DVDVR Message Board

HULK HOGAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

This would be the time for the news media to really delve into all of WWE's institutional racism.

They'd need Ken Burns to direct it.

I'm sure they just have no idea what's out there. A story would have to go viral. 

But a celebrity falling due to something scandalous like this is way more newsgrabby than that.

Vince always has had the oddest and dumbest sense of humor, that's my only explanation for the several decades of racially insensitive gimmicks they've had, including now of all times. At least they don't have Roman acting like the old Samoans, that would be difficult to explain away. Umaga was bad enough even if his work overshadowed it.

Anyone think that Hogan will find this experience as humbling as he hoped Patrick getting eliminated from Tough Enough was for him?

I'm personally looking forward to seeing what legendary ex-wrestler is going to be the first to obliviously defend Hogan's "freedom of speech" on a podcast and get his own Legends contract terminated.

My money is on Ric Flair. Primarily because Honky Tonk Man isn't on a Legends contract.

The right to free speech does exist. The right to a job in WWE does not.

• Like 1

How come every freedom of speech arguement is essetially, "why can't I say fucked up shit to people and get away with it?" 

They don't understand the first amendment really pertains to the government.

I can say the president is doing a terrible job and not get arrested, it doesn't protect me from getting fired for calling someone a slur.

• Like 2

As per everyone else, WWE better hope the media doesn't start taking a closer look at the WWE's record on racial sesnitivity.

Virgil keeping his counsel on this so far.....

It's not a problem.  IT was the Vince McMahon CHARACTER who called Booker T the n-word, not Vince McMahon the man.  It is HHH the CHARACTER who wears the Iron Cross, not Paul Lequack.  It was the X-Pac CHARACTER who wore black face, not Sean Waltman.  IT was Kevin Nash the CHARACTER who wore FUBU gear, not Kevin Nash the man.  That makes it all okay.  

1) The whole world has changed a lot. I think the WWE would have canned Hulk for this five years ago, but they would have absolutely dragged their feet in doing so. They may have just let Hulk make a public apology and let him hang on. But since so many things have changed in just the past few weeks -- who would have predicted in March that South Carolina would take down the Confederate flag? -- big corporations will get ahead of things as quickly as they can. The WWE just happened to be the first corporation to have one of its biggest known entities crap up like this.

2) It also helps distance themselves with whatever comes with the Gawker lawsuit. And Gawker in general, since that place is its own dumpster fire at this point.

3) I am predicting that Hulk will reappear in the WWE in five years or so. Everyone forgets everything eventually. Our new media and information climate breaks news and gets everyone outraged for a few hours/days and then we move on to the next thing a few days later.

• Like 3

Reading Gawker's reporting of this is kinda funny since there is essentially a 100% chance they leaked the transcripts, but have to say "Gosh, how could these have possibly been leaked?"

• Like 2

I always thought that I liked Macho Man more than Hogan, because he was a dirty mack.  Who knew that not only is Hogan the type of person who would try to steal your girlfriend and then pretend that you have a problem when you get mad, but he's also a racist.  Now I'm wondering if those jealous eyes were not only for Miss Elizabeth, but towards me for the white women I might sleep with in the future.  The world may never know.

• Like 4