DVDVR Message Board

Worst wrestling card you've attended

cwoy2j

Even though I have been to shows that are clearly bad, I think I've always had at least a little fun. I think some of the Cleveland indy shows from the mid 2000s were probably really objectively bad. I remember a big outdoor one that Cleveland All Pro Wrestling did. It was a shame because they brought in some really good workers but something must have happened because no one gave even close to a fuck. Here is what I remember:

The main event was Blue Meanie vs. Jason Bane in a hardcore match where they were basically both working heel. A really young Ray Rowe ended up interfering.

The semi main was a Jimmy Snuka vs. Tommy Rich match that was horrific. It ended with a double count out.

There was a horrific Doink vs. Lord Zoltan match. Zoltan was basically Baron Von Raschke with corpse paint which actually sounds awesome as I'm typing it but was terrible.

Nigel McGuinness worked Matt Cross, but the ring was tiny so he couldn't set up the rebound lariat at all. He also arrived super late to the show so he did not know this prior to walking out and seeing the ring. Matt Cross was terrible then, and is terrible now.

Rick Steiner wrestled Buff Bagwell right before intermission. They finished there match and both stayed in the ring and got on the mic and said there would now be an intermission, but they were going to stay out in the ring if you wanted to come up and get your polaroid with either or both for $20. Intermission ended when there wasn't a line. Part of me thinks this was not the planned intermission.   

Also, not related to the show at all, but there was a dude there who legit looked like comic book guy from the Simpsons but was walking around wearing the John Cena US Title around his waist. My friend pointed him out and I started laughing (which was rude, I'll admit) and he heard and walked over to us and tried to fight us. When I wouldn't fight him and told him to leave us alone, he called me a mark. 

The worst non-indy show I went to was probably a WCW house show in Spokane in June 2000.

Shannon Moore & Shane Helms defeated Yang & Kaz Hayashi
WCW TV Champion Jim Duggan defeated Fit Finlay
Gen. Rection & Van Hammer defeated Big T & Stevie Ray and Ron & Don Harris
David Flair defeated Crowbar
WCW Hardcore Champion Big Vito defeated Johnny the Bull
The Wall defeated Shane Douglas in a tables match
WCW Tag Team Champions Shawn Stasiak & Chuck Palumbo defeated Kronik
WCW US Champion Scott Steiner defeated Tank Abbott
WCW World Champion Jeff Jarrett defeated Kevin Nash via disqualification

The only serviceable match was the opener. 

The only pop of the night was for The Wall dropping the name of the town.

Main event was a Dusty Finish with a bumped referee and a lot of fans around me saying they'd never bother with WCW again.  They wouldn't have long to bother.  WCW never ran Spokane again and was dead less than a year later.

The Raws I've been to in Vancouver and Tacoma were pretty bleh, too, but I give a bit of a pass to TV tapings - they're not done for the live crowds.  I got into a Tacoma Raw as a seat filler and never actually got called to move anywhere - and the seat filler seats were better than most of the others in the building.

I've been to 3 Raw's 4 Smackdowns one of which included an ECW taping 2 Wrestlemania's Over The Limit 2011 an ROH show and two small indie shows. I was super hammered at Over The Limit but I think it wasnt a very good show I really can't remember cuz I drank too much. I have since stopped drinking. I plan on going to Raw in Everett on August 10th. Sweetser idk if you are gonna be there or not.

I was racking my brain for a long time trying to remember a truly horrible show - I love the Sport of Kings and I can usually find SOMETHING on a show to make it worthwhile - when I suddenly remembered this one.

CZW 5th Anniversary Show

February 7, 2004, ECW Arena

4-Way Match: Scotty Matthews defeated The Bounty Hunter and DJ Hyde and Jon Dahmer
3-Way Elimination Match: Dirty Rotten Scoundrelz (EC Negro and KC Blade) defeated CKNY (Cory Kastle and Niles Young); All Money is Legal (K-Murda and K-Pusha)
Mercedes Martínez defeated Sumie Sakai
CZW Tag Team Titles Match: Z-Barr and Nick Berk defeated Blackball'd (The Rockin' Rebel and Greg Matthews) © by disqualification
3-Way Match - CZW Iron Man Title Match: Jimmy Rave © defeated Jimmy Jacobs and Joey Ryan
CZW Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Sonjay Dutt © defeated Grim Reefer
The BLKOUT (Ruckus and Sabian) defeated Joker and Chri$ Ca$h
CZW Xtreme Strong Style Tournament, Round #1: B-Boy defeated Excalibur
H8 Club (Nick Gage and Nate Hatred) defeated Homicide and Dan Maff
Fans bring the Weapons Match: Mad Man Pondo vs. Necro Butcher ended without a winner
3-Way Elimination Match: New Jack defeated Mad Man Pondo and Necro Butcher

You'd think a show with that kind of lineup couldn't possibly be that bad. You'd be wrong. I think Excalibur/B-Boy was the only match that wasn't bad or horribly disappointing at the time I saw it- maybe it'd come off better if I rewatched it but good fucking lord that show stunk on ice live.

