DVDVR Message Board

WWE Battleground

Phil Schneider

I thought that was hands down the best match of the Cena/Owens trilogy. They were all spotfests with weak psychology, but I thought the high pace, the crowd and the drama of it being the rubber match made everything feel more earned and made the match play out the most entertaining of the three. I do agree that Owens' work in NXT was far superior though, this feud has brought out some of his worst indy tendencies (minus the constant joking with the crowd).

Just a thought. So many people have told me recently that they feel like Barrett is being wasted in his current role. I have a question. Convince me Barrett is one of the 15 best active male wrestlers on the WWE main roster. Cause I have like 20 guys I view as being a better in ring guy then him. He's a good promo, no question, but as an in ring talent, he's middling in this company.

• Like 2

I thought that was hands down the best match of the Cena/Owens trilogy. They were all spotfests with weak psychology, but I thought the high pace, the crowd and the drama of it being the rubber match made everything feel more earned and made the match play out the most entertaining of the three. I do agree that Owens' work in NXT was far superior though, this feud has brought out some of his worst indy tendencies (minus the constant joking with the crowd).

Gotta be honest, completely disagree. There was at least a touch of build for the previous matches during the match. They were throwing big spots within 2 fucking minutes. I was hoping they'd change up the style a bit here, but working the same match 3 PPV's in a row will lead to some wear and tear.

Just a thought. So many people have told me recently that they feel like Barrett is being wasted in his current role. I have a question. Convince me Barrett is one of the 15 best active male wrestlers on the WWE main roster. Cause I have like 20 guys I view as being a better in ring guy then him. He's a good promo, no question, but as an in ring talent, he's middling in this company.

I've been saying Barrett's a midcarder for life since 2012 or 13. He hit his ceiling super early in his career, which made him look like a phenom, but he never improved much after that, and the influx of talent that came in afterwards passed him easily. There are definitely 15+ guys on the roster who have at least been better at some point/are easily better when motivated and probably at least 10 who are unquestionably better right now. His current role of off/on again IC title guy is where he needs to be until he wants to hang 'em up and become an announcer.

I don't know why he couldn't just keep the Bad News gimmick. His ceiling is really I.C. champ though and everyone is all "Oh god don't make him I.C. champ again!" so I don't know what people really expect.

I don't know why he couldn't just keep the Bad News gimmick. His ceiling is really I.C. champ though and everyone is all "Oh god don't make him I.C. champ again!" so I don't know what people really expect.

Allegedly, people were cheering the "I have some bad news for you" segments, so the company asked him to drop the gimmick because they didn't want him getting face reactions.  

Yep, in an era where top guys flip-flop from heel to face about once a year (sometimes less), the company that often struggles to get over even the guys they're pushing hard asked a guy to drop a gimmick because it was getting him over.

Sometimes, I wonder if the company isn't an legitimate front for Vince's drug business.  King Kong ain't got nothing on him!

• Like 1

I also don't think you need to think he is the best (or one of the best) wrestler in the company to think he is being wasted in his role.

My counter argument is that right now the main thing that's bringing in interest and getting crowd reactions is actually great matches. Not saying Wade's bad, but he's not as good as a guy like Drew Galloway who gut fired.

Couldnt they just have let him be a face?

That would be the obvious question and why this company is dumb, yes.

Anyone else see the women's portion of the preshow?

Two losers in the crowd chanting "Sasha's ugly" after she finishes talking and then just before it ends one man musters a "No she's not".

I knows she's a heel and all but im still a bit confused by it.

Two losers in the crowd chanting "Sasha's ugly" after she finishes talking and then just before it ends one man musters a "No she's not".

I know it wasn't you saying it, but in what world do we live in that Sasha Banks is ugly?

Stupid fans are stupid.

• Like 1

I know it wasn't you saying it, but in what world do we live in that Sasha Banks is ugly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzKgD89oOE

Stupid fans are stupid.

Well they were in St. Louis last night....

The thing about great matches being the one thing getting reactions is interesting. I think it's made the booking even lazier than normal when they can just throw random shit out there and it'll be a good match because there's so many good workers in WWE. Even the ones the hardcore fans like to shit on have their fair share of good matches.

