DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 7-20-15

MGFanJay

I'm sort of torn on Cena/Rollins. I like the idea behind the feud, but don't really have an interest in seeing another Cena/Rollins match.

From the crowd reaction, no one else does either.  When Seth tried to sell the feud by diffusing Cena's real heat with his own heel heat and the crowd booed in response, I knew the eventual match was doomed.

That being said, those people are stupid.  Cena is a great worker.

Uhh is that the first Virgil tweet you've ever read? He does that with half the roster any time there's even the slightest way to work himself into being a bodyguard/security. Virgil is the best wrestler to follow on twitter.

Every person that watched wrestling as a kid did wrestling moves to their friends. You would have had to work really hard to do anything other than bust your own ass doing a Stunner to someone though.

There aren't too many kids that watch wrestling and don't try to emulate a move or two on the family trampoline, but they tend to figure out quickly that there is a reason for the disclaimer.

I took one high back bodydrop as a kid and that was the end of my wrestling career. 

Mine ended when I gave one of my buddies a powerslam on my folks' bed and broke the bedspring. A Show/Brock moment come to life.  :lol:

• Like 5

So, as the "nothing that happens on WWE TV means anything anymore, so why should I waste my time caring about it?" line of thinking grows increasingly larger in my mind, I've come to the conclusion that Undertaker getting his win back over Brock at Summerslam would pretty much be the final straw for me investing any sort of time and emotion in the WWE anymore.

I really hope a future moment with Rusev is him making out with Summer telling her to "tell me how great Putin is". His Wayne's World Wayne ' s crazy ex making out with her new boyfriend to make him jealous but only doing it so she can watch his face bit is great.

Rusev is Claire Lynching this. The angle for the most part is shit but his performance is amazing.

Thoughts after watching raw:

Charlotte had a very awkward dive in her match. Kofi seemed to be making fun of Titus' face during the ptp dance. Undertaker a few years ago would dived onto all the people trying to stop the brawl. Sadly Brock didn't do the dive himself. Taker should lawndarted kalisto towards Brock. As I said during March madness Luke Harper is a smart Hoss. Looks like aside from ring aprons bumps wwe is also stealing from ROH the lethal vs jay feud. Sasha/Naomi should bust out some 90's joshi ring jackets. Only reason I think the Bella's were faces on commentary is to try to win the teen choice award. Creepy rusev is awesome as is slutty tall summer Lana.

So, as the "nothing that happens on WWE TV means anything anymore, so why should I waste my time caring about it?" line of thinking grows increasingly larger in my mind, I've come to the conclusion that Undertaker getting his win back over Brock at Summerslam would pretty much be the final straw for me investing any sort of time and emotion in the WWE anymore.

Judging by the recent level of discourse on the Internets, I presume that means you're a big dumb stupid-head who doesn't realize how awesome everything is.  Or something.</sarcasm>

They should just go all out with Rusev, and give him Mark Henry's old Sexual Chocolate gimmick. Maybe The Bulgarian Playboy.

Rusev banging the rest of the diva's locker room and making them all dress in power suit's would be pretty damn amazing.

Don't let anyone from WWE read this, or we'll get Bayley called up and added to Team Rusev's Ms. Hancock Fantasy divas trios.

Who knows if The Bellas were just following orders or have no idea how to pull-off the act. But their lines were close to being really good insincere heel work with some delivery. They could have totally done a "suck up to Steph" thing with endorsing the revolution and, in fact, bragged about being responsible for it. "The division needs this revolution because of how damn good we are" sorta thing. Or just bragging about the Teens Choice award like it's some huge deal. "Will Paige ever get nominated for the prestigious Teen Choice award? Not with that scream. Girls should look up to us and not her!"

Or they could have emphasized Charlotte's daddy a little bit more, too. That was so awkward. "She was wooing like her father because that's all she has! She was lucky she beat me!"

But, yeah, they sucked.

I'm not saying Taker/Brock is gonna be an all-the-snowflakes match, but if you didn't like their stuff tonight, you don't like pro wrestling.

Honestly, I think that says more about current WWE than it does me that I didn't enjoy it. I don't have a basis from which to care about Brock and Taker brawling with each other. Brock beat Taker cleanly over a year ago in a matchup that I've seen enough already. That's it. It's over. Taker lost. Brock could be doing something interesting that we haven't seen before, but instead we have another match with Taker preceded by your typical WWE pull-apart brawl with everyone coming out to separate them. Is Brock dynamic? Yes. Is Taker working hard? Sure. But this such an uninteresting encounter that almost nothing they could do would be very enjoyable to me. 

I would just assume that I was being too cynical except that I love NXT, so that's not it. I think it's not me; it's them. 

• Like 1

Could definitely do without the "divas revolution" before MGFanJay's closeups of asses.

NXT women got another showcase and Sasha fucking ripped it.  She looked real good. I love the team of her and Naomi also. Maybe the prettiest women's team ever.

