DVDVR Message Board

Worst wrestling card you've attended

cwoy2j

I was racking my brain for a long time trying to remember a truly horrible show - I love the Sport of Kings and I can usually find SOMETHING on a show to make it worthwhile - when I suddenly remembered this one.

CZW 5th Anniversary Show

February 7, 2004, ECW Arena

I think that was the show where you called Rev Ray and I grabbed the phone and went on a tirade on how awful the show was (I recall begging God to end my suffering among other things). I also remember us chanting "save the show" at Maff and Homicide. I had totally forgotten about that show.

• Like 1

Oh God how could I forget the infamous Extreme Reunion show from 2012? Think that tops just about anything you can come up with. How bad was it? There was a sold out bus trip from NY (60 people), and the promotion offered comps to everyone on the bus to their next show which was in Queens. A grand total of four people (me included) took them up on the offer. The sad part is that show was real good, but only drew 160 people as the damage had been done.

Nashville, TN
June 20th, 1999
Gaylord Entertainment Center

Dark Match
Kurt Angle defeats Teddy Hart

Fatal Four-Way Elimination Match
Mr. Ass defeats Kane, Ken Shamrock & Big Show (8:20)

Fatal Four-Way Elimination Match
Chyna defeats Hardcore Holly, Road Dogg & X-Pac (5:51)

Singles Match
Chyna defeats Mr. Ass (1:46)

I'm still in disbelief that WWF routinely pulled in 10,000+ people to watch shitty cards like this every Sunday for Heat. And air it live on MTV, no less. I distinctly remember there being a Jakked/Metal taping before this, but I can't find any results for it. I was 10 years old when I went to this, though, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I know for sure Al Snow was there somewhere with Head, because I got in trouble for chanting "Give Him Head" to Debra when she stole it away from him. And an appearance by The Undertaker, where I had to go out in the hallway because Undertaker was the Devil to me at the time, I was scared of the dark, and Paul Bearer was the source of many nightmares for myself.

Ahhh, here we go:

featured Jim Ross conducting an in-ring interview with Triple H & Chyna in which Chyna spoke about her participation in the King of the Ring tournament and Triple H explained why he gave Chyna his spot in the KOTR by explaining he wanted the WWF World Title instead; Triple H then made a challenge to whomever the WWF Champion would be after the KOTR, regardless of if it was the Undertaker or the Rock; included JR conducting an in-ring interview with WWF World Champion the Undertaker, with Paul Bearer, regarding his upcoming title defense against the Rock at the KOTR as well as the recent challenge from Triple H; upon being asked about Triple H, Taker put a choke on JR for trying to start trouble; featured a backstage promo by D-Lo Brown & Mark Henry in which Henry challenged Viscera to a gorilla press slam challenge match for the following night on Raw

Still no Al Snow, though.

Hands down the worst show I ever attended. This is really close to Jimmy Trump's pick:

WWF @ Medicine Hat, Alberta - October 11, 1992

Repo Man defeated Jim Powers
Road Warrior Animal defeated Double Trouble in a handicap match
Nailz defeated the Big Bossman
Max Moon defeated Terry Taylor
Tatanka defeated the Mountie
WWF IC Champion Davey Boy Smith defeated Kamala

It's not listed but I also remember there being a High Energy match. I remember going home really disappointed and it bothered me for days since the WWF didn't roll through southern Alberta very often and I was looking forward to this show for months. God, 1992 WWF was awful

The second worst card I've gone to was an ECW house show in 1999. Most of the matches were actually decent and the crowd was into it until Dreamer and Corino did this painfully unfunny comedy sketch before a shitty match and the whole thing took about 45 minutes. Also, this was during the era where Bubba Ray Dudley would go on those insane cursing tirades to build all kinds of cheap heat. I remember he had this legit 6'8 mentally challenged guy try to jump the rail b/c he kept calling him a "retard". It took like 6 security guards to hold the guy back and Bubba kept getting up the railing and taunting the guy as security kept trying to get the guy back to his seat and calm him down. I'm not as down on The Attitude Era stuff as a lot of you all are but that sort of shit was just classless.

ECW @ Ft. Lauderdale, FL - War Memorial - April 30, 1999 (2,000)

Yoshihiro Tajiri defeated Little Guido

Super Crazy defeated El Mosco

ECW - 5/6/99: Jerry Lynn pinned Justin Credible (w/ Jason & Jazz) with a reversal into the cradle piledriver

Lance Storm defeated Nova

New Jack defeated Mustafa in a gangsta streetfight

Balls Mahoney defeated Rod Price

ECW Tag Team Champions Buh Buh Ray & D-Von Dudley defeated Danny Doring & Roadkill when Roadkill was pinned

Tommy Dreamer defeated Steve Corino in an old school match

ECW TV Champion Rob Van Dam defeated Spike Dudley

Roadkill got pinned.  That is total bullshit right there.

I am going blank on the ways that New Jack v. Mustafa in a lights out streetfight was on a card that sucked.

