DVDVR Message Board

NWAClassics.com streaming service - Paul Boesch Houston Library

goc

NWAClassics.com is $8.99 a month and the Roku app is currently in beta testing. The matches on the site all come from Paul Boesch's Houston library which was really one of the best wrestling cities in the World. Every big name wrestler you could think of came through Houston for at least one of it's weekly Friday night cards. This is a city that got to see both the AWA World Title defended by Nick Bockwinkel and the NWA World Title defended by Harley Race & Ric Flair. This is a list of every match that is currently on the site.

Andre vs Tank Patton 1/2/81
Barry Orton vs. Lanny Poffo 5-25-84 
Bandolier Death Match: Hector & Chavo Guerrero vs. Ted Dibiase & Dr. Death Steve Williams 7/12/85
Barbarian John Nord vs. Shawn Michaels 3/22/85
Barry Orton vs. Dr. Death Steve Williams 6/8/84
Two Ring Battle Royal  12/27/84
Brad Armstrong vs. One Man Gang 3/22/85
 Buddy Landell vs Butch Reed - Shoe Shine Match 12/27/84

Butch Reed vs. Dutch Mantell 7/26/85
Butch Reed vs. Kamala 7/12/85
Danny McShain vs Bull Curry
Cage MatchTed DiBiase & Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Hector & Chavo Guerrero 7/26/85
 Nightmare vs Dick Murdoch 10/11/85
Dick Murdoch vs. Al Perez 10/11/85
Funks vs Lothario/Mascaras 1/7/79
Jim Duggan, Junkyard Dog & Tito Santana vs. Butch Reed, Krusher Krushev & Nikolai Volkoff 1/27/84

Dusty Rhodes vs. Mark Lewin 1/7/79
Fantastics vs Eddie Gilbert/Jerry Grey 7/26/85
Gino Hernandez vs. Bob Markus
Gino Hernandez vs. Ivan Putski 2/6/81
Gino Hernandez vs Ox Baker 1/7/79
Gino Gernandez, Gran Markus & Killer Tim Brooks vs. Jose Lothario, El Halcon & Mil Mascaras
Hacksaw Duggan vs Ted Dibiase
Iceman King Parson vs. Dale Veasey - 1/18/85
Jake Roberts vs. Terry Daniels - 3/22/85
Jake Roberts & Nord the Barbarian vs. Brickhouse Brown & Mark Reagan 7/26/85
Jake Roberts/Duggan vs Nightmare/Lord Humongous 10/11/85
Texas Death Match: Gino Hernandez vs. Jose Lothario 1/7/79
Kamala & Kareem Muhammad vs. Jim Duggan & Cowboy Bill Watts 7/26/85
Kerry Von Erich vs Gino Hernandez  12/27/84
Kevin Von Erich vs. Chris Adams
Krusher Kruschev vs. Jay Youngblood 6/8/84
Magnum TA vs Butch Reed 8/31/84
Mark Reagan vs. Pat Rose 5-25-84 
Nick Kozak vs. Bull ramos 1/7/79
NWA Title Match: Harley Race vs Andre  1/7/79
NWA Title Match: Terry Taylor vs. Ric Flair 5/3/85
NWA Title Match: Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel 7/12/85
Rematch: NWA Title Match: Wahoo McDaniel vs. Ric Flair 7/26/85
Rock N Roll Express vs. Buddy Landell & Masao Ito 5/25/84
Rock n Roll Express &Hacksaw Duggan vs Dibiase/Doc/Hercules  12/27/84
Rock N Roll Express & Jose Lothario vs. Hector & Chavo Guerrero & Buddy Landell 1/18/85
Sonny King vs. Masao Ito 6/8/84
Superstar Graham vs Tiger Conaway Jr. 2/7/79
Ted DiBiase vs. Bob Sweetan 10/11/85
Wahoo McDaniel vs Terry Funk / Wahoo McDaniel vs. Gino Hernandez (2/6/81)
Terry Taylor vs. Dr Death Steve Williams  8/31/84
Vicki Williams vs. Leilani Kai
Fritz/Kerry/Kevin Von Erich vs Dick Murdoch/White Knight/Gary Hart
Waldo Von Erich vs. Dory Dickson
Steve Williams vs Hector Guerrero 10/11/85

Interviews:

Wahoo McDaniels talks to Joe Blanchard about his upcoming NWA Title match with Harley Race

Wahoo McDaniels interviewed by Paul Boesch about his football career

Tully Blanchard interview w/ Paul Boesch

Scott Casey interview w/ Paul Boesch

Gino Hernandez interview w/Paul Boesch

Andre the Giant interview w/Paul Boesch

Chavo Guerrero interview w/Paul Boesch - Chavo gives Boesch some hot sauce straight from the Guerrero kitchen

