DVDVR Message Board

Favorite Version of a Wrestler's Character

RonL21

I'll throw one more out there- 1988 Varsity Club Mike Rotundo.  Loved that gimmick so much better than anything else he ever did.

The whole Varsity Club gimmick was great.  The first time around, that is.  The less said about the Russo version, the better.

Started to even get a little watered down with Spivey.  I loved Rotundo and Steiner though.  Rotundo didn't want the Florida belt anymore?  Fuck it, he'll just give it to Steiner.  

Whoever said Rock is a terrible babyface is bang wrong. By 2000 he was a really good working babyface, super sympathetic seller and timed his comebacks really well. And charismatic of course. I always found his character annoying though, so my favourite version of the Rock is probably sporadic comeback Rock. I can just appreciate him more that way.

I solely meant as a character, not in-ring.  His babyface character is fucking horrible.

My favorite all time character incarnations were all pretty recent and all, with the exception of Sasuke and a little bit of Batista's previous work, guys I outright thought were insufferable turdlings before and after the great run.

Double J Double MA Jeff Jarrett

Paranoid Schizophrenic Homeless Guy R-Truth (before the face turn)

Team Hell No Kane

Beyond Douchebag Batista

Aging, Incompetent Crash Test Dummy Comedy Great Sasuke in Dragon Gate

Actually, a shit ton of Dragon Gate runs and gimmicks, now that I think about it. Like Genki Horiguchi the entire time when he was in Muscle Outlaw'z  and was the World's Most Entertaining Match Interferer. I need to get back on that DG bandwagon.

Heel Jericho in WCW

Shane Douglas in ECW from 1994-1996 before he lost 3/4 of his vocabulary and replaced it with variations of "fuck"

Rick Rude in WCW

Sting late 95-1996 once he started letting his hair grow out and he was doing the team with Luger, speaking of which

Luger in 95-96 where he was a babyface when Sting was around and when he wasn't he was a dick

Keiji Mutoh during his big comeback and revitalization when I first got into Puro

Davey's heel run in WWF

I agree with Hogan's WWE return which was pretty fucking fun and lead to some matches I never ever thought I'd see Hulk involved in

I could very well be alone in this, but I enjoyed D-Lo as European champion.

I think everybody loved D'Lo around that time.

Co-signed. My buddy and I actually got to talking about this not that long ago and discovered that despite us going to different high schools in different states with totally different friends D'Lo was THE most popular wrestler in both schools aside from Rock or Austin. I absolutely remember kids doing the head bobble and I want to say we even played his music at high school games or pep rallies.

This opinion was futher solidifed 2 weeks ago when the same friend was on a show with D'Lo over Fanfest weekend and when "You're looking at the real deal now..." hit the place EXPLODED. 

• Like 1

Oh wow, there are so many to choose from....a few recent ones:

KING BOOKAH

Commentator CM Punk (a.k.a. Men's Wharehouse CM Punk)

"Dashing" Cody Rhodes (mainly for the theme song and promos on beauty tips)

Phantom of the Opera Cody Rhodes (that version of his theme song was just so much better)

Winking ADR

Racist Big Show

David Otunga, Attorney At Law

Sexy Repairman Dolph

Crazy R-Truth

• Like 1

"Deadman Inc." era Undertaker. We're in his yard. He's gonna make us famous.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin when he was the "robotic redneck" & coming out to the Disturbed theme.

Raven in WCW in the U.S. title division. Even above his entire ECW run.

Chris Jericho with Ralphus as a mid-card heel in WCW. Pretty much the only time I ever liked him.

C.M. Punk as the Charles Manson like leader of the Straight Edge Society. I miss Serena too.

What's the best version of Sid? I fucking loved Survivor Series '96 Sid but that version ended with him shitting in Taker's face as he receives a Tombstone. Shirley, he must lose points for that.

• Like 1

Greg Valentine as a heel in the NWA.  From the time he broke Wahoo's leg to the Piper feud in '83.

"Stunning" Steve Austin as WCW TV Champ.  Neutral about the Stone Cold character.

Bret Hart's as a pro-Canadian whiner in the late 90's WWF

Rick Steamboat pre-WWE/pre-the Dragon.  Great team with Youngblood.

Samoan Swat Team in WCW with Paul E. as their manager.  Really well booked for about six months, till Paul E. left.

Randy Savage as an angry feral beast in Memphis.  Though any Savage pre-WCW is pretty great.

The first heel run of the Lane/Eaton Midnight Express in JCP

Nikita Koloff's first run in JCP.  Face turn + hair - steroids ruined him.

JYD & Jim Duggan as top faces in Mid South before their WWF runs as a lunchbox character and a drooling idiot.

The Flair/Arn/Ole/Tully IV Horsemen.  Should never have been a Horsemen w/o Tully.  Most natural heel in the IV.

Shawn Michaels first singles run in the WWF (the "Boy Toy" run w/ Sherri)

Heel Ted DiBiase in mid South.  The Million Dollar Man character was great too.

Glen Jacob's brief run in Smoky Mountain as Unabomb.  Only time he's been interesting to me.

Jeff Hardy as masked Will o' the Wisp in Omega.  Never been a big fan of his, but this was fun.

Curt Hennig after the heel turn in AWA.  Just barely edges out Mr. Perfect in my book.

Mike Shaw as "Makhan Singh" in Stampede.  Brilliant as Singh, barely average before or after.

Jeff Jarrett's early heel run in the WWF.  Making his Memphis heel persona more cartoony worked, for a change.

The first Stud Stable run in Continental, when it was just Jimmy Golden and the Fullers together.

I started to add Rick Rude's and Roddy Piper's names to the list, but couldn't decide on just one run.  I cooled on Piper after his first couple year's the WWF, but he was a heat machine as a babyface or heel during the late 70's and 80's.  His late 70's stuff with the Guerrero family in California is top notch,

I don't think I've ever disliked Rude.  I wouldn't put the JCP run as my favorite (he was largely a tag wrestler with Manny Fernandez and Paul Jone's Army was just never a great stable).  I don't know that I want to pick between the Florida/WCCW runs (both managed by Pringle), the WWF run, or the WCW run.  Possibly the WCW run just because he had such great opponents to work with (Sting, Steamboat, Flair, etc.)

I don't think I've ever disliked Rude.  I wouldn't put the JCP run as my favorite (he was largely a tag wrestler with Manny Fernandez and Paul Jone's Army was just never a great stable).  I don't know that I want to pick between the Florida/WCCW runs (both managed by Pringle), the WWF run, or the WCW run.  Possibly the WCW run just because he had such great opponents to work with (Sting, Steamboat, Flair, etc.)

Mine is either his WWF run (after he cut his hair)  or his WCW run.  Both were awesome.

Crow Sting,

The Undertaker since his return as The Dead Man in March 2004, this version reminds me of some Big Evil aspects like the submissions and striking,

King Bookah!

MMA Jeff Jarrett,

Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipwreck,

Steve Austin from 1998,

Heel Batista at the end of his WWE run,

Hollywood Rock by far.