DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 7-20-15

MGFanJay

More greatness from Team BAD

So good.

I really want them to do an in-ring segment where one of the Bellas go "What does Team BAD stand for anyways? I thought it was Better at Dominating? Now you say it's Beautiful and Dangerous? Maybe you need to get your facts straight" and then Naomi says "You wanna know what Team BAD stands for?" and Tamina kicks said Bella in the face and then Sasha says "It stands for Bad".  And then you never have to explain the team name again.

I really want them to do an in-ring segment where one of the Bellas go "What does Team BAD stand for anyways? I thought it was Better at Dominating? Now you say it's Beautiful and Dangerous? Maybe you need to get your facts straight" and then Naomi says "You wanna know what Team BAD stands for?" and Tamina kicks said Bella in the face and then Sasha says "It stands for Bad".  And then you never have to explain the team name again.

Boots Against Domes would be better after a Bella eat a Tamina superkick. Tamina is so perfect for her role--mean mugging, harrassing backstage interviewers, and super kicking fools. It's so great.

Woods continues to be awesome.  That he and R-Truth were the ones talking down Lesnar, with Brock actually listening a bit, was great.

It speaks well to the talent that so many have been given thankless angles and they've turned those lemons into lemonade: Summer/Rusev/Lana, Tamina, New Day.  Even if the writing is off, I want to see these people because they're giving it their all and actually moving along the story as best they can.

Kofi is really growing on me as a heel.  His disingenuous smile as he skips to the ring and his hot-dogging in the ring is just aces.

And when did Naomi start to get good?  I love Team B.A.D.

There is not enough love in this thread for Luke Harper, Wrestling Jesus.  Reverse Chinlocks are the staple of the heel arsenal, but Luke still remembers that he's supposed to be working on Reign's fake injured shoulder so he adds an arm tweaker into the chinlock!.  MATWORK, MATWORK, MATWORK~! 

I am praying that armstretch crossface he put on Reigns during the post match beatdown is Luke's new finisher.

Reigns sold everything like murder and always remembered to go back to holding the arm after hot spots to sell the adrenaline going away. The guy is starting to get it.

I did not see any punches that sucked during that match.   Fundamentals are important.

Brock / Taker was fucking epic. So much great hate!  I am totally sold on SummerSlam after only one episode of RAW with Brock / UT as the main and if Wyatts vs. Ambrose / Reigns / Sting turns out to be an actual thing.

I am so non plussed about the Rollins and Cena confrontation. 

With my friend on all this. Luke Harper deserves a bigger push. Harper's great.

I didn't really have a problem with you not liking the show. That's why I didn't quote any of that shit. I had a problem with you pulling a Nintendo Logic and coming in and trying to act like anyone who didn't hate the show is somehow less of a wrestling fan or just a big dummy.

I never said that. At all.

Because ratings = quality?  Does box office totals = quality?  Billboard sales = quality?  

Of course not. But it's not like WWE's sacrificing commercial success for artistic integrity. They're trying to be mainstream crowd-pleasing entertainment. They're just failing at it.

Kofi is really growing on me as a heel.  His disingenuous smile as he skips to the ring and his hot-dogging in the ring is just aces.

And when did Naomi start to get good?  I love Team B.A.D.

I love Team BAD, too.  Sasha Banks is like number two on the JT's future ex wives rankings.  After I am done with the foot massage, can I get you some Butter Pecan ice cream, my dear?

Remember when the best heels in TNA were women and they were so awesome that dudes thought that being associated with them would help out their own shine?  So do I..

I didn't really have a problem with you not liking the show. That's why I didn't quote any of that shit. I had a problem with you pulling a Nintendo Logic and coming in and trying to act like anyone who didn't hate the show is somehow less of a wrestling fan or just a big dummy.

I never said that. At all.

And it wasn't implied?!

This is the first Raw I've watched in like five months. I tuned in mainly to see if they were actually going to turn Undertaker or Lesnar heel. Please tell me you guys don't actually watch this shit on a weekly basis.

"Please tell me you guys don't actually watch this shit on a weekly basis" isn't loaded with scorn and, by nature of this being a wrestling board and us all being wrestling fans, it's not hard to make the leap from "you don't actually watch this shit" to "I don't watch this shit" to "I watch superior wrestling".   Maybe that's not what you intended, but what do you expect when you insert yourself into a discussion of people saying "That was awesome" and say "you don't actually watch this shit"?

• Like 2

The brawl was a lot of fun and fulfilled it's purpose in fast tracking the Taker/Lesnar match but we still don't know why Taker is going after Brock other than avenging his streak loss, I could understand Taker's revenge being motivated by some dirty tactics by Brock in the initial match but Brock won clean as a sheet, sure Heyman and Brock gloated about the victory but as Heyman articulated in his promo, why wouldn't they? Taker looks like a whiney asshole with the decision making ability of a toddler and I want Brock to beat his ass. The brawl was great, but I'm not forgiving the shitty writing.

