DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 7/23/15

victor

Dean Ambrose kicked off SmackDown with a promo in the ring and was put in a match.

* Sheamus defeated Dean Ambrose with a Brogue Kick. Ambrose was distracted by Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper on the big screen.

* JoJo interviewed Neville in the back but Stardust popped up on a screen behind them and started laughing.

* Neville defeated Adam Rose in a quick match.

* Stardust cut a backstage promo on Neville.

* A Sasha Banks vignette aired.

* King Barrett comes out to the ring for a promo on being The King.

* Rusev with Summer Rae defeated Kevin Owens by count out when Owens left.

* Owens interrupted a Cesaro interview backstage and they had words. Cesaro knocked Owens for walking out on matches.

* The Bella Twins defeated Sasha Banks and Naomi when Nikki Bella hit the Rack Attack on Naomi.

* Seth Rollins defeated Cesaro in the match of the night with a Pedigree. Owens came out after the match and attacked Cesaro, hitting him with a pop-up powerbomb. This appears to be where SmackDown ends.

I hate Owens' gimmick of walking out on matches when it starts getting tough.

So, instead of being a big, bad, ass kicker, Owens is a giant pussy?

Owens is an asskicker who will also be a real heel. I'm sure it'll be clear that Owens has had his reasons for walking away that he'll explain. Like all good heels do when they justify what they do.

So Cesaro has his breakthrough win last week, and they couldn't even go two shows without him getting pinned? Yeah it was to the world champ and I'm sure it was a good match with plenty of this is awesome chants, but how about let's let a guy build momentum for more than a week.

Sheamus had to get a win because he lost to Orton even though Harper could've used it more since he was basically a jobber post Wyatts. Bellas had to get a win because Brie lost, and if I didn't watch NXT and already know how good those girls are I wouldn't give a single shit about any of this. 50/50 booking with no interesting storylines nobody is ever going to get over like this.  

• Like 1

There's no reason that match needed to take place. A win over Cesaro does nothing for Rollins, and a loss to Rollins just reaffirms Cesaro isn't at the main event level. Owens/Cesaro will be yet another feud where neither guy can afford to take a loss because they've just got through getting their asses handed to them by Cena.

Owens is in danger of going to the Takeover main event ice cold looking like a jobber. It's getting to the point where he almost has to win that match despite it making no sense.

Rollins was just called out by Cena for not being man enough to defend the title. Rollins now beats the guy who just took Cena to the absolute limit in back-to-back MOTYCs (that the announcers are even labeling as such). That does a lot of Rollins as he heads into a feud with Cena. That's pretty easy to see.

Is there anything wrong with Cesaro's current spot? He has awesome matches with the top dogs but is just a step away from being able to beat them. He's higher up than he was a few weeks ago but isn't the champion yet. Rollins and Cena and Brock and Undertaker are the only guys clearly ahead of him in the food chain. Other than that, it's him/KO/Rusev/Orton/Sheamus all at the same level. No shame in that game.

Rollins was just called out by Cena for not being man enough to defend the title. Rollins now beats the guy who just took Cena to the absolute limit in back-to-back MOTYCs (that the announcers are even labeling as such). That does a lot of Rollins as he heads into a feud with Cena. That's pretty easy to see.

Yes, it's pretty easy to see why Rollins is getting this type of booking now.

Everybody takes Cena to the limit. Fucking Stardust, Zack Ryder, and Wade Barrett took him to the limit. I don't like Cesaro dropping a fall this early into his first real singles push. It's a little late in the game to be trying to give Rollins credibility if Cena is beating him at SS, and an extremely odd choice to give him that credibility by beating a guy just trying to get his legs under him as a singles wrestler.

Vince's philosophy has always been that bad workers need to be protected in booking or they won't get over, whereas good workers can job all over the place to everyone, because they can always get themselves back over (by having good matches).

Everybody takes Cena to the limit. Fucking Stardust, Zack Ryder, and Wade Barrett took him to the limit. I don't like Cesaro dropping a fall this early into his first real singles push. It's a little late in the game to be trying to give Rollins credibility if Cena is beating him at SS, and an extremely odd choice to give him that credibility by beating a guy just trying to get his legs under him as a singles wrestler.

None of those three took Cena to the limit. Owens & Cesaro were specifically sold as taking Cena to another level and forcing the best out of him to retain the US title.

Cesaro losing to the champ in a competitive match, then moved into a fued with Owens is hardly a stall in momentum.

I'll disagree. I he lose clean to Rollins, it's bad. Cause Rollins is an incredibly stoogey champ. He's the Miz right now. He's just of getting completely destroyed by Brock.

And Cesaro/Owens might be the biggest "neither man can afford to lose" feud ever. At least if Cena was involved (which I assumed was the plan) if some takes the belt off him clean it achieves something.

None of those three took Cena to the limit. Owens & Cesaro were specifically sold as taking Cena to another level and forcing the best out of him to retain the US title.

I distinctly remember while watching Cena vs Stardust that it was taking more effort for Cena to beat Stardust than it did to beat Rusev. I'm pretty sure Stardust kicked out of an AA while Rusev was pinned by the first one he took at Mania. Now did that match lead to a big push for Stardust? Well considering he was jobbing in a 3 minute match to R-Truth shortly after that I'd say not. If the idea of all those matches was to make R-Truth look strong then they did an awesome job.

That Ryder match should've been a dark match for the live fans not something that aired on tv with your top guy having a competitive match with the biggest loser on the roster. Unless they're going to push that loser after the match which of course they didn't. At this point you have to be Jumping Joey Maggs level of a jobber not to have a competitve hard fought match with Cena, and even then Maggs may get to kick out of an AA.

Cesaro pinning Rusev one week, and jobbing to Rollins the next is the exact reason why they have to bring in a crippled old man(possibly two if Sting works SS) to "save" the sagging ratings and lack of interest in their product. Dean Ambrose is one of the 3 most over faces on the roster, and he's had more new t-shirts in 2015 than wins.