• Like 1

Went to a NWS show in Jersey where they advertised an Oddity reunion with Giant Silva and Golga.

Golga was black.

Also sat through a four hour Nitro/Thunder taping in 2001 that was pretty rough. Started in the 200 section, moved down to fourth row by the end of the show.

• Like 1

Brother, I'm from southern Alabama. All we do down here is bad wrestling.

This clip is from a promotion than ran in an old train depot every week for a few years called Lower Alabama Wrestling. I attended, like, two summers of their shows when I was home from school and even managed to ring announce for them for a while. I was instantly the largest guy in the "promotion." All the cards had, like, five matches on them and would run for 3 or more hours.

Dothan, AL has a great wrestling history, but the southern Alabama indy scene is basically dead.

• Like 1

While not the worst card I've been to top-to-bottom, I was at the Raw where Jim Ross introduced Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon.  I still remember walking back to my car thinking the WWF was done.

Also on the card:  Hunter Hearst Helmsley having to redo a promo because he messed it up so badly the first time, Jerry Lawler spitting alcohol at Jake Roberts, and the "Real Double J" introduction (not in person, though).

Are you sure about the last two items?  I was there also, and I don't think those were at the same card.

I went to a few bad FCW shows back in the day headlined by guys like Lucky Cannon and Alex Riley that drew about 50 fans.  The only one that I could think of is the infamous FIP Evolve 42 show that took place in April

FIP

1. Deimos w/MSL def. Arik Royal, Curt Stallion, Mike Outlaw & Nick Richards

2. Rhett Giddons, Bolt Brady & Jeff Boom def. The MSL Universe w/MSL

3. Jody Kristofferson def. Jack Gallows w/Tommy Thomas

4. Sideshow & CJ O'Doyle def. The Trailer Park Nation

5. Rich Swann def. FIP Champion Roderick Strong to win the title.

6. FIP Tag Team Champions Savages w/Trina Michaels def. Jason Cade & Lince Dorado (subbing for Aaron Solow) to retain the titles.

7. FIP Florida Heritage Champion Maxwell Chicago def. Aaron Epic by DQ

8. Blake Edward Belakus def. Jonny Vandal w/Trina Michaels in a Dog Collar Match.

EVOLVE

1. SHINE Champion Santana def. Andrea w/SoCal Val & Su Yung to retain the title.

2. Ethan Page def. Martin Stone

3. Rey Horus def. Andrew Everett

4. Timothy Thatcher def. TJ Perkins

5. Biff Busick def. Roderick Strong

6. Davey Richards def. Trevor Lee

7. RONIN def. DGUSA Tag Team Champions The Premier Athlete Brand w/SoCal Val & Andrea in a Street Fight to win the titles.

The FIP show was just atrocious. It drew about 50-75 fans and and both shows together were almost 5 hours long. The Highlight of the FIP show was Trina doing HLA with some chick and seeing the CWF guys. That main event was awful. The Evolve show wasn't bad but the owners of the building shut off the internet so Gabe had to call a 1+ hour intermission to get it working again. Got a free DVD out of that.

I don't remember the full card, but I know the two main matches with the biggest names were Shawn Michaels vs. Bob Backlund for the IC title and the main event was Big Boss Man vs. Nailz in a cage match. I believe a Koko B Ware vs Tim Horner match and Tatanka vs. Repo Man match also helped fill out the card.

Sounds like a house show I went to in Nov. 1992...

WWF @ Auburn Hills, MI - Palace - November 20, 1992 (2,500)

Max Moon defeated Terry Taylor at 15:15

WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS defeated the Natural Disasters when IRS pinned Earthquake at 10:46

Lance Cassidy pinned Skinner at 8:22

Razor Ramon defeated Randy Savage via count-out at 8:57

Owen Hart & Koko B. Ware defeated Barry Horowitz & Bob Bradley at 14:18

Tatanka pinned Repo Man at 8:29

Bob Backlund defeated WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels via count-out at 15:44

Nailz pinned the Big Bossman in a steel cage match at 8:39

4819_1116976498277_5379731_n.jpg?oh=e8d6

4819_1116976378274_1754711_n.jpg?oh=9710

4819_1116976418275_2519562_n.jpg?oh=d9e3

4819_1116977818310_2373315_n.jpg?oh=43b1

4819_1116976618280_5239415_n.jpg?oh=9abb

4819_1116977138293_5570610_n.jpg?oh=1082

4819_1116976458276_1748008_n.jpg?oh=a58d

4819_1116977738308_3525957_n.jpg?oh=2f46

4819_1116977098292_8168590_n.jpg?oh=f344

While not the worst card I've been to top-to-bottom, I was at the Raw where Jim Ross introduced Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon.  I still remember walking back to my car thinking the WWF was done.

Also on the card:  Hunter Hearst Helmsley having to redo a promo because he messed it up so badly the first time, Jerry Lawler spitting alcohol at Jake Roberts, and the "Real Double J" introduction (not in person, though).

Are you sure about the last two items?  I was there also, and I don't think those were at the same card.

I only remember the Real Double J stuff because I could see the announcer's monitors from my seat.  I don't recall anything being mentioned about him at the arena.  As far as the alcohol bit, this is from the history of WWE...I don't remember the Undertaker-Mankind match myself.  Do you?

WWF @ Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Arena - September 23, 1996 (3,923)

Monday Night Raw taping:

Salvatore Sincere pinned Tom Casadi (Steve Corino) with the Sincerely Yours

Matt Hardy defeated Jason Ahrndt

The Undertaker defeated Mankind in 4 minutes with the tombstone

9/23/96:

WWF IC Championship Title Tournament Finals: Marc Mero (w/ Sable) pinned Farooq (w/ Sunny) with the Shooting Star Press to win the vacant title at 14:50 after hitting him with Sunny's loaded purse; during the bout, Sunny was ejected from ringisde after choking Mero on the mat but returned ringside late in the match to give Farooq the weapon; after the match, Mero was congratulated in the ring by Mr. Perfect, who did commentary for the bout, and it was revealed that a brick was hidden in the purse; Pat Patterson was the referee for the contest (Sunny)

Vader pinned Henry Godwinn with the moonsault 

WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith defeated Skip & Zip after Hart locked on the Sharpshooter; during the bout, ECW's Taz briefly interrupted the contest by walking around the arena floor with a sign that read "Sabu Fears Taz"

Barry Windham pinned Hunter Hearst Helmsley with the superlex after Helmsley became distracted by Mr. Perfect at ringside

9/30/96 - featured a vignette of Mankind & Paul Bearer in a graveyard preparing for Mankind's Buried Alive match against the Undertaker; included an in-ring promo by Hunter Hearst Helmsley in which he challenged Mr. Perfect to a match; featured a segment hosted by Dok Hendrix in which it was revealed the Roadie was the "Real Double J" and sang on behalf of Jeff Jarrett at the July 1995 In Your House; included a vignette of the Undertaker in the same graveyard Mankind & Bearer were at earlier, with Taker saying he would bury Mankind alive; featured the announcement Psycho Sid would face Goldust the following week:

Steve Austin pinned Jake Roberts with the Stunner at around the 10-minute mark after Jerry Lawler left the commentary table and spat alcohol in Roberts' face moments after Roberts hit the DDT on Austin; during the bout, it was announced Austin would face Savio Vega at In Your House "Buried Alive" and Ross said he had recently spoken to Bret Hart who was upset over some of the recent comments made by Austin; after the match, Austin and Lawler double teamed Roberts until Savio Vega made the save with a leather strap

I definitely don't remember that Mankind/UT match.  I remember running outside to the smoking area of the arena, calling my friends right after J.R. introduced "Diesel" and "Razor" to if the real ones showed up on Nitro.  And reading the results of the Austin/Roberts match, I remember seeing on tv, but not at the arena.  I'm getting old...

I don't remember the full card, but I know the two main matches with the biggest names were Shawn Michaels vs. Bob Backlund for the IC title and the main event was Big Boss Man vs. Nailz in a cage match. I believe a Koko B Ware vs Tim Horner match and Tatanka vs. Repo Man match also helped fill out the card.

WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS defeated the Natural Disasters when IRS pinned Earthquake at 10:46

Poor Terry Taylor having to wrestle Konnan for 15 excruciating minutes. Was he still the Red Rooster then? That would just be insult to injury. 

