DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 7-20-15

MGFanJay

Well it was more of a throwaway humorous comment, really. I didn't expect your feelings to be hurt. 

I also think you're reading quite a lot into what was merely a post stating what I didn't like about the show. 

I didn't really have a problem with you not liking the show. That's why I didn't quote any of that shit. I had a problem with you pulling a Nintendo Logic and coming in and trying to act like anyone who didn't hate the show is somehow less of a wrestling fan or just a big dummy.

Complaining about a guy's entrance music playing before his run in feels really silly at this point considering it's a well established WWE trope that's been going on for over a decade. WWE comes with it's own stylistic differences, good or bad, just like every other wrestling promotions.

This would be like me suddenly deciding I'm going to watch New Japan but make a point to bitch about every time two guys stand in the middle of the ring staring at each other exchanging forearms or clotheslines. It's a well established trope at this point and I can either accept it or decide it bothers me too much to get any enjoyment out of watching and not watch.

That's being a bit sensitive. I didn't hate the show. I thought it was mediocre, hence my surprise to see it praised on the most part. Whether something is a common trope that's been around for 10 years or 10 minutes, it still sucks and wouldn't be difficult to change it. 

Ya... big dummy, you

That's being a bit sensitive. I didn't hate the show. I thought it was mediocre, hence my surprise to see it praised on the most part. Whether something is a common trope that's been around for 10 years or 10 minutes, it still sucks and wouldn't be difficult to change it. 

Ya... big dummy, you

It wouldn't be difficult for guys in Japan to stop pissing me off by standing in front of each other and willingly allowing the other dude to hit them in the face to show how tough they are but I've long since stopped expecting it.

Know what would have made this Cena/Rollins thing more acceptable and less LOLCENAWINS?

Had Cena dropped the fucking US title to Kevin Owens, but heaven forbid Cena actually speak up to say things should go in a different direction if we're going along with the line of thought that Cena just goes along with what the proposed direction is and he isn't overtly holding anyone down. That's what I hate about Cena, that whole, "I'm just doing what they tell me to do" stuff. He has definitely spoken out in the past to go over someone (Barrett) and it stands to reason he's done it more than that. He's also smart enough to know when it makes sense for him to lose, but Cena himself is a winner, so why lose when it matters when you can keep winning?

I must say I'm surprised to see mostly praise for this show here. 

I didn't really get the reasoning of the locker room pouring out the stop the brawl. I know 'H spoke to them and said their livelihoods were on the line but I wasn't sufficiently convinced why it would be. 

The reasoning was simple. Triple H knew if Brock was here, he was going to kill the Undertaker. He remembers the carnage the last time Brock lost the title in a screwy fashion. Steph was smart enough to know it's going to take the entire locker room to keep a raging Brock Lesnar and a fully resurrected Undertaker apart. The reason why their livelihoods were on the line was because the Authority are invested in a Brock/Taker SummerSlam match and if something happened to ruin that, anyone who allowed Brock or Taker to get hurt would be held responsible.  Also the Authority are their bosses and they know the Authority can fire them at their leisure so it's probably a good idea to keep them content and/or happy.

Other random thoughts from the brawl

- Curtis Axel only dyes his mustache. That fact is amazing to me.

- The non-crippled Uso thinking wearing those stupid high tops were a good idea.

- Taker randomly punching an Ascension member

- Xavier Woods being awesome in trying to direct the mob

- Poor poor Bo Dallas took the full brunt of Brock at one point. That had to suck

- God Bless Kallisto. He tried

• Like 3

BTW - I blame Hollinger for not telling me the reason Jeremy Wyatt retired was to become a cop

He's not QUITE retired but is apparently hanging it up at the end of the year.

One of these days, I'll need to look into the pair of ironman matches he did with Mark Sterling in Iowa.  (Sterling was also among the indie workers on Raw.)

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. The Taker-Brock segment was so much better than what they did at Battleground. I also enjoyed Rollins pointing out he wasn't announced as the champ at the end of the ppv. It was a nice touch.

The Harper v. Reigns match was the first time I've cared about about Reigns or Wyatt in months. 

I'm kind of bummed about Owens and the nxt girls. With Owens, it's not that he lost at Battleground to Cena. It's where he is now. From the moment Owens debuted in nxt he has been lights out. His matches and his character development have been so so good. He was a prize fighter who only fights with purpose. 

Over a period of two weeks, he lost his title, he lost his feud and he's in thrown together 6-mans to close out Raw. He's not a lost cause by any means, but what the hell is going on?

With the nxt girls, each one really needed their own introduction. They also should've debuted in a smark heavy market like New York around Summerslam so they would get big reactions and come off as big deals. This feels thrown together like that week when the new blood showed up on nitro. 

UT assaulted one Ascension member with repeated punches while the other got multiple headbutts.  It was great!

• Like 2

Brock: I'm gonna kill you!

Taker: You're gonna have to

Fuck. Yes. No sanitized pg shit there.

Wasn't quite as great as the Brock/Cena pull apart in 2012 with Cena bloodied up around his mouth laughing and looking completely unhinged, but pretty close.

• Like 3

UT assaulted one Ascension member with repeated punches while the other got multiple headbutts.  It was great!

Well, you should always take a shot at the Ascencion......even if you are fighting for you life.

I like how HHH and Steph acted like this main event for SummerFest just feel in their lap.  Like they never thought about doing a rematch before this?  I guess it would be hard to get the Undertaker character to answer his phone.  Does he even have a phone, or do you need to burn an ancient symbol in the middle of Death Valley to get in touch with him?

• Like 1

If this were ECW or Attitude Era, we'd end up with Lana and Summer Rae as lovers, and I'd be perfectly happy with that. I'd like to hear Rusev in his Bulgarian accent, "I'm hardcore. I'll take 'em both."

It doesn't even have to be ECW or Attitude, since they essentially did the same thing with Layla & Summer with Fandango.

Given Raw's current ratings, it seems to me that burden of proof should be on WWE's defenders. 

Because ratings = quality?  Does box office totals = quality?  Billboard sales = quality?  

Taker's been this pissed about Brock for that long...except for that brief period earlier this year during Wrestlemania. We're just gonna ignore that.

Taker did say something along the lines of this being his real resurrection.  Probably going to be as close to an explanation as we're going to get.

If Cena was going back into the World Title picture, why in the everloving fuck did he have to beat Owens to retain a title that WON'T EVEN BE DEFENDED AT SUMMERSLAM.

I fully expect stories to come out that Owens was going to win, until they decided to hot shot Cena back into the main event, at which point they decided to keep him "strong" by going over Owens.

Why is everyone acting like Cena continuing to do the Open Challenges and Rollins costing him the belt isn't a very real possibility?

Because then the last 4 months have literally been for nothing.  

All he's been saying for the whole reign is that "some superstar somewhere is going to be the better man one day and beat me".  Rollins costing him the title torpedoes the whole premise, because it's not being better, it's a fluke. 

That said, I absolutely expect Rollins to cost him the title.

• Like 2

Why is everyone acting like Cena continuing to do the Open Challenges and Rollins costing him the belt isn't a very real possibility?

Because I thought the whole point of the Open Challenges was to put over some people in the process (maybe they'll remember that Neville had Cena beat if it wasn't for Rusev) but the main thing was to eventually give Roman Reigns the rub by being the one to beat Cena clean.

Though the idea of Rollins helping Reigns win the US Title is interesting too