DVDVR Message Board

NWAClassics.com streaming service - Paul Boesch Houston Library

goc

They are uploading matches way faster than the 1 a day they originally talked about. Since I posted that list they have put up:

Tony Atlas & Junkyard Dog vs. The Dynamic Duo 10/8/82
The Fantastics vs Bill Dundee/Dutch Mantell 8/4/85
Fantastics & Jim Duggan vs. Midnight Express & Jim Cornette
Brickhouse Brown vs. Dr Death Steve Williams
Hector & Chavo Guerrero vs. Jose Lothario & Al Madril
Tom Prichard vs. Tim Horner
Bunkhouse Brawl Battle Royal

If you are subscribed to this and haven't yet watched the Bunkhouse Battle Royal DO IT! It's so awesome! It even has some cool psychology with guys working to get Dr. Death's football helmet off him. Lots of swinging chairs & chains & blood and well what the fuck else do I need to say??? Here is a list of everything that's been put up since my last post.

Dick Slater vs Jake Roberts 1/31/86

Rock n Roll Express vs Dirty White Boys 3/22/85

Brad Armstrong vs Jack Victory 4/19/85

Magnum TA vs Ernie Ladd 8/3/84

Funks vs Wahoo/Putski - 1/23/81

Larry Lane vs Chavo Guerrero - 1/30/81
Tank Patton vs Scott Casey - 1/30/81

Mil Mascaras vs Mr. Hito - 2/1/80

Just want to say that after watching 4 tag matches with Hector & Chavo Guerrero they are one of the most unheralded tag teams of all time. Holy shit they are good! As babyfaces AND heels.

I've also watched 37 out of the 90 matches already in less than a month which should tell you how great this service is because it usually takes me a 8-9 months to get through one of the Best of the 80s sets.

So Bruce Tharpe tweeted this earlier:

NEW CONTENT from NWA Promotions coming to http://NWAClassics.com? Can it get any better? MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT soon!

This is pretty cool. I think this will only help them grow the service as it might get some subscriptions from people who are more interested in current indies than classic wrestling. It's also a good way to try and get people watching the classics stuff to follow a current NWA promotion and maybe buy a ticket and go see one if it's in their area.

Bruce Tharpe did an interview here: and I thought I'd just post this excerpt for people waiting on the Roku App

EM: I also heard you were doing tests with Roku. Any updates about that and when this service will be available on Roku?

RBT: It's going to be happening real soon. Let me tell you what the deal is. The way WWE did their network is they tested, developed it for about a year. Then they took six months testing before they launched it. So they had all these things developed and done. They had that luxury. This concept went from inception to reality in about four months. It's just basically me and a couple of other guys that are doing it. We don't have the WWE huge corporate machine (behind us). It really is a blessing we didn't have as many problems as we did.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's a taste of things to come over the next year. As far as I know we don't have a complete Tito Santana vs Bockwinkel match on video so far. We've already gotten, for instance, a brand new and really good Butch Reed vs Tito match. Then there are the two Slater matches, a Morton match, a Tommy Rich one, and that handicap with Heenan interacting with a 1982 JYD. Add in a Stevens tag, of which we have so few complete and with anything close to decent VQ and I'm super excited about those.

Here's what we have catalogued on Nick Bockwinkle - and it should all be there - we just have to find it - transfer the tape to Hi Def - and upload it to the NWAClassics.com Digital Television Network:

1 - Nick Bockwinkle vs. Bruiser Brody /  8-13-79

2 - Nick Bockwinkle vs. Scott Casey / 4-4-81

Scott Casey interview

3 - Nick Bockwinkle vs. Tito Santana / 11-20-81

Tito Santana interview

4 - Nick Bockwinkle vs. Tommy Rich / 3-26-82

Tommy Rich interview

5 - Nick Bockwinkle vs.  Dick Slater / 4-16-82

6 - Nick Bockwinkle vs.  Junkyard Dog / 5-14-82

7 - Nick Bockwinkle vs.  Ricky Morton / 7-02-82

Ricky Morton interview

8 - Nick Bockwinkle vs.  Dick Slater / 7-30-82

9 - Nick Bockwinkle vs.  Junkyard Dog / 9-24-82

10 - Nick Bockwinkle vs. Scott Casey / 10-01-82

Scott Casey interview

11 - Nick Bockwinkle vs. Tony Atlas / 10-22-82

Tony Atlas interview

12- Bonus Match: Nick Bockwinkle / Ray Stevens  vs.  Red Bastien / Ken Patera 6-08-74

Ken Patera interview

13 - Junkyard Dog  vs.  Bockwinkle / Heenan 6-11-82

For those people not paying attention, in the last week or so, they gave us a TA/Mr. Wrestling II vs MX match, an off the charts Fantastics vs MX one, an awesome Adrian Street/Miss Linda vs Dundee handicap match, and a fun Black Gordman competitive squash, amongst other things. All of those were matches that we'd never seen before, and that no one's seen in 30 years. I imagine that the first three would have done pretty damn well on the mid-south set too. 

