DVDVR Message Board

The Muppets TV Show

Dolfan in NYC

Oh hell no, I've been a huge Rachel Bloom fan ever since "Fuck Me, Ray Bradbury". The ratings for CEG unfortunately seem bad enough that it probably won't get renewed, but I'm amazed it ever made it to network television in the first place. I mean, really: a kinda-chubby internet video starlet, who specializes in musical comedy based on her own crippling neurosis? How the hell did THAT act get greenlit for an hour-long sitcom with song numbers and given a great primetime slot on broadcast TV? I dunno who blew whom in order to get that deal made, but I don't even care, I'm happily shocked that the show is happening at all.

While the show has been renewed, they apparently are already rebooting the whole show after episode 10.

I've liked the show so far. I hope they don't change it up too much, but maybe this version will be more to the liking of the "haters".

Oh well, It looks like my prediction of the show lasting only six episodes will only be off by 10 episodes.

I don't get the intent to reboot already.  The show works as is.  This is the problem with networks.  They won't support shows long enough to try and find an audience.

• Like 1

Tuesday's episode was awesome in several different ways, but that link above about a "reboot" scares me to death. Why? Look, bottom line is, people want it to be more like The Muppet Show, because they remember it fondly from their youths. So do I. But they've tried that once and it didn't work (Muppets Tonight).

It's like the WWE going back to Cena all the time - let the brand grow a little, try something new. For example, how cool is Uncle Deadly in this show? He was used to perfection Tuesday, and that's something we might not have seen if they hadn't taken a chance on something new.

Chances are they'd love to have something more YouTube/Twitter/Instagram whatever friendly, 'cause that's all entertainment is apparently about these days. Clicks, dammit!

• Like 2

"Elevators are basically the same as Helicopters, its just a matter of how high you want to go."

Man, I'm going to be annoyed if they change it up too much.

Also, Kermit did Rainbow Connection, so there!

Tuesday's episode was awesome in several different ways, but that link above about a "reboot" scares me to death. Why? Look, bottom line is, people want it to be more like The Muppet Show, because they remember it fondly from their youths. So do I. But they've tried that once and it didn't work (Muppets Tonight).

It's like the WWE going back to Cena all the time - let the brand grow a little, try something new. For example, how cool is Uncle Deadly in this show? He was used to perfection Tuesday, and that's something we might not have seen if they hadn't taken a chance on something new.

Chances are they'd love to have something more YouTube/Twitter/Instagram whatever friendly, 'cause that's all entertainment is apparently about these days. Clicks, dammit!

"I don't present solutions, just dramatic problems."

I saw this episode as a response of sorts to the critics and haters of the show.  Kermit is clearly still Kermit.  

• Like 3

Anyone watch this week.  More good stuff from Uncle Deadly.  Scooter is definitely coming into his own as a character as well.  

Also, a fun little subversion of the documentary/sitcom interview style.  Kermit's doing a testimonial and it turns out he's been talking to Bobo the whole time, "Were you talking to me? I thought you were doing one of your little interview things."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure, but I think they might be phasing out the interview testimonials.  Seems they've been doing less of them.

Either way, glad we finally got a Gonzo episode this week.  Plus, an awesome drum battle between Dave Grohl and Animal.  

• 2 months later...

They're pushing a romance between Kermit and Piggy, and they're acting awfully chummy. Kermit's turned down his manipulating Piggy stuff. Thankfully there's still an emphasis on the whole cast, including the amazing, incredible Uncle Deadly - show's worth watching just for him.

They're doing more very short sketch stuff on Piggy's show in an attempt (I think) to go viral with some of the bits, but it's very light. The episode on 2-9 was probably the strongest show so far, so I'm quite a bit relieved.

• Like 1

I didn't even know they were back from the break, so I just now caught up with the last two episodes. Honestly, I don't see much difference. The biggest change instigated by the network cluelessly meddling with the show seems to be that it's now an ongoing subplot in the storyline that the network is cluelessly meddling with the show.

And, agreed that Uncle Deadly is the breakout star of this show. I'd never even heard of him before, he's a pretty obscure character; he was only in a tiny handful of original The Muppet Show episodes, his only appearances in the movies were mostly background cameos, and he never showed up on Muppet Babies or Sesame Street or any of the other side projects. But he absolutely kills it on the show, giving us a much-needed foil for Piggy who can actually manage her and put up with her shit.

Uncle Deadly is the best part of the show.  Unfortunately, this show is dead in the water at this point and if it gets a second season it will be a miracle.

IMHO there are a lot of fairweather Muppet fans that want to get all excited that this show got announced, but they didn't actually watch the show.

I think they did a fresh gag where it looked like Kermit was doing a testimonial and he was actually talking to like Bobo, and Bobo was like, "Were you talking to me?  I thought you were doing one of your little interviews."

But then in later episodes, they have still had the gimmick intact.  IMHO the lack of support this show received from fans was disappointing.  And then a bunch of millennial bloggers whining about how Kermit is cynical.

They have killed the "darkness." All the darkness was was Kermit trying to keep his show going by doing whatever it took to get Piggy in line. Basically, despite the interview format, this show has always been more "30 Rock" than "The Office." Kermit = Liz Lemon, Piggy = either Jenna or Tracy.

But all that's gone now, Kermit's back to being "yaaaaaaaay!" Kermit.

• Like 1

Speaking as a millenial, it's felt way more like Gen X'ers complaining about the show being too dark. All my friends have loved it. Then again, my wife's mom also genuinely didn't think it was terribly different from the previous Muppets stuff tonally. Maybe it's less a generational thing and more a sensibilities one.

I would agree with most of this.  Beforehand, the show never really came off as dark or really that different from what we usually get from the Muppets.  

Kermit being stressed out and going crazy over backstage drama seems consistent from what I remember of the original series and shows.