DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 7-20-15

MGFanJay

That Rusev segment was gold. "I must go to my match now."

Overall a pretty fun show. I enjoyed it more than Battleground. Harper/Roman was a fun hard-hitting match, and PTP/Matadores was a great little under-the-radar match in the 5 or so minutes it got. The women's tag ended up being decent too. Paige and Sasha really stood out, I wish Becky got to show a little more on the offensive side of things, but there's plenty of time for that. If my math's right (and there's no guarantee on that at this hour), there are 54 different singles or tag match combinations they can run, and I'd be willing to bet we see most of them at some point in the next few months. They need to play Sasha's theme more and Naomi's theme less, though.

Edit: Imagine an alternate universe where Rusev teams with Santino instead of Koslov...

I like Naomi's theme!

The 'Brie Mode' theme can go away, though.  It was super-awkward watching Nikki do her little ramptop pose to her sister's theme, too.

I though Becky Lynch looked cool as hell doing her dance/taunt thing to Paige's theme music. She looked a little unhinged.

If Cena was going back into the World Title picture, why in the everloving fuck did he have to beat Owens to retain a title that WON'T EVEN BE DEFENDED AT SUMMERSLAM.

Nothing about this company makes sense anymore, and the InCenarator clearly spares no man. I fully expect him to leave Brooklyn with both titles.

• Like 1

I'm not a WWE defender but this was a really interesting storyline development:

p7Lgj1N.gif

GW1bsiF.gif

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. I just take it as a given that a wrestler is supposed to be banging any female he's attached to in storyline.

Maybe the problem is that you don't even know what the fucking storyline developments are being you aren't paying attention. Especially when there have been so many posts in this thread about what makes it cool.

What does "banging" have to do with Summer Rae suddenly transforming into fake Lana?

I'm familiar enough with the storyline. Rusev dumped Lana and hooked up with Summer Rae, Lana ended up with Dolph, and now Summer's cosplaying as Lana. Is there some additional context I'm missing?

I agree that the Brock/Taker stuff was cool. The problem is that it's setting up a match I have absolutely zero desire to see.

I actually think people moaning about Cena not putting anyone over clean for the title are missing the point; Cesaro was in the main-event tonight and treated as though he belonged (and giving Orton a new RKO feed), Rusev is re-emerging as a badass even whilst doing a lot of fairly goofy comedy shit (bless that man!), Owens is #naturalheel like McNulty is #naturalpolice. A clean win against Cena doesn't mean that much unless they're going to follow it up and so what they're doing is fine.

I'm going to +1 everyone pointing out that Reigns has got better. Two really great matches - yeah Harper is great but Wyatt less so and he delivered two great matches. He probably is the right guy to take the US Title from Cena.

I'm a WWE defender at the moment. Three hours is tricky and I think they're doing a better job of filling the time. I sometimes wonder if Rollins is a little too weak a champ at this point (the loss of the Curb Stomp really makes him look less dangerous), but he does such a great job of being a smug prick that it just about works. That said, now that Lesnar is distracted I am not exactly sure why Sheamus wouldn't be cashing in the briefcase right about now - it's a bit odd that this isn't even being talked about.

I was half-joking last night that you can tell when you have really made it in the WWE when you don't have to participate in those whole locker room segments.

Meltzer described it better on Twitter as the guys the WWE feels are "special"

From what was gathered last night - the folks not in

Cena

Orton

Show - Though he had just finished his match

Miz - selling his ass beating from match that just finished

Wyatt

Harper

Reigns

Ambrose

But those last 4 had the segment that eventually followed the brawl so I can see them not being in it

So basically just Cena and Orton had no excuse

EDIT - Oh duh... Rollins wasn't in it either

Does Brie even have a finish?.

She uses the X-Factor.

I really liked both Diva segments, especially the tag. BAD are such an awesome group. I really dig their chemistry.

Summer as Lana is awesome and exactly where this angle should be going.

Not calling out anyone in particular but I have read a lot of the "Why was ___  too important to be out there during the brawl?" stuff on various boards and it's like the #1 "I am looking for things to be unhappy about" complaint.

I can't imagine any fan that wasn't also trying to armchair book thinking "well that was awesome but where the fuck was Randy Orton!?"

• Like 1

Does Brie even have a finish?.

She uses the X-Factor.

I really liked both Diva segments, especially the tag. BAD are such an awesome group. I really dig their chemistry.

Summer as Lana is awesome and exactly where this angle should be going.

The generic woman's finisher Brooke tessmacher calls it the butter face maker. Brie should just steal Allison danger's finisher since she already stole several of her moves.

I must say I'm surprised to see mostly praise for this show here. 

Triple H spoke entirely in exposition in his segments. When he's on the phone he doesn't just say "Paul, I don't think you or Brock should be here tonight", he says "Paul Heyman, I don't think you or your client Brock Lesnar should be on RAW tonight". Would it be that hard for the audience to decipher who he was talking to?