Do they have complete shows or is this all just a bouillabaisse (HOLY FUCK I spelled that correctly without looking it up. I feel like the dancer in Arrow's sig) of matches?

As best as I can tell, and from what has been uploaded, they definitely had complete shows in the 80s. Usually they focus on a couple of cards each week, but it's all about when matches come back from the "process" and some matches are in better shape than others. I think there was some hesitation to air things without commentary at first, but they've gotten over that. A lot of times now, if they post a certain match on a Monday, then we can have some sense of some of what to expect for the rest of the week.

Deeper into the 70s, they might have less than full cards, but usually the undercards were weaker back then. I don't know that for a fact though. One thing that Tharpe says repeatedly is that Boesch did not put bad matches on TV. 

• Like 1

To further that point, we've gotten.

Rip Rogers vs Johnny Rich 7/29/83
Ron Garvin vs Missing Link 7/29/83
Chavo Guerrero vs Jesse Barr 7/29/83
Over the last couple of weeks, so it's possible we're going to get

7-29-83 Houston
Mil Mascaras drew AWA champ Nick Bockwinkel

JYD beat Butch Reed dq

Dusty Rhodes beat King Kong Bundy Taped Fist match

Hacksaw Duggan beat Ted Dibiase Texas Street fight

Tommy Rich beat Kamala

Chavo Guerrero beat Jesse Barr

Missing Link beat Ron Garvin

Steve Williams beat Boris Zurkov

Johnny Rich beat Rip Rogers

the top of that card. That said, the Mil vs Bock match isn't on Tharpe's list of Bockwinkel matches, who who the hell knows really. There's a science to it but it's all a little shaky. From that card, I can't imagine having Rip vs Johnny Rich but not Dusty vs King Kong Bundy. My impression is that they're still cataloging a bit.

Wahoo v. Spoiler was unbelievable. What is the consensus 1979 MOTY? Cause we have a new contender

I keep holding out on subscribing until it's available on Roku, but this might push me over the edge.  Does anyone know the current status of the Roku deal?

Tharpe said it's taking a lot longer than expected to work out the stuff with Cleeng & Roku and not to wait so probably coming in the next few weeks.

I've seen people say they've gotten it to work well with PS3/PS4 or Xbox360/One using the internal browsers on those consoles.

• 8 months later...

People should give NWAOnDemand.com a look. Classics rebranded. The navigation isn't going to win any awards but they're offering one week free right now and there's just an amazing library of matches up there, things people haven't seen for 30 years. In the last two days they posted a Johnny Valentine vs Bull Curry match from 69 that's awesome and a Jack Brisco vs Spoiler match from 79 that people need to see just to understand how amazing Spoiler was.

There's all sorts of stuff though. Bockwinkel vs Morton for the AWA title. Terry Funk vs Mark Lewin. RnR vs Midnight Express that was never released on tape. Brilliant Jose Lothario minimalism. Gino Hernandez being so good so young (they've posted a bunch of Gino/Tully tags lately too, including against Morton/Lucas, Mil/Santana, and Slater/Rich). 

Oh yeah, and later this week we're getting Terry Funk vs Harley Race, the first full singles match that's ever been released anywhere, maybe?

Bruce Thorpe was apparently at the Performance Center yesterday trying to sell the Houston library to the WWE so I hope you all enjoy this service while you can.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They just uploaded a 40+ minute Nick Bockwinkle v. Tito Santana match described this way

Bockwinkel vs Tito also 2 out of 3 - Nov 20, 1981 - prematch Bockwinkel promo - 39-minute runtime. This is probably the hardest-hitting Bockwinkel match I've seen so far. Tito is bleeding and Bockwinkel either has a cut on his leg or is covered with Tito's blood.

So that is a thing!!