DVDVR Message Board

HULK HOGAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

I'm not sure if this has been said, I guess the issue I have with it is, why should I care if Hogan is racist?  Lots of people are racist.  Some white people are racist, some black people are racist, some Asians are racists.  People are sexist, homophobic, you name it.  I guess I don't look at wrestlers as super humans, I know people in my every day life that hate some other type of people, whether it be friends, family, or co-workers.  Hogan not wanting his daughter to date a black person has zero impact on my life and zero impact on how I feel about him because he was just a wrestler to me.  And I'll still enjoy his matches, hate his backstage politics, etc. the same today as I did a week ago. His personal views on life don't really matter to me, he's just a dude from Florida to me when it comes to personal life.

• Like 2

Are we supposed to ignore terrible things when they land in front of us? We call each other out on stuff on this board all the time, why would we give Hogan a pass?

Maybe some of us just don't feel like shrugging it off anymore.  We've been told 'shit happens' forever and maybe we're just tired of it.

Sorry for the mini-sermon.

I'm not sure if this has been said, I guess the issue I have with it is, why should I care if Hogan is racist?  Lots of people are racist.  Some white people are racist, some black people are racist, some Asians are racists.  People are sexist, homophobic, you name it.  I guess I don't look at wrestlers as super humans, I know people in my every day life that hate some other type of people, whether it be friends, family, or co-workers.  Hogan not wanting his daughter to date a black person has zero impact on my life and zero impact on how I feel about him because he was just a wrestler to me.  And I'll still enjoy his matches, hate his backstage politics, etc. the same today as I did a week ago. His personal views on life don't really matter to me, he's just a dude from Florida to me when it comes to personal life.

Well you don't have to care. But that also doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have to care.

• Like 1

I don't even like Hogan's matches. His promos were always the same. He was a son of a bitch backstage and NOW we know he's a bigot. I'm all for throwing the piece of shit away.

Did you guys hear the latest?

Big Fresh is a racist.

• Like 3

Well you don't have to care. But that also doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have to care.

This is a message board where people are giving their opinions on the issue, not a thread that people can only post if they agree with you.  People just pick and choose what they get annoyed about depending on the wrestler that does it, I don't see any anger about WWE still using people convicted of actual crimes (Austin, Tyson, etc.), but being a racist is somehow worse.  Would be interesting to see if Cena made a similar comment if he would be equally condemned by WWE and everyone online.

• Like 1

This is a message board where people are giving their opinions on the issue, not a thread that people can only post if they agree with you.  People just pick and choose what they get annoyed about depending on the wrestler that does it, I don't see any anger about WWE still using people convicted of actual crimes (Austin, Tyson, etc.), but being a racist is somehow worse.  Would be interesting to see if Cena made a similar comment if he would be equally condemned by WWE and everyone online.

In this day and age YES YES He would and the many who don't like Cena to begin with would use it as the tip of the spear.

It would likely be much worse for Cena, given his squeaky-clean image and PR work.

Would you want to explain to a make a wish kid that Cena said bad words about (aggrevied minority culture/race/gender/orientation)?

Austin and Tyson have gotten plenty of criticism.  Some folks mention Scott Hall and Jimmy Snuka regularly, too.

The 'it doesn't impact my life' is a cop-out.  If something abuses their child and I know it, I'm now in the clear in not reporting it because it doesn't directly affect me?  Come on.

You're dangerously close to coming across as an apologist for Hogan.

I don't even like Hogan's matches. His promos were always the same. He was a son of a bitch backstage and NOW we know he's a bigot. I'm all for throwing the piece of shit away.

Did you guys hear the latest?

Big Fresh is a racist.

God damnit, I was on your side for your first paragraph!

• Like 1

Austin and Tyson have gotten plenty of criticism.  Some folks mention Scott Hall and Jimmy Snuka regularly, too.

The 'it doesn't impact my life' is a cop-out.  If something abuses their child and I know it, I'm now in the clear in not reporting it because it doesn't directly affect me?  Come on.

You're dangerously close to coming across as an apologist for Hogan.

I'm pretty sure he's saying he doesn't care. Which is the point, why should anyone care? Should we collectively call the police on Hogan for being a geriatric racist piece of shit? Comparing a celebrity admitting to being a racist and then using racial slurs to knowing someone in your personal life that beats their children or spouse... not totally on the mark there. One issue I don't care about, and one I definitely would. I'll let you decide which is which.

Yes, let's not care about racism.  It's the way to go! <_<

And I don't have to know you--if I see you beat your child in Walmart, I'm looking to report you (because at my Wally World, there's only a 50% chance someone else, including an employee, would).

It's been fun.

Because I don't care if Hulk Hogan is a racist or not, I automatically don't care about racism? That's quite the stretch. I don't know Hulk Hogan, so how am I supposed to impact his life and make him realize his views on race are wrong? Should I tweet him about it?

My whole problem with this whole episode on Hulk Hogan is if it wasn't for Hogan, the WWE really wouldn't be where it is today. Sure, Vince could have gotten someone else (Magnum T.A. if he didn't end his career prematurely, Dr. D David Schultz, Dusty Rhodes), but I don't think the WWE would have gotten as far (nor sold out WrestleMania III).

There's honestly no excuse for Hogan's current behavior, but giving him the Benoit treatment for everything he's done is knee-jerk reactionary and typical Vince McMahon. Will this mean every match with Hogan on the WWE Network is gone too (if that's the case, there goes a lot of people's reasons for subscribing)?

If the WWE now all of sudden is against racism or discrimination, why hasn't Vince been fired for saying the 'n-word' on TV (albeit in a storyline)? Why hasn't Akeem the African Dream been purged? Or Saba Simba? Or Kamala?

After awhile, the WWE will run out of people whose behavior they are ashamed of being associated with.

• Like 1

Eh, it's the same deal everyone does when they do something racist, commit violence toward women or children, etc. Half the people out there are already justifying Hogan's behavior. All he has to do is act as if he's penitent and wait for the never-ending news cycle to latch onto something else. Like, I'm sure Floyd Mayweather won't be able to help himself and will be punching a defenseless woman soon enough. Then, Hogan can lay low for a few months, maybe a couple years, before coming back under the radar. 

Eh, it's the same deal everyone does when they do something racist, commit violence toward women or children, etc. Half the people out there are already justifying Hogan's behavior. All he has to do is act as if he's penitent and wait for the never-ending news cycle to latch onto something else. Like, I'm sure Floyd Mayweather won't be able to help himself and will be punching a defenseless woman soon enough. Then, Hogan can lay low for a few months, maybe a couple years, before coming back under the radar. 

NFL training camps are about to open so you'll have everyone focused on that.