DVDVR Message Board

Favorite Version of a Wrestler's Character

RonL21

Great call on "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. He went from super entertaining to fairly bland after the character change (and hated Phantom of the Opera Rhodes because of that). I still think that there may be a big star in there, but at some point soon it needs to come back out. Rick Rude would not have been nearly the same if he dropped the Ravishing character early into his career.

I guess I have to be contrarian, but the only time I have had any interest in Cody Rhodes whatsoever was the Dr. Doom/Phantom of the Opera run.  Great character.  Every other stage in his career has just bezzzzzzzzz.

Oh, sorry, started thinking about non-masked Cody and feel asleep.

There isn't much from Rude's 1991-94 WCW run that isn't awesome. His heat at Superbrawl II in particular is nuclear with extra picante.

Superbrawl II is insane, there haven't been alot of guys(at least that I've seen), who could get a crowd going like that. . .expecially now.

HATED Crow Sting, and I think they should have paid it off by teasing Crow Sting at STarrcade 1997, then had him "forgive" WCw and come out in Surfer Sting outfit. . .couldn't have been any worse than what did happen.

Loved Stunning Steve, and much prefer that style of match. . though its not his fault as he brought it, up till the fucking "owen" driver. .

There has never been any gimmick that could make me care for Dustin Rhodes. . .a few WCW matches excluded.

Never been a huge Hogan fan, but his best look was early-mid 1980's when he was roiding, but still looked semi-natural. Compare photo's of IWGP Hogan to WMV Hogan, and you'll see the difference. . .

William Regal as insane KOTR and general manager of Raw was awesome for the 3 weeks it lasted. The pop when Kennedy beats him and he has to leave is huge which is directly because Regal was such a gigantic dickhead leading up to it. Him cutting off Cena/HHH right in the opening stretch is the high concept craziness that I support in the pro wrestling.

Is it too early to include "Backstage Bully" Ryback? Skip Sheffield didn't work out, Poor-man's Goldberg Ryback started out ok but quickly wore out when he was over-exposed in the main event. But post-Cena back-of-house employee-harrassing Ryback is fucking hilarious. I look forward to his segments every week, which is something I've never said about Ryback before. 

Is it too early to include "Backstage Bully" Ryback? Skip Sheffield didn't work out, Poor-man's Goldberg Ryback started out ok but quickly wore out when he was over-exposed in the main event. But post-Cena back-of-house employee-harrassing Ryback is fucking hilarious. I look forward to his segments every week, which is something I've never said about Ryback before. 

That shower segment was the possibly the most ridiculous re-enactment of the movie "Shane" ever filmed. This includes Bill Hicks.

Mind you, that's not an insult.

That shower segment was the possibly the most ridiculous re-enactment of the movie "Shane" ever filmed. This includes Bill Hicks.Mind you, that's not an insult.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Someone said in another thread that their favorite version of Hulk Hogan was 2002 "over the hill but could still bring the 85 out sometimes" Hogan and that's my favorite version as well. 

That was me. It was the most compelling that Hogan had been in forever.

I look forward to John Cena's version of this character in 2024. 

I was just watching a ton of '90-'93 WCW, and Rick Rude is like the coolest dude ever. He's impossible to root against. The goofy-yet-catchy "Simply Ravishing" theme, the awesome tights, the Rude Awakening which is one of my favorite finishers ever...everything about that era of Rick Rude was so great. 

Is it too early to throw out WWE-superface Daniel Bryan?

I still prefer asshole ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson, but let's see where they go with this current storyline.

Danielson announcing that he would not be using The Final Countdown by Europe as his entrance theme during the ROH European tour because no one in Europe deserved to hear The Final Countdown was fucking epic.

Is it too early to throw out WWE-superface Daniel Bryan?

I still prefer asshole ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson, but let's see where they go with this current storyline.

Danielson announcing that he would not be using The Final Countdown by Europe as his entrance theme during the ROH European tour because no one in Europe deserved to hear The Final Countdown was fucking epic.

God that whole run was amazing.

• Like 1