I'm mean just look at the story driven matches Zayn and Owens had in NXT. That wasn't two guys trying to have a 5 star match, and get praise from the smarks. That was two guys telling a compelling story based on their characters and the storyline they were involved in. Even the Neville/Zayn title change motyc never felt like it was cool stuff for the sake of cool stuff there was a story being told.

There's something lacking in the way the main roster is putting things together. I think I heard Cole say Sheamus had nothing to be ashamed of because it was a good match. That's fucking bullshit he lost he should be fuming. This whole good performance era where wins and losses don't mean shit is killing my interest in WWE.

Stupid fans are stupid.

Well they were in St. Louis last night....

Hey, St. Louisans aren't dumb! I'm from St. Louis!

Wait a minute........

At łeast no òne dropped the FHITA on Sasha.

The timing seemed weird that on a "B" show everyone was swinging for the fences and putting together these epic matches that got a lot of time. I never have the energy to watch an entire PPV (including preshow), but I enjoyed this one from top to bottom. I only took a break when The Miz come out...

EDIT: I don't think "the wrong"  person or team won on any of the matches, as this was a free month (again!?!?) for the Network so aside from the surprise of the Undertaker, there shouldn't be big title changes here. Somehow with the network, things are reverse and the bigger stuff needs to be either on RAW or on a major pay-per-view or super-special (see, Beast In The East, etc.).

Well, at least old grimy methbiker 'Taker looks more like a mad dog hellbent on revenge than he did when he shaved his head and just looked like some sickly old wizard crawling out of his abyss in the dead of winter. As for Rollins not getting some order of cheap-o win off the interference it's probably got a lot to do with them (I'm guessing) having no further interest in  pairing off Lesnar and Rollins anytime soon as long as Lesnar is still doing the limited matches thing.  Plus Brock dragging his feet on immediately getting that receipt (by ripping the greasy weasel's body in half-torso separated from waist style)-even if his attention was diverted would kind of make him look like a chumpshit and linger like a foul stench over whatever they're trying to do with this whole "avenging the 1 in 21-1" hokum. I actually agree with their approach.

Obviously it sucks anytime they end a PPV with a non-finish. But Brock so thoroughly obliterating Rollins settles that score even if he didn't win back the trinket (what the title amounts to the longer it stays on weasel Rollins and I don't even mean that as a gripe against the booking of Rollins as Champ.) Also I think Rollins not actually winning the match but still getting to claim survived total annihilation status like a cockroach post-nuclear war with belt-in-hand will make him come off his slimiest yet.

So have we discovered just why Taker is back? If he's simply back to avenge his brother being injured then he's the most hypocritical motherfucker in wrestling, we're talking about the same dude who set his brother on fire and lost his streak CLEAN. I don't see how Taker is at all a face in this scenario and if that's the way they're going without some sort of melodramatic bullshit then Taker is the crankiest most bi-polar guy in wrestling, at this point I want Brock to beat his ass for shitting on his title challenge, no? Fuck this writing team. Fuck them all.

The match is going to suck some dick too without some sort of stipulation and blood, Taker and Brock have had one GREAT match in the confines of the cell, their wrestlemania match was the worst. Taker can't walk let alone run the ropes, Brock shouldn't be selling for this broken down mess, it's hogan levels of hokey bullshit that will destroy WWE's one draw.

• Like 3

I also don't think you need to think he is the best (or one of the best) wrestler in the company to think he is being wasted in his role.

My counter argument is that right now the main thing that's bringing in interest and getting crowd reactions is actually great matches. Not saying Wade's bad, but he's not as good as a guy like Drew Galloway who gut fired.

Galloway had a better theme song, but it tended to be drowned out by the crickets that accompanied his appearances.

Yep, "you injured my kayfabe brother" is crap. It's got to be something more along the lines of not mentioning the boogeyman by name the way Brock's hypeman Heyman has went above and beyond in doing by still gloating a year and a half later about ending the streak. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. The real problems will set in if 'Taker does indeed get his win back. Because what does that kind of dead end horseshit even lead to?