You haven't lived until you've sat through 45 minutes of Tommy Dreamer and Steve Corino trading "witty" verbal barbs while a bunch of neckbeards chant "show your tits" at Beulah McGillicutty.

I don't think I've been to a wrestling show that I've not enjoyed on some level. The worst was probably a Coventry Pro Wrestlng show earlier this year, but I feel bad saying that as it was a rookies academy show and it was priced accordingly.

I am discovering in this thread that you British guys really don't have a grasp of what real shitty wrestling is.

• Like 1

From historyofwwe

WWF @ St. John, New Brunswick - January 6, 2002 (2,008)

WWF Cruiserweight Champion Tajiri pinned Billy Kidman with a dropkick to the face

Lita pinned Molly Holly with a moonsault

Shawn Stasiak defeated Randy Orton

The Hurricane pinned Sho Funaki

The Big Show pinned Hugh Morrus with the chokeslam

WWF European Champion Christian pinned Rikishi after Test came ringside

Matt & Jeff Hardy defeated Steven Richards & Tommy Dreamer

WWF IC Champion Edge pinned Val Venis following the DDT

Rob Van Dam pinned Test after Rikishi interfered

It was the first time they had been in town since November 1996 & it was the absolute drizzling shits. The guys were working like they gave zero shits & no one really was perceived as a star.

I am discovering in this thread that you British guys really don't have a grasp of what real shitty wrestling is.

• Like 3

I don't think I've been to a wrestling show that I've not enjoyed on some level. The worst was probably a Coventry Pro Wrestlng show earlier this year, but I feel bad saying that as it was a rookies academy show and it was priced accordingly.

Meh, can't really help it if the worst card I've been to isn't that bad in all reality.

Guess it depends on how many pro wrestling shows people have been to see - added to that with the size and number of promotions running in places like North America, you probably have to go some way to find really awful wrestling in the UK as companies just wouldn't be able to run at all with that level of suck.

• Like 1

WWF @ Franklin, PA - December 27, 1994
Nikolai Volkoff pinned Bob Starr (sub for 1-2-3 Kid)
Duke Drose defeated Kwang

The Bushwhackers defeated Steven Dunn & Barry Horowitz (sub for Timothy Well)

The New Headshrinkers defeated the Executioners (Horowitz & Dunn under masks)
Henry Godwinn defeated Bob Holly
WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon defeated Jeff Jarrett (exact same "Jarrett wins by countout, demands the match is restarted and immediately gets pinned" finish they did at about 20 differnet house shows)

This was one of those fundraiser C-shows that WWF did back in 1993-1995 to try and clean up their image after the steroid trials.  Remember when WWF would run those promos every week on Superstars/Wrestling Challenge telling people to call in if they needed help promotoing their charity?

Franklin is a very, very, very small town in east Pennsylvania, and it was very surreal seeing a WWF show in a high school gym instead of a big arena.  Just an awful show where none of the workers wanted to be there and were just going through the motions,   Only Horowitz, the Bushwhackers, and Jarrett, guys who came up in the territory system, made any real effort to engage the crowd and try to put on a decent show.

August 16, 1999 - RAW in Milwaukee: Triple H segment (HHH challenged Chyna to a match for the Summerslam title shot), Roaddog def Al Snow, Undertaker/Big Show segment (Chris Jericho interrupted The Undertaker's speech. Y2J said he was there to save the WWF.), Chyna def Triple H to retain her #1 Contendership with help from Mankind (Mankind then asked Chyna for a match for the title shot. Chyna refused. Commissioner Shawn Michaels came out and made the match!), Test def Steve Blackman by DQ when Kan Shamrock interfered (Blackman used a kendo stick on Shamrock. Shane McMahon grabbed the kendo stick and repeatedly whacked Test in the ribs!), Steve Austin interview (Said he'll get revenge on whoever attacked him last week!), Kane & X-Pac def The Acolytes (Bradshaw & Farooq) to retain the Tag Team titles, Announcement (British Bulldog returning to WWF), Hardcore Holly introduced Crash Holly (They ended up fighting eachother all over the arena for the rest of the show.), Mankind def Chyna to become #1 Contender, Billy Gunn segment (Complained about having a rash on his ass, but promised to make Rock's face look worse than his ass at Summerslam. The Rock came out and introduced the woman who massaged Gunn's ass earlier with poison ivy. Billy Gunn used a kendo stick on The Rock and rubbed Rock's face on his ass!), Triple H vs Mankind ended in a Double Pinfall draw with Shawn Michaels & Shane McMahon as referees (Thus they are BOTH #1 Contender, setting up a 3-WAY for Summerslam)..

Hooray for 2 Chyna matches (and therefore hearing her theme 3 times). AND, the debut of...Crash Holly...