They also wrestle.

Given Raw's current ratings, it seems to me that burden of proof should be on WWE's defenders. What exactly was good about this episode? There were no standout matches or promos, nor were there any interesting storyline developments. Sure, there was nothing that was actively awful. Is that the most we can hope for?

Lots of people posted before you pointing out what they liked about the show. You don't have to agree. I don't agree with a lot of it. There is no "burden of proof" in a matter of taste.

Not calling out anyone in particular but I have read a lot of the "Why was ___  too important to be out there during the brawl?" stuff on various boards and it's like the #1 "I am looking for things to be unhappy about" complaint.

I can't imagine any fan that wasn't also trying to armchair book thinking "well that was awesome but where the fuck was Randy Orton!?"

Nah - they should be there or it should be made clear that they are exceptions and why - the announcers are out there just fucking yammering for 3 hours, there's no reason they can't take a few seconds to explain to us what's going on.

Entrance music playing before a run in is like a 10+ year old trope at this point, HHH's phone call is also standard wrestling shit and the most petty fucking thing to complain about.

It isn't petty to complain about stupid shit happening during a wrestling show on a wrestling message board - even if that stupid shit happens all the time.

Know what would have made this Cena/Rollins thing more acceptable and less LOLCENAWINS?

Had Cena dropped the fucking US title to Kevin Owens, but heaven forbid Cena actually speak up to say things should go in a different direction if we're going along with the line of thought that Cena just goes along with what the proposed direction is and he isn't overtly holding anyone down. That's what I hate about Cena, that whole, "I'm just doing what they tell me to do" stuff. He has definitely spoken out in the past to go over someone (Barrett) and it stands to reason he's done it more than that. He's also smart enough to know when it makes sense for him to lose, but Cena himself is a winner, so why lose when it matters when you can keep winning?

I don't understand why there's someone in every Raw thread trying to crucify Cena for not going out of his way to force a change in the planned finishes that an entire creative team come up with and assert that he knows how to do their job better. It's ridiculous. Just because you're sick of Cena winning all the time doesn't make the guy that portrays his character an asshole.

Hasn't somebody else already used the Drive By as a name for a move? I'm totally blanking on it if so.

MVP's Corner Boot.

Public Enemy also used to call their somersault senton through a table (assisted or not) The Drive By.

• Like 2

For all we know Cena could have offered to lose to Owens. The bottom line is Vince is the one with the checkbook. Vince is going to give Taker his win back, and he's going to get Cena back on top. My only concern is they make Owens and Sasha look like geeks heading into Takeover where those two are in the two biggest matches of the night. Nothing they can do at Summer Slam is going to interest me much at this point with the matches that appear to be headlining. You have Reigns, Rusev, Cesaro, Ambrose and Owens all ready to be top of the card acts and none of them will get a win that means a damn thing at SummerSlam.

It depends on the context.  In a vacuum, the Brock/Taker brawl was fantastic.  High energy, almost the entire roster involved, the crowd going nuts.  It's all you could ask for.

But if you're looking at the whole picture, then things become hazier.  There's no need for Taker to take on Brock again--at least not at this point.  If this was happening right after Royal Rumble to build toward WM so Taker can figure out if he still has it, then OK.  But Taker being upset at Heyman's bragging smacks of being a spoiled loser.  Brock beat Taker clean and took down the Holy Grail of the WWE/WM Universe.  To the victor goes the bragging right--take your lumps and move on.

Either way is acceptable in my book.  Whatever floats your boat.

As for Lesnar doing something else, I'm not sure what.  Owens, Cesaro, and Rusev are in the US title mix.  Sheamus has MITB, but he hasn't as so much glanced at Brock.  Reigns/Ambrose are busy with Wyatt/Harper.  There's Orton or Cena, I suppose.  Barrett's too low on the card right now.  Take Rollins back to Suplex City, maybe? There aren't many places to plug Brock right now, sadly.

• Like 1

I personally think Brock should be champ and taking on Rusev. I'd be off on a totally different direction than this company. 

As much as I don't like Bray Wyatt, I also think a re-formed Wyatt Family (plug someone else in for Rowan) as seconds to Bray would make Bray/Brock fun. Bray still has a sliver of his aura as a massive threat right now, so Harper and someone else running physical interference as Bray plays mind games, while not the best use of Brock at all, would be at least interesting and different. I'm not saying that my ideas are ICHIBAN #1 or even that good, but they are at least far more interesting than Brock/Taker.

The "Drive By" was definitely MVP most recently. It was a a bicycle kick to a kneeling opponent, and still a staple in the CAW moveset for the SVR/WWE2K series.

Also forgotten amidst Rusev's comedy, was HHH's great line in one of the backstage segments. Steph said something like "I don't trust [Heyman] as far as I can throw him," and without missing a beat, HHH drops a completely deadpan "And that's not very far." The way he said it made me laugh so much I missed the rest of the segment.