DVDVR Message Board

The Muppets TV Show

Dolfan in NYC

I think my main issue with this show is the writers think that showing what happens behind the scenes of a show with Muppets is something novel. It was done already, it was called The Muppet Show. They aren't re-inventing the wheel, they basically stole the wheel off a parked car and put it on an inferior car thinking it would make it run better

James

• Like 1

Some reviewer likened it to a tepid LARRY SANDERS SHOW ripoff, forcing Kermit into the Rip Torn role, which I completely agree with.

Thinking about it, t would have been 100x better if Kermit were the Larry analogue and Piggy was Artie.

*shrugs*

It's Grantland, their whole gimmick these days seems to be being "outraged" over one thing or another.  

Having a twitter meltdown b/c Selma didn't win Best Picture and Ava DuVernay wasn't even nominated is one thing, posting a manifesto-length attack on a puppet show you didn't like is a waste of processing power.

Bruce is shown drinking in a couple scenes early on.  I don't recall Miller actually making it clear Bruce was a full-blown alcoholic (as opposed to a social drinker) but that seems to be the general interpretation, and it plays in naturally to the "Bruce is embittered and has lost hope" motif.

I found Muppets pretty dull, personally.  The docu-reality approach seems forced.  Building the pilot around Real World-style confessionals about the breakup of the Kermit/Piggy relationship seemed really forced.  The slapstick comedy with Elizabeth Banks driving around the lot and the one muppet basically attacking her to keep her away from Miss Piggy made me wonder if Banks did something to piss off her agent.

• Like 1

Will watch this a little later. 3rd the love for Garfunkel & Oates wish they got a 2nd season on IFC.

It's only half of G&O, but I really liked Another Period, Riki Lindholme and Natasha Leggaro's Victorian upstairs/downstairs parody. The supporting cast is stellar, including Michael Ian Black and Christina Hendricks.

• Like 1

I agree with those that say this show lacks joy. It is fine on its own, but (admittedly based only on the pilot) no kids watching this show are going to walk away with a life time love of the Muppets.

We're not letting our kids watch it, so certainly not in our household. Granted, they've seen the first three seasons of the Muppet Show about two dozen times, so there is that.

This show is pretty much a puppet extension of 30 Rock with Kermit as Liz Lemon. I guess I can see the Larry Sanders comparisons too with Piggy as Larry, Kermit as Artie, and Fozzie as Hank Kingsley, but either way, it's for people who are adult Muppet fans from way back.

Personally, I think they should revive Muppet Babies and show it on the Disney Channel if they want to rope in a new generation of fans (which I don't think is the purpose of this ABC Muppet show).

Anyway, even if kids see this show and don't like it (and since it's out of their wheelhouse, they probably wouldn't), nothing can be worse than the garbage that was the Muppet Movie revival from a couple years back. If I didn't already love the Muppets, I would have never given them a chance after that. 

Yeah, that Jason Segal one. Awful, awful, awful movie. I never thought that I would dislike anything that involved the Muppets, much less dislike that strongly. But that's for another thread.  

I thought the first episode was good I just hope the show gets time to breath and find its voice before they cancel it. I also really like the Jason Segal Muppet movie it was a perfectly fine revive. I have yet to see the latest movie Muppet's Gone Wild.

I thought the first episode was good I just hope the show gets time to breath and find its voice before they cancel it. I also really like the Jason Segal Muppet movie it was a perfectly fine revive. I have yet to see the latest movie Muppet's Gone Wild.

I think it was "Muppets Most Wanted". Nobody flashed Muppet tits. Sadly.