Taker's promo really dragged. He was speaking as if he was reading it from cue-cards 4 words at a time. 

Badass Brock needs his entrance music to play to save his client Paul Heyman. Did I mention he was Brock Lesnar's client? Paul Heyman?

I didn't really get the reasoning of the locker room pouring out the stop the brawl. I know 'H spoke to them and said their livelihoods were on the line but I wasn't sufficiently convinced why it would be. 

The announcers spoke over each other on more than one occasion. They are all devoid of emotion. 

I've no idea what the point of the Bellas on commentary was. 

We need to have higher standards, guys.

• Like 2

When you say stupid and ridiculous things it has a tendency to make a person think YOU are in fact a stupid and ridiculous person. You should think about this and adjust your posting style accordingly.

I'm not a WWE defender but this was a really interesting storyline development:

p7Lgj1N.gif

GW1bsiF.gif

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. I just take it as a given that a wrestler is supposed to be banging any female he's attached to in storyline.

Maybe the problem is that you don't even know what the fucking storyline developments are being you aren't paying attention. Especially when there have been so many posts in this thread about what makes it cool.

What does "banging" have to do with Summer Rae suddenly transforming into fake Lana?

I'm familiar enough with the storyline. Rusev dumped Lana and hooked up with Summer Rae, Lana ended up with Dolph, and now Summer's cosplaying as Lana. Is there some additional context I'm missing?

I agree that the Brock/Taker stuff was cool. The problem is that it's setting up a match I have absolutely zero desire to see.

The extra context is the promo Lana did a few weeks back where she said that it was Rusev who made her dress like this (ie power suit) cause he's a control freak.

And because it's the WWE writers no one thought it was silly/stupid for her to say that then keep on wearing the power suit and bun.

When you say stupid and ridiculous things it has a tendency to make a person think YOU are in fact a stupid and ridiculous person. You should think about this and adjust your posting style accordingly.

Which part of what I said was stupid and/or ridiculous?

The point isn't that you have to enjoy it. The point is, because you didn't like it doesn't mean our 'standards' are low.

It means we liked it and you didn't. And the idea of having 'standards' for wrestling makes it seem like you're ashamed of watching.

• Like 1

If Cena walks out with both titles- that doesn't hurt the US belt, and you can have a massive 8-man tourney that lasts until Survivor Series, or hell, make that Survivor series- survive 3 matches in one night to win the US belt.

That absolutely hurts the belt. It's saying, "All these guys weren't good enough to beat Cena, so now he's just gonna give up the title and let them fight over it instead."

The whole point of putting the secondary belts on Cena and Bryan was to build them up again so that it meant something to be US or Intercontinental champion. If the veteran superstar beats everybody upper midcarder he faces for months and then gives the title away because he won the more important one, it still doesn't mean anything to be the US champ.

• Like 1

There is not enough love in this thread for Luke Harper, Wrestling Jesus.  Reverse Chinlocks are the staple of the heel arsenal, but Luke still remembers that he's supposed to be working on Reign's fake injured shoulder so he adds an arm tweaker into the chinlock!.  MATWORK, MATWORK, MATWORK~! 

I am praying that armstretch crossface he put on Reigns during the post match beatdown is Luke's new finisher.

Reigns sold everything like murder and always remembered to go back to holding the arm after hot spots to sell the adrenaline going away. The guy is starting to get it.

I did not see any punches that sucked during that match.   Fundamentals are important.

Brock / Taker was fucking epic. So much great hate!  I am totally sold on SummerSlam after only one episode of RAW with Brock / UT as the main and if Wyatts vs. Ambrose / Reigns / Sting turns out to be an actual thing.

I am so non plussed about the Rollins and Cena confrontation. 

• Like 1

"Guys if you got any enjoyment from this then obviously you aren't as enlightened and intelligent of a fan as I am. How will WWE ever improve if we don't write how terrible they are and how every single thing they do stinks?"

I wasn't aware that the internet was a hive mind where we're all IN IT TOGETHER! to write about how much Raw sucks so that god damn old piece of shit Vince McMahon can read our opinions and rage so hard his shriveled old grinch heart will give out and die.

Entrance music playing before a run in is like a 10+ year old trope at this point, HHH's phone call is also standard wrestling shit and the most petty fucking thing to complain about. But when you sit down to watch Raw looking for things to hate so you can have the best "hot take" online that's what you get.

Well it was more of a throwaway humorous comment, really. I didn't expect your feelings to be hurt. 

I also think you're reading quite a lot into what was merely a post stating what I didn't like about the show. 

My "nitpick" about the pull apart - because if I say complaint I clearly hated it - is that PTP didn't take the opportunity to go after New Day.

I mean I can see the rest of the guys putting aside their beefs for Triple H but Titus and Darren had just been screwed by New Day so it was pretty fresh. No one is really going to notice a misplaced elbow here or there. Carpe Diem at all that

On the bright side - MORE NEW DAY VS. PTP BITCHES!!!!

• Like 2