DVDVR Message Board

HULK HOGAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

The Rock passes the paper bag test.  Just barely.

In all seriousness, the idea that the Rock counts as being "black" shows how fucked-up our perceptions about race still are in common society. He's half pureblood Samoan on his mom's side, and Rocky Johnson is pale enough that he clearly has plenty of European DNA in his genes. Yet we're still taught to look at people like Dwayne, with considerably less than 50% African ancestry, as being "a black guy". It probably all traces back to the One Drop rule of slavery: that is, if anyone had so much as one drop of African blood in their veins, they were legally considered black and could be owned as slaves. That attitude has never entirely gone away, and that's how you get a modern society which is still so weird about race that someone like Rachel Dolezal can pass for black with nothing but a spray-tan and a perm.

I'm not quite sure why people got on you for this post. We accept more and more that gender is a construct, but we still don't quite get that race is a construct in this country. I had to check myself when The Rock wanted to be identified as Samoan because I was like, "What, is he ashamed of being black?" But it isn't about me, and to fall into that sort of stupidity just validates the way we think about race in this country as being part of your blood. Race is nothing but a cultural construct, and really, you should be able to identify how you want to without getting shit from everyone. 

• Like 1

Oh, I think Hogan will be back.  When I read the transcript of what he said it was very disturbing and I'll never forget it. I even said to a couple friends "he's not coming back from this"  but the more I think about it..   sadly people have come back from worse in the entertainment business.  I don't think you can fault WWE's swift action. They had to do this. Right now Hulk Hogan being a racist piece of crap is the story. If Vince didn't act right away the story becomes "why?"

No fucking way in hell they could risk that.

In all seriousness, the idea that the Rock counts as being "black" shows how fucked-up our perceptions about race still are in common society. He's half pureblood Samoan on his mom's side, and Rocky Johnson is pale enough that he clearly has plenty of European DNA in his genes. Yet we're still taught to look at people like Dwayne, with considerably less than 50% African ancestry, as being "a black guy". It probably all traces back to the One Drop rule of slavery: that is, if anyone had so much as one drop of African blood in their veins, they were legally considered black and could be owned as slaves. That attitude has never entirely gone away, and that's how you get a modern society which is still so weird about race that someone like Rachel Dolezal can pass for black with nothing but a spray-tan and a perm.

I'm not quite sure why people got on you for this post. We accept more and more that gender is a construct, but we still don't quite get that race is a construct in this country. I had to check myself when The Rock wanted to be identified as Samoan because I was like, "What, is he ashamed of being black?" But it isn't about me, and to fall into that sort of stupidity just validates the way we think about race in this country as being part of your blood. Race is nothing but a cultural construct, and really, you should be able to identify how you want to without getting shit from everyone. 

fiddy.gif

• Like 2

fiddy.gif

Oh, stop appropriating black culture already and make your point with words. 

I'm totally pro-Rachel Dolezal myself. She just was vibin' to that King Sun jawn a little too hard...

But I ain't gonna hate cause shit in the early 90's I was rockin' the Karl Kanis with the sock hat and the FIlas with the straps hangin' off the back, I stopped just short of hittin up the mall kiosk for a "Malcolm, Martin, Mandela and Me" shirt although nowadays I would kill to get my hands on one of those...

If Vince had gone with Dr. D as his Hogan, this would've come back to haunt him years later. 

You know, the idea of Dr. D as the big babyface redneck champion who takes on foreigners would have been an interesting twist on things. It would've been like Stone Cold, except Dr. D threatens to slap his wife on the air. 

Tell me that dude didn't just accuse a black guy of appropriating black culture.

Even better since it was after marginalizing cultural heritage.

No one marginalized cultural heritage. However, this concept that cultural heritage is inextricably tied to race is harmful. 

I was being flip, by the way, and almost posted that I was. Should have done it because now it looks like I'm saying so after the fact. Don't know what that poster's skin color is and don't give a shit. 

This is a message board where people are giving their opinions on the issue, not a thread that people can only post if they agree with you.  People just pick and choose what they get annoyed about depending on the wrestler that does it, I don't see any anger about WWE still using people convicted of actual crimes (Austin, Tyson, etc.), but being a racist is somehow worse.  Would be interesting to see if Cena made a similar comment if he would be equally condemned by WWE and everyone online.

It wouldn't be interesting. Cena would absolutely be condemned the same way. If you're suggesting that people would give him a free pass because he's more well-liked than Hogan, I think you're misunderstanding why a lot of people are upset by this.

My whole problem with this whole episode on Hulk Hogan is if it wasn't for Hogan, the WWE really wouldn't be where it is today. Sure, Vince could have gotten someone else (Magnum T.A. if he didn't end his career prematurely, Dr. D David Schultz, Dusty Rhodes), but I don't think the WWE would have gotten as far (nor sold out WrestleMania III).

There's honestly no excuse for Hogan's current behavior, but giving him the Benoit treatment for everything he's done is knee-jerk reactionary and typical Vince McMahon. Will this mean every match with Hogan on the WWE Network is gone too (if that's the case, there goes a lot of people's reasons for subscribing)?

If the WWE now all of sudden is against racism or discrimination, why hasn't Vince been fired for saying the 'n-word' on TV (albeit in a storyline)? Why hasn't Akeem the African Dream been purged? Or Saba Simba? Or Kamala?

After awhile, the WWE will run out of people whose behavior they are ashamed of being associated with.

They lost 50 MILLION because of this. That's about as non knee-jerk as it gets.

Or, losing 50 mil would make my knees jerk too. Whichever works better for you.

"He's half pureblood Samoan on his mom's side, and Rocky Johnson is pale enough that he clearly has plenty of European DNA in his genes"

THAT sentence is why I had a problem with that post.  It's a fucking ridiculous statement. Period.

• Like 2

The difference between gender and race is that race has always been a social construct.  You can't choose your race, especially if you are a minority, because it has nothing to do with how you feel about yourself nearly as much as it has to do with how society feels about you.  I can't choose not to be black, because no one will choose not to see me as black. 

"He's half pureblood Samoan on his mom's side, and Rocky Johnson is pale enough that he clearly has plenty of European DNA in his genes"

THAT sentence is why I had a problem with that post.  It's a fucking ridiculous statement. Period.

I feel you, man. That is an antiquated way to talk about heritage or ethnicity. I guess I was just focused on the argument as a whole and didn't focus in enough on that statement. 

• Like 1

Hulk is an steroid-addicted, compulsively lying orange pro wrestler who slept with with his morbidly obese fat friend's hot young wife while they secretly recorded him making racist comments about his talentless daughter's attempts to date a black billionaire's son to further her pop music career. All while his own wife was fucking one of her son's friends from school.

And he's still not anything close to the strangest guy in Florida.  

That actually sounds like a plot from a Carl Hiaasen novel. . . 

Pretty much. All that's missing is a briefcase full of money and a gangster showing up and shooting someone.

I'm still waiting to hear why I'm supposed to be wrong. Nobody's given a single reason why. Rocky Senior's skin color gives the general vibe that his genes ain't 100% African. Yet even though he's not totally black, a child that he has with an entirely-not-black wife is still somehow considered "black" by society as a final result? I just think that's kinda weird. Dwayne's more Samoan than African, why does the African heritage apparently count for more?

I'm still waiting to hear why I'm supposed to be wrong. Nobody's given a single reason why. Rocky Senior's skin color gives the general vibe that his genes ain't 100% African. Yet even though he's not totally black, a child that he has with an entirely-not-black wife is still somehow considered "black" by society as a final result? I just think that's kinda weird. Dwayne's more Samoan than African, why does the African heritage apparently count for more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule