DVDVR Message Board

Worst wrestling card you've attended

cwoy2j

I don't remember the full card, but I know the two main matches with the biggest names were Shawn Michaels vs. Bob Backlund for the IC title and the main event was Big Boss Man vs. Nailz in a cage match. I believe a Koko B Ware vs Tim Horner match and Tatanka vs. Repo Man match also helped fill out the card.

I also saw a show headlined by Boss Man vs Nailz in the cage.  I at least got Headshrinkers vs High Energy out of the deal.

I went to an indie show in Milwaukee, Oregon about three years back that I could have sworn was being booked as the show went on. Not bad per say just very unorganized.

I know who you're talking about, and it wasn't, believe it or not.  They're just really shitty bookers.

• Like 2

Wasn't there an indy show with a bunch of ECW guys and after a few matches, they stopped the show and Axl Rotten came out and announced that the promoter had fled and stiffed everyone on pay, and they passed around a hat to collect money for the workers?

I was going to go that in Northern Virginia but my wife's water broke as I was walking out the door.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I went to this.

I drive past the school where that was held about once a week, and I can't help but think about Big Guy Pat and LL Cool.

Wasn't there an indy show with a bunch of ECW guys and after a few matches, they stopped the show and Axl Rotten came out and announced that the promoter had fled and stiffed everyone on pay, and they passed around a hat to collect money for the workers?

I was going to go that in Northern Virginia but my wife's water broke as I was walking out the door.

Disgusting.  You gotta think of the business, kid.

• Like 1

Which young'n was that?

Which young'n was that?

My oldest. It was 18 years ago.

This is the worst show I ever went to, and keep in mind, I once went to a WWF C show headlined by Brutus Beefcake vs. Hercules:

WCW @ Oklahoma City, OK - Myriad - October 3, 1999 (6,701)
Danny Hodge made an appearance at the show
Prince Iaukea defeated Evan Karagias
Silver King & El Dandy defeated Villano IV & V
Perry Saturn defeated Jerry Flynn via disqualification
Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, & Perry Saturn defeated Brian Knobbs, Jerry Flynn, & Hugh Morrus
Buff Bagwell defeated Berlyn via disqualification
WCW Tag Team Champions Harlem Heat defeated Kendall Windham & Curly Bill
Bill Goldberg defeated WCW US Champion Sid Vicious via disqualification when Rick Steiner interfered

The 6-man was really good mostly due to Jimmy Hart selling the shit out of it to the point that you almost thought his team had a chance, but everything else was just so phoned in.  Even the main event went barely five minutes and the crowd knew what was up the second Steiner appeared.

I didn't even want to go the show, WCW was starting to die at that point, but my friend talked me into it.  And even with my lowered expectations, it was a lame show.

I would call the 11/26/01 RAW the worst show ever because the "Undertaker making Jim Ross kiss Vince McMahon's ass" angle pretty much killed future OKC shows (there wasn't even a go-home-happy dark match, THAT was IT), but that show made me go from getting shit seats the day tickets went on sale to third row (and front row later) in a single TV taping.  (Plus I got to see a 24 year old Brock Lesnar in the dark match.)

Been to a few bad shows.

The best known one was the Heroes of Wrestling PPV. I was on the coast visiting my family. Found out about the show so took my then late 70s grandmother.

But the worst,and only 80 people saw this.

Last Rites Championship Wrestling August 2012

Show started an hour late. In one corner of the ring under the mat instead of the normal padding they had a dirty wadded up quilt. They forgot the secure the mat down. So during the first match,an 20 man battle royal,the ring crew had to run out and squat by the ring trying to hold the mat down.

By 10pm the third match started and at least 40 people left. By quarter to midnight there was maybe 20 people left. The main event started with the face coming out and "whispering" to the heel,while standing 10 foot from the ring with the heel in the ring "THE OWNERS WANT US OUT OF HERE BY QUARTER AFTER SO GO HOME QUICK!"

The 20 people left heard him say this so for the entire 10 minute match chanted "GO HOME GO HOME". The face wins then proceeds to cut a 20 minute promo about how in a month Last Rites would be back in town.

They never came back.

• Like 2

Not to speak ill of the deceased, but my first Cyberspace Wrestling show as a ringside photographer (I wanna say...summer '03?) was pretty dire.

First of all, they held it in a hockey rink in Rahway, NJ, and had to haul out huge fans just to circulate the air a bit. There were, at most, 60 people in the entire audience.

Then the card included a Steve Austin knockoff, a Rock knockoff, and a Tommy Dreamer knockoff.

Then the planned 4-way women's match had to be hastily rebooked when Mickie James (still "Alexis Laree" at that point) and Simply Luscious walked out...after the promoter had made a not-subtle-at-ALL reference to Mickie's LEG SHOW photos in the locker room.  (I was there.  But I didn't find out about the pix until much later...)