Watched the Midlothian match and that was priceless for Dean and Tim MST3King it the whole time. Maffew should put that whole thing up as a singular episode of Botchamania sometime.

Poor Terry Taylor having to wrestle Konnan for 15 excruciating minutes. Was he still the Red Rooster then? That would just be insult to injury. 

Max Moon was Paul Diamond by then. Taylor was probably "Terrific" Terry Taylor.

I went to an All-Star show in like '94, when it was very much a World of Sport nostalgia show. The main event was Robbie Brookside and Doc Dean vs two veteran guys from the 70s (as in, they were veterans in the 70s) and it was not good. It was like watching an Abdullah the Butcher match only with side headlocks instead of any bleeding or violence. The Liverpool Lads trying to beat themselves up against a couple of statues.

Can't remember the rest of the card, except the Reslin Ranger* beat Japan's Mean Machine**.

* Formerly known as Power Ranger, changed to the Wrestling Ranger for copyright reasons. Then changed to Reslin Ranger for other copyright reasons.

** Satoshi Kojima, doing the NJPW young boy world tour thing.

It was also the first wrestling match I ever attended-

Monday Night Raw, December 27, 1999 from Greensboro, NC-

There were a few dark matches featuring Tracy Smothers, Essa Rios (before Lita debuted with him), and Steve Bradley (who was being touted as the next big thing).  I was really looking forward to this as after being a fan for almost a decade I was finally going to see wrestling live, and man this was like the worst bits of the attitude era. 

I was thinking that exact same Greensboro Raw is probably the worst for me too.

The second worst card I've gone to was an ECW house show in 1999. Most of the matches were actually decent and the crowd was into it until Dreamer and Corino did this painfully unfunny comedy sketch before a shitty match and the whole thing took about 45 minutes. Also, this was during the era where Bubba Ray Dudley would go on those insane cursing tirades to build all kinds of cheap heat. I remember he had this legit 6'8 mentally challenged guy try to jump the rail b/c he kept calling him a "retard". It took like 6 security guards to hold the guy back and Bubba kept getting up the railing and taunting the guy as security kept trying to get the guy back to his seat and calm him down. I'm not as down on The Attitude Era stuff as a lot of you all are but that sort of shit was just classless.

ECW @ Ft. Lauderdale, FL - War Memorial - April 30, 1999 (2,000)
Yoshihiro Tajiri defeated Little Guido
Super Crazy defeated El Mosco
ECW - 5/6/99: Jerry Lynn pinned Justin Credible (w/ Jason & Jazz) with a reversal into the cradle piledriver
Lance Storm defeated Nova
New Jack defeated Mustafa in a gangsta streetfight
Balls Mahoney defeated Rod Price
ECW Tag Team Champions Buh Buh Ray & D-Von Dudley defeated Danny Doring & Roadkill when Roadkill was pinned
Tommy Dreamer defeated Steve Corino in an old school match
ECW TV Champion Rob Van Dam defeated Spike Dudle
y

The second worst card I've gone to was an ECW house show in 1999. Most of the matches were actually decent and the crowd was into it until Dreamer and Corino did this painfully unfunny comedy sketch before a shitty match and the whole thing took about 45 minutes. Also, this was during the era where Bubba Ray Dudley would go on those insane cursing tirades to build all kinds of cheap heat. I remember he had this legit 6'8 mentally challenged guy try to jump the rail b/c he kept calling him a "retard". It took like 6 security guards to hold the guy back and Bubba kept getting up the railing and taunting the guy as security kept trying to get the guy back to his seat and calm him down. I'm not as down on The Attitude Era stuff as a lot of you all are but that sort of shit was just classless.

ECW @ Ft. Lauderdale, FL - War Memorial - April 30, 1999 (2,000)

Yoshihiro Tajiri defeated Little Guido

Super Crazy defeated El Mosco

ECW - 5/6/99: Jerry Lynn pinned Justin Credible (w/ Jason & Jazz) with a reversal into the cradle piledriver

Lance Storm defeated Nova

New Jack defeated Mustafa in a gangsta streetfight

Balls Mahoney defeated Rod Price

ECW Tag Team Champions Buh Buh Ray & D-Von Dudley defeated Danny Doring & Roadkill when Roadkill was pinned

Tommy Dreamer defeated Steve Corino in an old school match

ECW TV Champion Rob Van Dam defeated Spike Dudley

Roadkill got pinned.  That is total bullshit right there.

I am going blank on the ways that New Jack v. Mustafa in a lights out streetfight was on a card that sucked.