DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 16: Dillashaw vs. Barão II (7/25/2015) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

Tate/Eye was a very good fight. Eye was landing more shoots on the feet, but as Oyaji said, Tate just caught Eye's exposed chin and dropped her.

Levigne standing them up as Tate had Eye's back was horrible.

MMA reffing. We've had two bizarre things in just two of the main card fights alone. What the hell was Herb looking at when Gomi basically gave up or was unconscious?

Saying that, I miss when Gomi was a world beater.

Meisha definitely deserves a title shot except for the fact that she has been destroyed by Rousey the first 2 times.   Also not looking forward to it because nobody brings out the worse in Rousey than Meisha.  If you thought Correia gets under her skin.  

Yes I am already assuming that Rousey wins next week.  Would think it is a no brainer

Guest Edwin

Saying that, I miss when Gomi was a world beater.

Everyone does.

Ronda/Tate 3 isn't a fight that necessarily needs to happen, but there's no one else really.

A fight with Cyborg that seems unlikely or a fight with Holm if she wins and they bring over Tonya Evinger for a title fight and build her up around her being the Invicta FC BW champ.

Time for Renan Barao to move up to featherweight.

Does anyone really want to see Miesha get destroyed by Rousey again?

Nope, but who else is there? It's going to happen one last time and UFC will make lots of money even if we don't want to see it.

TJ's footwork and punching technique is top stuff. So impressive and Barao looks like a ghost of the monster he was two years ago. I don't think TJ is in that unbeatable category yet, because he's still very hittable. I'd love, love to see Cruz get a crack at him. Would definitely be the best footwork we've ever seen. Looking at the top 10, he's probably the only guy I'd give a good chance in beating TJ other than Assuncao. Who knows how Dominick's recovered though.

We'll see if it's the weight cut when Renan inevitably moves up to 145. I'm not so sure.

Just no energy and no snap on his punches after 3 minutes. He basically fought gassed for another 13 minutes. You can't fight the top guys if you're in there shell-shocked.

He's "only" 28 though. I know that's end of the peak fighting years, but I'm surprised to see him lose his weight cutting ability at a fairly early age with all things considered. 

Does anyone really want to see Miesha get destroyed by Rousey again?

Nope, but who else is there? It's going to happen one last time and UFC will make lots of money even if we don't want to see it.

TJ's footwork and punching technique is top stuff. So impressive and Barao looks like a ghost of the monster he was two years ago. I don't think TJ is in that unbeatable category yet, because he's still very hittable. I'd love, love to see Cruz get a crack at him. Would definitely be the best footwork we've ever seen. Looking at the top 10, he's probably the only guy I'd give a good chance in beating TJ other than Assuncao. Who knows how Dominick's recovered though.

We'll see if it's the weight cut when Renan inevitably moves up to 145. I'm not so sure.

The thing about featherweight is there are more hitters and wrestlers there. He isn't coming in with the physical advantage he had when he was fighting in the WEC and early on in the UFC run. He'll smash the Darren Elkins of the world. Now the top six or seven guys? After watching his last three fights, it's going to be rough day at the office. Some of the technical errors he makes when it comes to his punches are going to be exposed even more frequently.

He's "only" 28 though. I know that's end of the peak fighting years, but I'm surprised to see him lose his weight cutting ability at a fairly early age with all things considered. 

It actually happens in boxing more frequently because you have 19-23 year old Olympians fighting at the same or near the weight they fought in the Olympics. Once they can actually afford food, they pig out between fights because they aren't fighting every week. Plus, they usually take advantage of 1 and 2 pound allowances when they're fighting club fighters in 4, 6, and 8 rounders. This takes up about 2-3 years of their career at least. So by the time they win a title in their weight division, they're already 15-20 pounds above the weight class on fight night. At some point, you just can't do it anymore at any age.

Maybe TJ Dillashaw did really just take away Renan Barao's soul and fighting spirit in a way he can never get it back.  At the same time, if he wants to continue fighting, it is probably better if he does it fighting guys while not trying to kill himself making weight.  I think on FOX Sports one of the analysts mentioned that he even walks around heavier than Jose Aldo.

What killers are really littering the featherweight division throughout the top 15?  Dustin Poirier is now fighting at lightweight.  He probably wouldn't be fighting the likes of Frankie Edgar and Chad Mendes yet.  But what about the Clay Guidas and Tatsuya Kawajiris of the world?  I imagine he could take them.  Maybe he won't have a size advantage anymore, but how much does a size advantage really help if you are killing yourself to make the weight at this point and it's killing your cardio and zapping your strength?

Tate vs. Eye was a great fight that showed Tate's heart after getting rocked early in the fight then blasting Eye back in the chin. someone on Eye's team needs to coach her on keeping her chin too hit high after striking.

TJ vs. Barao as TJ said was just rounds 6-9 from the first fight again. It will be interesting to see who TJ's next fight will be against.

• Like 1

I'm fine for Rousey vs. Tate III. The first fight is my favourite women's MMA bout ever with one bad Armbar Tate managed to the escape and the fight ending one is wince inducing. The second fight was fun seeing how long Tate could survive.

Dillashaw vs. Barao 2 did a good rating (second to Gustafsson vs. Rumble in overall avg.) and had the highest peak of any Fox show this year at 3.8 million.

I think this makes it even more important to try to have Dillashaw vs. Cruz on Fox especially if Cruz wants to keep trash talking.

• Like 1

Will Cruz be able to fight before the end of the year?

You will pretty much need someone guaranteed on standby in the event he likely pulls out.

Well, they have some time to assess where he is at. The show isn't until 12/19 and doesn't even have a venue/location locked down yet. If there isn't any type of setback, they have some cushion to change their minds.