First update:
Little Tokyo vs. Little Coco 8/18/85
Gino Hernandez vs. Nick Kozak 9/8/78
Dusty Rhodes & Sweet Leroy Brown vs. Gary Hart & Killer Karl Krupp 9/8/78
Lumberjack Match: Kamala vs. Butch Reed 3/22/85
Loser Leaves Town Tuxedo Cage Match w/Coal Miner's Glove on a Pole: Ted DiBiase vs. Jim Duggan 3/22/85
Butch Reed vs. Eddie Gilbert 8/4/85
Rock N Roll Express vs. Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death Steve Williams
Rocky Johnson vs. Bruiser Brody 9/8/78

Updates

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA 6/28/85

Bounty Match Kerry Von Erich vs Kamala 5/3/85

Ghetto Street Fight JYD vs Butch Reed 6/22/84

Hacksaw Duggan & The Rock n Roll Express vs. Ernie Ladd & The Midnight Express 6/8/84

Dog Collar Match: Junkyard Dog vs.  Butch Reed 7/20/84

Scaffold Match: The Rock n Roll Express vs The Midnight Express 11/23/84

Terry Taylor vs Jake Roberts 4/19/85

Current list of matches I have watched from NWAClassics.com that I have watched and whether I would recommend checking them out

Ted DiBiase vs Hacksaw Jim Duggan - Loser Leaves Town, Tuxedo Cage with Coal Miner's Glove On A Pole Match - You should buy a subscription just to see this match!

Buddy Landell vs Butch Reed - Shoe Shine Match - I can't recommend this enough for all the post match stuff. Some of the most enjoyable wrestling "BS" you'll ever see. If this doesn't make you laugh out loud then....well it damn well SHOULD!

Little Tokyo vs. Little Coco - I am a mark for midget matches from the 80s but I still think this should be enjoyable for everyone. Watch this.

Rock N Roll Express vs. Buddy Landell & Masao Ito - This is a really fun RNR Express match. It's formula but their formula was great and Landell & Ito make an interesting team.

Butch Reed vs. Dutch Mantel - Great performance by both guys even if the match was only good. If that makes sense. Still definitely worth your time.

Mark Reagan vs. Pat Rose - This is actually a pretty darn good match. Watch this to see how good Pat Rose was at getting 7 minutes out of a green babyface that someone wanted him to make look good.

Dick Murdoch vs. Al Perez - Another match where a veteran gets a good match out of a young guy who might not be that good. I enjoyed this, I would say it's worth the 8-9 minutes of your time.

Sonny King vs. Masao Ito - I enjoyed this although it was a bit slow at times. I like Masao Ito and Sonny King is perfectly acceptable here. Borderline but I still would recommend it.

Magnum TA vs. Butch Reed - I'd like to recommend this one to you, but I can't. Just not enough meat in this match for how long it was.

Butch Reed vs. Kamala - I usually like these two against each other but after Reed kicked his ass at the beginning this one just felt like one long Kamala nerve hold. Finish stunk also. Not recommended.

Jim Duggan, Junkyard Dog & Tito Santana vs. Butch Reed, Krusher Krushev & Nikolai Volkoff - I was so hype to see this match. It's really not very good. It's elimination style and all the eliminations kind of suck.

I think that's everything I've seen so far. If you want me to watch a match that's up and review it shout them out. I have only watched 11 matches so far but I already feel like I got my $9 worth for the month and as you can see, it's not like I have been picking the biggest main event matches to watch.

We all know the NWA Wildside footage is being held onto until the day it can be traded for a big pile of meth or best offer.

Are there any other territories out there that Vince hasn't bought the rights to already that could wind up here, or is the Houston stuff probably it? Just curious.

I am not sure if WWE ever bought the St. Louis library?

I don't know who owns the Southwest Championship Wrestling footage (except that it's not WWE) but there seems to be a decent amount of it out there.

Vince will probably own the Houston footage within a couple of years. Especially if this takes off.

I'm honestly surprised that Vince hasn't purchased the rights to the NWA yet. He already owns most of their history. Having the trademark might open some doors for marketing it, I assume. 

Well considering the Houston footage is now owned by the NWA President himself, they'll probably need to come up with a much better offer than what they did the first time around. So I would say the only way they end up with this footage is if the service fails to stay alive, not if it takes off.