August 16, 1999 - RAW in Milwaukee: Triple H segment (HHH challenged Chyna to a match for the Summerslam title shot), Roaddog def Al Snow, Undertaker/Big Show segment (Chris Jericho interrupted The Undertaker's speech. Y2J said he was there to save the WWF.), Chyna def Triple H to retain her #1 Contendership with help from Mankind (Mankind then asked Chyna for a match for the title shot. Chyna refused. Commissioner Shawn Michaels came out and made the match!), Test def Steve Blackman by DQ when Kan Shamrock interfered (Blackman used a kendo stick on Shamrock. Shane McMahon grabbed the kendo stick and repeatedly whacked Test in the ribs!), Steve Austin interview (Said he'll get revenge on whoever attacked him last week!), Kane & X-Pac def The Acolytes (Bradshaw & Farooq) to retain the Tag Team titles, Announcement (British Bulldog returning to WWF), Hardcore Holly introduced Crash Holly (They ended up fighting eachother all over the arena for the rest of the show.), Mankind def Chyna to become #1 Contender, Billy Gunn segment (Complained about having a rash on his ass, but promised to make Rock's face look worse than his ass at Summerslam. The Rock came out and introduced the woman who massaged Gunn's ass earlier with poison ivy. Billy Gunn used a kendo stick on The Rock and rubbed Rock's face on his ass!), Triple H vs Mankind ended in a Double Pinfall draw with Shawn Michaels & Shane McMahon as referees (Thus they are BOTH #1 Contender, setting up a 3-WAY for Summerslam)..

Hooray for 2 Chyna matches (and therefore hearing her theme 3 times). AND, the debut of...Crash Holly...

Wasn't her theme just "My Time" at that point? I don't think she got her own theme until the Jarrett feud. 

Wasn't her theme just "My Time" at that point? I don't think she got her own theme until the Jarrett feud. 

I think she got her awful theme the night after she won the IC title.  Damn my brain for retaining that fact while letting so many more important ones go unremembered.

Cassidy was Steve Armstrong & Double Trouble were The Undertakers.

Can anyone confirm the story that The Undertakers threatened to sue Vince when The Undertaker debuted (because they used the name first, even though the gimmick was nothing like UT whatsoever) but Vince countered with WWF jobs if they dropped the suit, then proceeded to only put them on house shows and then dumped them after six months?

Cassidy was Steve Armstrong & Double Trouble were The Undertakers.

Can anyone confirm the story that The Undertakers threatened to sue Vince when The Undertaker debuted (because they used the name first, even though the gimmick was nothing like UT whatsoever) but Vince countered with WWF jobs if they dropped the suit, then proceeded to only put them on house shows and then dumped them after six months?

More or less true.  I've heard that The Undertakers threatened to sue and Vince gave them WWF jobs in exchange for the rights to the name.  I've also heard that WWF approached them about acquiring the rights to the name, probably to head off future lawsuits.  It wasn't unprecedented.  Vince did it a few other times.  Back when they briefly tried to nickname UT "The Last Outlaw", there was an indy guy named Ron Price who called himself "The Last Outlaw" and had copyrighted the name.  Apparently, Vince wanted to buy the name outright, but the guy refused and instead agreed to a developmental deal.

(The really funny part of the Ron Price deal is that he was sent to FCW for about three months, then released without ever making TV.  Supposedly, his pay for three months in FCW was a fraction of what the WWE offered to buy the name outright.  Oh, and they called UT "The Last Outlaw" for about one PPV cycle and make one shirt with that nickname.)

Just read the Ron Price story last night. That's some Sophies Choice shit right there, go for developmental or 30,000 cash just for having the foresight to copyright a pretty basic nickname. I tell myself I would've taken the 30k, but then the pro wrestling dream does strange things to your judgement.

WWF @ Franklin, PA - December 27, 1994

Nikolai Volkoff pinned Bob Starr (sub for 1-2-3 Kid)

Duke Drose defeated Kwang

The Bushwhackers defeated Steven Dunn & Barry Horowitz (sub for Timothy Well)

The New Headshrinkers defeated the Executioners (Horowitz & Dunn under masks)

Henry Godwinn defeated Bob Holly

WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon defeated Jeff Jarrett (exact same "Jarrett wins by countout, demands the match is restarted and immediately gets pinned" finish they did at about 20 differnet house shows)

This was one of those fundraiser C-shows that WWF did back in 1993-1995 to try and clean up their image after the steroid trials.  Remember when WWF would run those promos every week on Superstars/Wrestling Challenge telling people to call in if they needed help promotoing their charity?

Franklin is a very, very, very small town in east Pennsylvania, and it was very surreal seeing a WWF show in a high school gym instead of a big arena.  Just an awful show where none of the workers wanted to be there and were just going through the motions,   Only Horowitz, the Bushwhackers, and Jarrett, guys who came up in the territory system, made any real effort to engage the crowd and try to put on a decent show.

You got a double dose of Barry Horowitz and Steven Dunn. How was this a bad show?

WCW's New Blood Rising. Garbage from start to finish.

How did the "improvised finish" match play out live? It was stupid and confusing with the announcers trying to explain it.

Odd, I don't remember that being a King of the Mountain match....