DVDVR Message Board

Favorite Version of a Wrestler's Character

RonL21

Someone said in another thread that their favorite version of Hulk Hogan was 2002 "over the hill but could still bring the 85 out sometimes" Hogan and that's my favorite version as well. So, that's where I got the idea of this thread.

Some of mine are:

Hollywood Rock

Heel Batista at the end of his WWE run

2001 Stone Cold

King Bookah

• Like 1

The Hogan character would have been awesome if they made it so that he didn't have it every week because he was past his prime. In fact, if they made it so that he was only VINTAGE HOGAN like once a month or something would have been cool. Almost like a baseball player who had a tremendous career but is now a pinch hitter and every once in a while gets into a pitch and just crushes it and looks like he's 28 again. Ditto for the NBA player who signs on with a title contender at the end of his career and every once in a while shows flashes of the player he was back in the day. But with Hogan, he got over and so they basically just made him Hulk Hogan except he looked older and moved slower but was still presented like he was in his prime (for the most part).

Although to a certain degree I get why they did what they did with Hogan. They tripped over a powder keg at WrestleMania, and so they elected to extract every red cent they could out of him while they could before it was over.

In that same timeframe, "Respect Me, Motherfucker" Bikertaker was a great little heel run in hindsight.

Pretty much any heel stint by The Rock.  People's Champ in the Nation, Corporate Champ, Hollywood...  I realize there are millions of fans and dollars to prove this wrong, but he was a fucking terrible babyface.

Stone Cold during the heel to face transition.  And during his 2001 heel run.

Goofy Kurt Angle.  Hell, all of team ECK/RECK.

I liked the BikerTaker character more so than the other versions of the Undertake, but for in ring ability, ShootTaker is better than the others.

Add me in the the group who thoroughly enjoyed Batista as Masahiro Chono.

Evil younger brother Owen Hart will always be my favorite Owen Hart, primarily because that version of him was one of the best heels ever. Plus, you know, "And that's why I kicked your leg out of your, uh, leg!"

The best Undertaker character is summer of 99 after the Corporate Ministry disbanded. The one who took Big Show out for a motorcycle ride in the desert with half a tank of gas, revoked Michael Cole's interviewing privileges weekly, and threatened to stab Jerry Lawler in the face. It was like halfway between the Deadman and Bikertaker and it was awesome. He got hurt a couple months into it, but even the way he left was great.

Chris Jericho: Crusierweight/TV champion. Not only one of the best comedic runs of all time, but it was probably the most credible in-ring stretch he ever had too. 

Second run whiny heel Michaels: He spent all but a month of his second run as a face, but outside of the Jericho feud, his best stretch was the one month he went vintage HBK on Hogan. I don't care what anyone says, that match was freakin' hilarious.

Best In The World Bryan Danielson: I love him as a babyface and it's much a more marketable character for him, but I still kinda miss him as a heel trolling ROH fans and dissecting guys with vicious mat-wrestling.

Positively Kanyon: Needs no explanation, but the time WCW just had a wide shot of the arena from the outside and Kanyon delivered a Kanyon cutter to some guy off in the distance that wasn't even acknowledged was a shining moment from 2000 WCW.

5 Second Pose E&C: MITB/GF-stealing Edge and wily veteran Christian are both close, but nothing tops their ridiculous segments in 2000. 3I's Kurt Angle was a natural fit with the group (although I liked his fired up babyface run in 01 and his shooter phase in 06 better) 

Recently-unmasked Kane: Might have been the funniest guy on the roster from 2003 to 2005. The Shane feud, the Matt Hardy feud, and the Edge feud were all brilliant, and he was key player two of the best WWE weddings ever (him and Lita and Edge/Lita)

I have a thing for comedic heels who play it totally straight, btw.

Conspiracy Victim/Unified TV Champion Chris Jericho was the best thing on WCW and better than all but the top 3-4 acts in WWE back in 1998. That year long run basically set up his entire career. Even though it sucked when he first came to WWF and tried to redo the gimmick with Howard Finkle playing the part of Ralphus.

I never hated WCW (I even bought their ppvs until the bitter end) but the fact they wouldn't even give Jericho a friggin' squash match against Goldberg after he single-handedly set up the most interesting angle Goldberg ever had in WCW pretty much convinced me those idiots deserved to go out of business.

• Like 3

TWO TIME Slammy Award Winner Owen Hart was the best. Heel Bret in WWF was too. 

Considering he literally had multiple versions we should talk Foley. OG Mankind was great, those skits were so awesome and then his interview with JR was gold later on. But is it better than Cactus Jack in ECW? Hmmmm...

Batista during his last run as a heel was better than anything else he ever did, it was pretty much the only time i was actually looking forward to him appearing on a show.

1998 Jericho it's still his most entertaining character ever.

Yes! Bryan is great for how crazy over he is, but 2005-2006 ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson was amazing to watch. He could be the biggest and most hated asshole ever one night and be cheered like a hero the next depending on who he was facing, and he made it work perfectly every single time. We got glimpses of dick Bryan during his run as champ last year, i'm hoping we can see it again at some point. Dick Bryan is best Bryan.

Second run whiny heel Michaels: He spent all but a month of his second run as a face, but outside of the Jericho feud, his best stretch was the one month he went vintage HBK on Hogan. I don't care what anyone says, that match was freakin' hilarious.

Yeah, I don't think the problem everyone has with that match is that it isn't funny.

Wasn't my favorite at the time but I really appreciate Eddie's run as sleazebag frenemy right before his death. He had to go so far out to get booed and then rode it all the way back.

Eddy Guerrero is my favorite wrestler.  Cheat to Win. 

I still want that T-shirt.

Really any smarmy heel Eddy works for me.  Him powerbombing Rey like he was trying to do a study about post-concussion syndrome, but couldn't find any volunteers was awesome(and kind of scary now). 

CM Punk as Straight Edge Jesus was pretty great.

Heel Eddy in WCW. He was able to convey not giving a shit about anyone in a convincing way. Heel Eddy in 05 was pretty great for this reason too.

Goofy Kurt Angle is the best Kurt Angle.

Crazy Old Man Flair from Taboo Tuesday 05 until the Foley Feud,. That cage match with HHH was awesome...and the TLC with Edge was awesome too.

Vince from the HBK feud up until he got blowed up. Vince vs. God,,,Vince as ECW Champion...Vince going uber batshit...then boom. What a helluva run.

• Like 1

Black-gloved Barry Windham was such a badass.  Before he joined the Horsemen, he was just a rich man's Sam Houston to me.  I was really looking forward to his next run in the WWF under that cool moniker "The Widowmaker".

Other characters I enjoyed were the bizarre Goldust, great American JBL, anti-America Bret Hart, DX HBK, Ministry Taker, suit-wearing/righteous Jericho, and Rated-R Edge.