So yeah, not a fun night on the indies.

Smackdown, November 4th 2004

Kurt Angle defeats Random jobber in 27 seconds.

Kurt Angle defeats another random jobber in 43 seconds.

Booker T defeats Orlando Jordan in 2:27 via DQ

Mysterio & RVD beat Reigns and Jindrak in 15 minutes

Booker T & Josh Mathews defeat JBL & Orlando Jordan in 7 minutes.

I wanted to go to see Eddie. He worked a match against Doug Basham on Velocity. Best part of the show. Doesn't say much.

Smackdown, November 4th 2004

Kurt Angle defeats Random jobber in 27 seconds.

Kurt Angle defeats another random jobber in 43 seconds.

Booker T defeats Orlando Jordan in 2:27 via DQ

Mysterio & RVD beat Reigns and Jindrak in 15 minutes

Booker T & Josh Mathews defeat JBL & Orlando Jordan in 7 minutes.

I wanted to go to see Eddie. He worked a match against Doug Basham on Velocity. Best part of the show. Doesn't say much.

DUDE.  DANIEL PUDER.  Could have changed teh biz.

Josh was one of the most entertaining parts of that show.  Got a tag, hit a couple of moves, then saw they had near-zero effect and ran to tag back out.

Was also at a STL Smackdown taping headlined by A-Train vs. Stephanie.

Finger Poke Of Doom.

I really hate the angle but that's not even what really pisses me off.  It's blatantly false advertising a WHC rematch and then delivering that angle.

Also, when Nash tries to excuse it because it aired on free TV.  I paid like $50 for tickets.  I had great seats too.  Perfect sight lines to the ring.  Too bad there was a show-long angle aired on screens hanging above the ring and the audio was garbage.  I don't think I knew what the thing with Goldberg, Liz, and the cops was about until years later.

I don't remember if any of the matches were any good.  I know I saw Benoit vs. Horace Hogan and Booker vs. Emory Hale.  Waitaminute, dawg!  Whut da Hale!?!

People watch this now and try to say it's great because of the heat because they think garbage equals heat.  Those were legit angry customers.  I saw people ripping up their Wolf Pac shirts and throwing them away and vowing to never come back.  WCW actually managed to kill their home base that night.

Also, it was like -4 degrees that night.  Icy, cold.  Just miserable.

• Like 2

If we're talking about indy shows, I once worked a show  in front of a paying audience of 8 people.

UIWA 8-6-00 from the Bernard Milken Jewish Center

XTC & The Vigilante def. Chachi Sanchez & Furious George

Malice def. Logan X

The Prototype (John Cena) def. Staz and Uncle Jess Hansen in a 3 way.

Foob Dog def. Samoa Joe 

Mace def. Jason Allgood

N2X def. The Suicide Blondes

The Ballard Brothers def. Crayz & Al Katrazz

Cincinatti Red def. Brooklyn Thrill Kill.

The one benefit from the show is that it got the UIWA shows into the JCCs. which later became the home to MPW.

I guess this would be it, considering I've not been to many.

1. UK Pitbulls, Skull Murphy & Thunder vs. Castano Brothers, Flatliner, Paul Tyrell & Adam Angel

2. Drew McDonald vs. Horace Hogan

3. Doug Williams vs. Kerry Cabrero

4. Mark Sloan, James Tighe & Andy Simmons vs. Paul Travell, Jack Xavier & Raj Ghosh

5. Robbie Brookside vs. Guy Thunder

6. Earthquake & Justin Starr vs. Flash Barker & Klondyke Kate

7. Steve Corino vs. Sandman

8. Skull Murphy vs. Tiger Steele

9. Alex Shane vs. Scott Parker

10. Johnny Storm vs. Jody Fleisch

11. Doug Williams vs. Robbie Brookside

So you've never been to a bad wrestling match?

Probably not. The Revolution Pro shows I've seen have all been good, as was the Lucha World show.

This was the potential other option:

1 Crowbar © def. Big Vito   hardcore WCW Hardcore Title  

2 Scott Steiner & Sting def. Bam Bam Bigelow & Mike Awesome        

3 Brian Adams & Bryan Clark def. Booker T. & Lex Luger        

4 Kevin Nash def. (DQ) Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire & Shawn Stasiak   handicap tag    

5 Ernest Miller def. Elix Skipper        

6 Goldberg def. Alex Wright & Disco Inferno   handicap tag    

7 Lance Storm def. General Rection ©     WCW United States Title (title change)  

8 Scott Steiner & Sting def. Brian Adams & Bryan Clark      

I enjoyed this at the time, though I'm sure it doesn't hold up one iota. The novelty of seeing some big stars (including hometown hero Norman Smiley in one of the early matches) gives it some additional points above and beyond a fairy naff card.

