DVDVR Message Board

HULK HOGAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

Booker T. Huffman ‏@BookerT5x  3m3 minutes ago

20 years ago I made a huge mistake by saying something I shouldn't have on National TV.

And 20 years later, Booker finally got him.

• Like 12

Has Michael Hayes ever been recorded saying racist stuff??

When you google WWE and racism, Hayes/Henry and Alberto Del Rio are two of the top non-Hogan things that come up.

I imagine lots of outlets are going to be digging into this further.

I feel like we say this a lot and it never happens, plus I have a feeling the media doesn't want to shine too much of a light on this in case things get reflected back to them. The reason there can be such a shitshow about this and no one's going to dig further is because it's just a wrestling company. It is enjoyed by about 3 million people (on a good Monday night) and is looked down on as low brow entertainment for stupid people. So the people who generally flip their shit on stuff like this won't because they expect it and figure only a small amount of people actually watch it.

Sure but the fact that's connected to Hogan makes it an easier story to sell to the masses.

The only problem is Hulk was not working for WWE at the time these comments were made. Also when WWE had an active wrestler who was going to win a title on pay-per-view who instead kills his wife, son and then himself and nothing really came of that media wise. Yeah Chris Benoit is nowhere near the name Hulk Hogan is but the implications for Benoit were wayyyyy worse for WWE and Vince than this audio is. WWE and Vince will be fine. Besides most of the reaction is that of course a 60+ year old man who's lives in Florida is racist. It's not a big surprise to the masses.

As far as ruining childhood and everything, I needn't worry about that.  That was ruined once I found out about the steroids in the '90s.  I've had quite a few years of accepting the fact that Hogan is not the good guy we all thought he was.  Despite that I was willing to overlook it in certain moments, but never lost sight of how he really is.  I'm not saying this to one-up anybody, just saying the blow has been extremely softened after knowing about his flaws for so long.  The steroid trial plus the power play he did in WCW only cemented my opinions on him.  Not sure when the racist part of him started to take shape, but can't say I'm surprised.

Maybe it was un-wise to take Gawker to court.  Fuck him for saying what he said, but if anybody's going to get it it's them.  Choose your battles wisely, Hulk.

Can't help but think with today's generation when I have kids I feel their heroes will show more transparency.  With social media and everything today's stars know it's impossible to hide anything like this.  Makes it easier to see who's a decent person and who has some serious flaws to them.  With Hogan he didn't think this would get out, maybe that's due to an old mentality he's held onto.

Has Michael Hayes ever been recorded saying racist stuff??

When you google WWE and racism, Hayes/Henry and Alberto Del Rio are two of the top non-Hogan things that come up.

I imagine lots of outlets are going to be digging into this further.

I feel like we say this a lot and it never happens, plus I have a feeling the media doesn't want to shine too much of a light on this in case things get reflected back to them. The reason there can be such a shitshow about this and no one's going to dig further is because it's just a wrestling company. It is enjoyed by about 3 million people (on a good Monday night) and is looked down on as low brow entertainment for stupid people. So the people who generally flip their shit on stuff like this won't because they expect it and figure only a small amount of people actually watch it.

Mediaite posted this story to Facebook and the first comment was "Most WWE fans are racist, so this won't go well for the company." Sooooooooo yeah.....

As per everyone else, WWE better hope the media doesn't start taking a closer look at the WWE's record on racial sesnitivity.

Virgil keeping his counsel on this so far.....

It's not a problem.  IT was the Vince McMahon CHARACTER who called Booker T the n-word, not Vince McMahon the man.

Technically he called Cena the n-word. Booker just happened to be present when he did.

• Like 1

I am trying to appreciate the silver lining aka Brooke Hogan likes black dudes but the fact that her nose only has one nostril really weirds me out.  It is like looking at a Dali painting.

Technically he called Cena the n-word. Booker just happened to be present when he did.

Cena has more rhythm than half of the Black engineers in my office.  The tribe of the US diaspora would be honored to offer him an official ghetto pass..

• Like 2

Hopefully this leads to Michael Hayes showing up in court in a bright orange zoot suit to testify on Hogan's behalf.  

I want to like this, but I don't want to blow through all my likes this early in the day. Damn you Hogan, damn you straight to hell.

The mainstream media can't even be bothered to report on widespread institutional racism in the criminal justice system. They've barely covered the story in Orange County of a secret informant database that defense attorneys never had access to and is probably going to overturn thousands of convictions. So for people expecting some in depth reporting about WWE racism, well don't hold your breath.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/orange-county-district-attorney_55a6fc50e4b0c5f0322c5b8e

• Like 2

If Hogan's looking for work, Ron and Don Harris would have no problem bringing him aboard. 

Too soon.  I can eventually forgive Hogan for being an idiot.  I cannot forgive the Hall Brothers for being Nazis.

Also, does this mean I have to un-install my ROM of WWE WrestleFest from my home computer?

Aw, but that game's a gem and a half.  There's some other damn fine wrestlers you can stick with.  I normally use Warrior and Savage, they're fun.

Is it irony that Hogan tried to sue Gawker for disparaging his name, and it ends up disparaging his name even further?

No, the irony is that his entrance theme used to be Real American.

Also, does this mean I have to un-install my ROM of WWE WrestleFest from my home computer?

Aw, but that game's a gem and a half.  There's some other damn fine wrestlers you can stick with.  I normally use Warrior and Savage, they're fun.

Slaughter and Bossman FTW.  Side slam sets up the Atomic Noogie.