemed to recall that a lot of African nations were anti-US because the US was anti-Sepp

And then there is the usual "THEY HAVEN'T BEEN GOOD AT SOCCER AS LONG AS WE HAVE SO WHY SHOULD THEY HOST!!!" thing

• 1 month later...

God all I ask for tonight is a draw at Azteca. Sadly looking at the talent discrepancy between the teams it will probably be a 3 or 4-0 mauling. I will say if Bruce gets something out of this game he has to go to the top of any list of greatest CONCACAF coaches ever.

My God we did it. I lost about 3 years of my life watching the last 20 minutes. ALL HAIL BRUCE ARENA, ALL  CONQUERING COACHING GOD AMONG MEN!

On 10.6.2017 at 1:03 AM, odessasteps said:

Oof, Hugo Lloris

While Lloris clearance was awful, the pass-back was already bad. Good for Sweden. Netherlands are still within striking distance, what a close group.

Iceland beat Croatia to join them on 13 points. The group is 13-13-11-11 right now.

Outside of picking up the point and not losing any more ground, I'm not sure how you can walk away super positive from last night's US/Mexico. That Bradley goal was unbelievable and will probably be in highlight reels for awhile, but that goal would be more spectacular if the US had walked away with 3 points.The Bradley shot that hit the post would have been more spectacular if it had just been slightly more to the left.

With Howard on the verge of retirement, are there any prospects for keeper out there. I just never feel super confident with Guzan in front of the net.