While not the worst card I've been to top-to-bottom, I was at the Raw where Jim Ross introduced Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon.  I still remember walking back to my car thinking the WWF was done.

Also on the card:  Hunter Hearst Helmsley having to redo a promo because he messed it up so badly the first time, Jerry Lawler spitting alcohol at Jake Roberts, and the "Real Double J" introduction (not in person, though).

I went to the infamous Tacoma, WA Raw with Buff Bagwell vs. Booker T as the main event... so, so, so, so bad... 

WWE's RAW July 2, 2001 at Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA

The Undertaker (w/ Sara) defeated Albert © by DQ in a WWF Intercontinental Championship Match (2:46)
Molly Holly (w/ Spike Dudley) defeated Crash (w/ Jacqueline) (2:04)
Tajiri (w/ William Regal) defeated Scotty 2 Hotty (2:50)
The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley & D-Von Dudley) defeated Chris Jericho in a Two On One Handicap Match (4:55)
X-Pac (w/ Justin Credible) © defeated Christian (w/ Edge) to retain the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship (3:34)
Rhyno defeated Test (2:15)
Lita & Matt Hardy (w/ Jeff Hardy) defeated The Big Show & Trish Stratus (3:20)
Booker T © defeated Buff Bagwell by DQ to retain the WCW World Heavyweight Championship (4:55)

I went to the infamous Tacoma, WA Raw with Buff Bagwell vs. Booker T as the main event... so, so, so, so bad... 

WWE's RAW July 2, 2001 at Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA

The Undertaker (w/ Sara) defeated Albert © by DQ in a WWF Intercontinental Championship Match (2:46)
Molly Holly (w/ Spike Dudley) defeated Crash (w/ Jacqueline) (2:04)
Tajiri (w/ William Regal) defeated Scotty 2 Hotty (2:50)
The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley & D-Von Dudley) defeated Chris Jericho in a Two On One Handicap Match (4:55)
X-Pac (w/ Justin Credible) © defeated Christian (w/ Edge) to retain the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship (3:34)
Rhyno defeated Test (2:15)
Lita & Matt Hardy (w/ Jeff Hardy) defeated The Big Show & Trish Stratus (3:20)
Booker T © defeated Buff Bagwell by DQ to retain the WCW World Heavyweight Championship (4:55)

I was there too. It was my first live wrestling show and I remember having so much fun.

It was also the first wrestling match I ever attended-

Monday Night Raw, December 27, 1999 from Greensboro, NC-

There were a few dark matches featuring Tracy Smothers, Essa Rios (before Lita debuted with him), and Steve Bradley (who was being touted as the next big thing).  I was really looking forward to this as after being a fan for almost a decade I was finally going to see wrestling live, and man this was like the worst bits of the attitude era. 

This one was pretty bad, too-

September 11, 2004--CMLL USA Show in Greensboro, North Carolina at the Greensboro Coliseum in front of 180 fans:

Hector Veloz & Joker (El Paso guys) & Jesse Ortega b Brad Attitude & Mitch Norris & Krazy K

Princesa Sugeith b Krissy Vaine

Felino & Magno b Averno & Mephisto

Canek & Rey Escorpion (Scorpion King) b Pierroth Jr. & Fishman Jr

I wasn't a big lucha follower and to my knowledge they hadn't announced any of the card beforehand, but I recognized pretty much no one except Canek & Pierroth.  The attendance was miniscule and looked even smaller considering it was in a building that would hold upwards of 17K for a wrestling show.  I was being paid to be there to attend to the suites, but needless to say noone was occupying those for this event, so I just sat in one of them the whole time.  Only 4 matches and one of them looked to consist of a bunch of random US indy scrubs.

Too many CZW shows from 2002 - 2012 to count.  If I had to figure out the worst CZW show I ever saw live I guess it would be this one from 2005:

1. 6 Man Tag Match
2. Chris Hero vs. Jon Dahmer (Dahmer won by the way  :unsure:  )
3. Niles Young vs. Derek Frazier
4. Claudio Castagnoli, Hallowicked, Crossbones & Ravage vs. Nate Webb, Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw & DJ Hyde
5. Ghost Shadow, Heretic & Spyral vs. Eddie Kingston, Ruckus & Sabian
6. El Generico & Beef Wellington vs. H8 Club  (if I remember it was a complete squash by Gage & Justice Pain)
7. Super Dragon & Excalibur vs. Sexxxy Eddy & Chri$ Ca$h
8. Alex Shelley vs. Sonjay Dutt
9. B-Boy vs. Kaos
  • Like 1