Oh and Cena now being shot towards the WWE title picture couldn't be more of a desperation attempt by Vince in order to gain subs and sell Summerslam as something extra special this year, the stench around WWE in the summertime is irreparable and bringing back legends and boosting Cena to the top of the card is totally papering over the cracks of a problem WWE has caused since like, 2005.

• Like 1

Why is everyone acting like Cena continuing to do the Open Challenges and Rollins costing him the belt isn't a very real possibility?

I thought it was the telegraphed reality, myself.

They should just go all out with Rusev, and give him Mark Henry's old Sexual Chocolate gimmick. Maybe The Bulgarian Playboy.

Rusev banging the rest of the diva's locker room and making them all dress in power suit's would be pretty damn amazing.

• Like 1

Something stuck out to me during the Reigns vs Harper match. Cole called Reigns' apron dropkick the "Drive By." Keep in mind I usually tune out the announcing completely, so it could have been called that before, but what the fuck! Reigns has a move called the "Drive By," but Rollins can't have a move called the "Curb Stomp." Again, what the fuck?

I loved HHH's speech to the locker room that was basically "If Brock and Taker don't fight at Summerslam, the WWE will literally go out of business and you will all be out of work. We will never recover financially." I know wrestling exists in it's own awesome little universe, but that's a stretch even for them. 

Also, I'm not a HHH hater by any means, and I'd have to go back and really dig in to see if this is right, but it feels like "heels overcoming the odds and ending up in handicap matches against faces" thing has really been on the rise since he started to get more control over the show. If so, I mean, that's just so telling about how he views his character and wrestling in general, right?

• Like 1

Something stuck out to me during the Reigns vs Harper match. Cole called Reigns' apron dropkick the "Drive By." Keep in mind I usually tune out the announcing completely, so it could have been called that before, but what the fuck! Reigns has a move called the "Drive By," but Rollins can't have a move called the "Curb Stomp." Again, what the fuck?

I thought they nuked the Curb Stomp due to head injury concerns and not because of the name?

• Like 1

I thought they nuked the Curb Stomp due to head injury concerns and not because of the name?

It was more of a "this is really easy for kids to copy and we don't feel like getting a lawsuit for those reasons"

You mean that no one follows the Don't Try This At Home advice?  That is chlorine for the gene pool if they don't.  I think humanity could benefit as a whole with fewer people carrying the Light The M80 I Am Holding In My Clenched Buttock Cheeks chromosome.

• Like 1

Every person that watched wrestling as a kid did wrestling moves to their friends. You would have had to work really hard to do anything other than bust your own ass doing a Stunner to someone though. Going back further, I don't think anyone was doing the figure four the right way to actually make it hurt or dropping Dusty elbows hard enough to do any real damage.

All that said, I think it's a really reactionary and stupid thing to do because I don't think anyone has ever won one of those lawsuits against WWE. But I imagine they are expensive and this directive was something that came from the legal department.

My favorite thing from last night was probably the women's tag. Its the best I think Paige has actually looked on the main roster or from what I've seen of her elsewhere. Same with Naomi. Naomi & Sasha were such a perfect team. It was good hearing the crowd actually invested. The Charlotte/Brie match was ok, but probably not worked remotely the way it should have been as it was awkward seeing Brie control a match with a person twice her size who has much more skill in the area. It would have been fine if Brie could carry herself like Sasha, but she can't.

The Brock/Taker brawl was good, and the feud has my interest if they continue the straight up brawl route in the Summerslam match.

I'm sort of torn on Cena/Rollins. I like the idea behind the feud, but don't really have an interest in seeing another Cena/Rollins match. The overdid the match late last year/early this year. Rollins hasn't really grown much the past six months to a point where I think they can have a different match from their previous encounters. I also don't really want to see Cena go for the main belt right now when he has more interesting things going on with the US belt. And most of it all it likely means Cena loses the belt in a screwy finish which would be fine with say Owens or Rusev but bothers me with anyone else. I can understand why they went this route though as they needed as big a match possible for Seth, but I wish this was another match entirely as it involves two people I would rather not see in the World title picture at the moment despite liking both.

Every person that watched wrestling as a kid did wrestling moves to their friends. You would have had to work really hard to do anything other than bust your own ass doing a Stunner to someone though.

There aren't too many kids that watch wrestling and don't try to emulate a move or two on the family trampoline, but they tend to figure out quickly that there is a reason for the disclaimer.

I took one high back bodydrop as a kid and that was the end of my wrestling career.