They just recently updated the site and the new update includes:

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA 6/28/85

Bounty Match Kerry Von Erich vs Kamala 5/3/85

Ghetto Street Fight JYD vs Butch Reed 6/22/84

Hacksaw Duggan & The Rock n Roll Express d. Ernie Ladd & The Midnight Express 6/8/84

Hasn't usership studies shown that the classic stuff is the least-watched stuff on the Network? If Vince can't get it for a song, he may wonder what it's really worth to him.

Yea, I don't see this suddenly going away because WWE make some huge offer to buy the library. The only reason NWAClassics exists right now is because WWE were giving insultingly low offers to the Boesch family.

The footage has way more value to the NWA right now than WWE, especially since it's not like WWE is going to do anything with it except sit on it and never show it. Eventually if the service takes off, I expect them to expand to VOD of current NWA shows or even live streaming.

Economically, it might be worth very little. If it takes off though, I see Vince making an offer because it will have proven the marketability of a classic wrestling based subscription service. It'd be neat also to see a comprehensive "History of the NWA" documentary while a lot of the people who can tell the story are still alive. 

As neat as this looks right now, I'm not sure if it justifies the price tag. Let's face it, some of the best NWA moments are locked in the WWE vault. You can't have a proper NWA Classics service without Crockett, World Class, Florida or Mid-South. I'm hopeful that it does well because it might push Vince to put some more classic NWA stuff on the Network 

I have the service, I am watching the matches and yes it justifies the price tag. All the biggest names worked Houston. There are another 1,000 plus matches that they have in the library that haven't been uploaded yet.

I have the service, I am watching the matches and yes it justifies the price tag. All the biggest names worked Houston.

I might look into giving it a shot for a couple of months. Any idea if they're going to upload full shows? It'd be neat to follow the storylines of the time and see how things progressed. 

They haven't said anything about uploading full shows. Not sure if they ever plan on uploading the weekly Houston TV or if they those at all. But this is a list of Houston cards from the time period that they started uploading (78-79) to the end. There's so many big names & interesting matchups in there.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/31436-houston-wrestling-results-nwa-classics-research/

I don't really follow sales for DVDs, but I'd imagine that they have fallen off the cliff.

If historical footage isn't driving network subs, isn't selling DVDs any longer, and isn't generating revenue from Netflix or other streaming services, I don't see why Vince would buy it. Between AWA, World Class, Mid-South, Florida, WCW, and Crockett, he's gotten most of the best footage sewn up for important career retrospectives and historical pieces.

As far as I'm concerned, the more stuff that stays in the quasi-public domain on free streaming the better.

I don't really follow sales for DVDs, but I'd imagine that they have fallen off the cliff.

If historical footage isn't driving network subs, isn't selling DVDs any longer, and isn't generating revenue from Netflix or other streaming services, I don't see why Vince would buy it. Between AWA, World Class, Mid-South, Florida, WCW, and Crockett, he's gotten most of the best footage sewn up for important career retrospectives and historical pieces.

As far as I'm concerned, the more stuff that stays in the quasi-public domain on free streaming the better.

Well free streaming is a bit much to expect when they have to pay all the costs of having the footage converted & maintain the website.

Are there any other territories out there that Vince hasn't bought the rights to already that could wind up here, or is the Houston stuff probably it? Just curious.

South Eastern/Continental/Knoxville is out there.

That's true, although I have no idea if there are any masters of that stuff. I've heard that David Woods (the last owner of Continental, the guy who bought it from Ron Fuller) has masters of all the Continental era but who knows. I don't think anything of Southeastern exists outside of what people taped on their VCRs.

I watched a few more matches this morning including the Ghetto Street Fight between Junkyard Dog & Butch Reed that was just awesome. Man the crowd was HOT for that match.

If people want WWE Network to ever upload some of their territory footage, then they need to help make this thing a success. Because if this fails it just strengthens WWE's "no one cares about old footage" attitude.

That's not to mention how awesome some of the matches are that they've uploaded so far and that it's totally worth the $8.99 all on it's own.

I've really enjoyed the content they've been airing. I wish they could provide more detail on the match dates though. I noticed in the introductions the original music was still intact. Maybe getting Jim Ross or even Jim Cornette to add in new commentary would be cool.

I'm guessing in time the service will be airing content from the various NWA affiliates in operation today. What I'd really like to see is the service being used to broadcast the other tape libraries not owned by WWE.

With any luck, we'll get the infamous Bockwinkel/Mascaras match that led to a cover story on an Apter mag ("The Night Mil Mascaras Won the AWA title", something like that) and the supershow that was supposed to have all three world titles defended on it but one of the champs no-showed (Race, I Think).