DVDVR Message Board

HULK HOGAN DUMPSTER FIRE THREAD

Well since it appears that the WWE has sent out a release confirming that is has terminated it's contract with Hogan - one would think they wouldn't do that without confirming lest opening themselves up to their own lawsuit

Jonathan Snowden ‏@JESnowden  8m8 minutes ago

From @WWE: "WWE terminated its contract w/ Hulk Hogan. WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds..."

Especially if you are willing to act like a goofy stereotype like R-Truth

Hopefully the WWE just leaves it at that because if there is one thing the WWE doesn't want is people investigating their history with black people.   Hell they only need to go back a good year and be screwed

Well since it appears that the WWE has sent out a release confirming that is has terminated it's contract with Hogan - one would think they wouldn't do that without confirming lest opening themselves up to their own lawsuit

From @WWE: "WWE terminated its contract w/ Hulk Hogan. WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds..."

Yes, because we can make an incredible list about all the racially sensitive gimmicks over the years...

Maybe Hogan thought Saba Simba was about black empowerment and was just discussing that and his expertise in Sambo martial arts.

Awful lot of honkies in here.

Might as well make this a separate thread since clearly this will have legs for a little bit.

I am going to move posts over so don't be surprised if things are shuttling around

(reads this post) "please call it the hogan dumpster fire thread oh please oh please"

• Like 2

Especially if you are willing to act like a goofy stereotype like R-Truth

Hopefully the WWE just leaves it at that because if there is one thing the WWE doesn't want is people investigating their history with black people.   Hell they only need to go back a good year and be screwed

"No really! We have a deep commitment to diversity! We even commissioned a gold plaque that declared how much we celebrate and embrace all people! Here, I'll show it to y...oh, that's right, we had Cryme Tyme steal it on RAW."

• Like 1

akeem-219x241.jpg

• Like 5

Hogan always came off as sort of  a redneck. Not really surprised by this, at all.

I mean, he did pretty blatantly call Yokozuna a Jap during Wrestlemania 9 [which obviously stood out and was very jarring for me since I A] remember it 20+ years later B] remember anything about Wrestlemania 9 besides outdoors/animals/"togas"].  "Wait, the goodguy shouldn't say really racist things, even about a heel..."

No connection here other than the association/reminder in my own mind, but that's how these things go.  One horrible thing happens and a bunch of other stuff starts to "fit".

Anyone think that Hogan will find this experience as humbling as he hoped Patrick getting eliminated from Tough Enough was for him?

I'm personally looking forward to seeing what legendary ex-wrestler is going to be the first to obliviously defend Hogan's "freedom of speech" on a podcast and get his own Legends contract terminated.

My money is on Ric Flair. Primarily because Honky Tonk Man isn't on a Legends contract.

Yeah, the Enquirer story is pretty awful. That's some strong stuff. Not up there with Michael Richards and Mel Gibson level but bad enough to deserve a ton of flak. 

WWE is smart to completely step away from him. I think people are gonna make to much about the HOF stuff and getting rid of his merchandise. The HOF is imaginary, as it is. I imagine the fear is they don't want people immediately associating Hulk Hogan with WWE (although they will). 

I do think there's a way back from this. Assuming another tape comes out where he's threatening to murder or lynch minorities, I think people, at some point, will be cognizant of the fact that the dude was secretly taped and basically extorted. After a few years of good PR and image rebuilding, which you can imagine will be coming (the "rehabilitation of Hulk Hogan" kind of writes itself), I can see this becoming a footnote and not a defining chapter. Unlike Richards and Gibson, this wasn't a public, violent diatribe directed at specific people. 

This is especially true if he wins his lawsuit against Gawker and he's shown to have been a victim. 

I also think that considering how not on top of things that WWE is that there is a good chance that Hogan was the one that gave them a heads up that this tape was about to leak. You gotta imagine WWE runs from the tabloid scene considering all their shady shit so I doubt they'd have sources. 

Pretty shitty story all around. We've  known for years that the dude playing Hulk Hogan was a very, very flawed dude. That kind of language isn't surprising and it is unfortunate. Really, this whole story from the sex tape on should have never been a thing.

Also, and maybe this is just me, every time a scandal in wrestling breaks I wish people wouldn't immediately bust out the Benoit comments and comparisons. That was the most horrific story in wrestling history and up there in worst crimes in, like, any history. No one immediately brings up OJ slaughtering his wife every time an NFL gets an assault charge. Both of those stories are just awful tragedies and both of those people *should* be forgotten and discarded in history. Those things are just unpleasant to even think about. Hogan is an old racist white dude, just because WWE pulled his merch and profile doesn't mean we need to equate it to the "Benoit treatment." 

• Like 4

Anyone think that Hogan will find this experience as humbling as he hoped Patrick getting eliminated from Tough Enough was for him?

I'm personally looking forward to seeing what legendary ex-wrestler is going to be the first to obliviously defend Hogan's "freedom of speech" on a podcast and get his own Legends contract terminated.

My money is on Ric Flair. Primarily because Honky Tonk Man isn't on a Legends contract.

Can Flair lose his Legends contract? I thought he was untouchable with WWE because Hunter loves him