DVDVR Message Board

The Muppets TV Show

Dolfan in NYC

I will definitely tune in and watch it.  I hope it doesn't get cancelled after a handful of episodes though.  That just seems to be par for the course for the Muppets.

I just hope the gimmick doesn't wear thin after a couple of episodes and if they can really keep the momentum going for these subplots across a whole season.

It will get canceled after 6-13 episodes, but I am SO pumped for this.

I lost it last night watching this when Kermit said "what can I say? I'm into pigs."

I did not understand the bad reviews for that second new Muppet movie at all. It was just fine. Probably the best song of the two (and the biggest Flight of the Conchords-esque song) in "Cockatoo in Malibu."

• Like 1

Not sure how I really feel about this.

The Muppets are more of a 'wink wink nudge nudge' type of humor that adults like and kids laugh at the silliness of it without realizing the jokes. But it isn't overly adult -- it's just right.

Having Kermit be a stand-in for Michael Scott and having Fozzy Bear exploring dating I think is a little too much and turns into a safe for TV Avenue Q. I would prefer for the Muppets to have it be like the original Muppet Show and be sort of an internet age variety show (get acts like Drake or Lana Del Rey or the like on there). Maybe that's what they are doing but the faux docu-comedy style is a bit old.

• Like 3

Why would Gonzo say, "Me too" though?  Does he also like pigs or Ms. Piggy?  Or is he just being weird?

Well, he is a weirdo...

From a storyline standpoint if Muppet Babies falls into the canon, wasn't Gonzo crushing on Piggy?  On the other time line, he was dating Henrietta Chicken wasn't he?

Why would Gonzo say, "Me too" though?  Does he also like pigs or Ms. Piggy?  Or is he just being weird?

Well, he is a weirdo...

From a storyline standpoint if Muppet Babies falls into the canon, wasn't Gonzo crushing on Piggy?  On the other time line, he was dating Henrietta Chicken wasn't he?

If Muppet Babies is canon, then this show better give me a fucking reason why Skeeter isn't around. 

• Like 1

If we are doing that bring Taxi back. Get Loyd, Devito and Danza and it will be a hit. Butthis Muppets show looks like it could be cool, letjust hope it goes for a few seasons atleast.

It was on for 5 years in 76 to 81. By that logic, Bob Backlund should still be WWWF Champion. Let's try bringing back other shows from the late 70s without changing anything and see how they fair.

I'm not saying keep the same jokes...obviously, update the jokes for today but there's something really charming about the Muppet Show that worked.

Maybe the new Muppets show is doing that -- I don't know. But based on what they showed as 'proof of concept,' I don't have a good feeling about it. It'll be on for a season or two and that's it. Or it'll find legs and be on for longer than that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One Million Moms is officially boycotting the new Muppets show.  

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/one-million-moms-muppets-petition/

The mature version of “The Muppets” will cover a range of topics from sex to drugs. Miss Piggy came out as a pro-choice feminist during an MSNBC interview. The puppet characters loved by kids in the 1970s and 1980s and beyond are now weighing in on abortion and promiscuity.

ABC hopes children watch the show and predict they would enjoy some of the humor, but 1MM would disagree. It is not the show it once was. ABC has ruined "The Muppets."

The show premieres tonight at 8!

Or instead of being outraged, they could, ya know, monitor what their kids watch and and shit. Not like there isn't a way to block specific shows on cable boxes these days.  Like, Parenting?

• Like 2