DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 72: Bisping vs. Leites (7/18/2015) - Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom (The SSE Hydro)

Elsalvajeloco

CKAwq12VAAAzWET.jpg

UFC Fight Night 72: Bisping vs. Leites

July 18, 2015

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom (The SSE Hydro)

Michael Bisping (185) vs. Thales Leites (185) - Bisping, DEC (split)

Ross Pearson (155) vs. Evan Dunham (156) - Dunham, DEC (unanimous)

Joseph Duffy (155) vs. Ivan Jorge (154) - Duffy, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (3:05)

Joanne Calderwood (115) vs. Cortney Casey (114) - Calderwood, DEC (unanimous)

Leon Edwards (169)  vs. Paweł Pawlak (170) - Edwards, DEC (unanimous)

Steven Ray (155) vs. Leonardo Mafra (155) - Ray, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:30)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Patrick Holohan (126) vs. Vaughan Lee (126) - Holohan, DEC (unanimous)

Ilir Latifi (206) vs. Hans Stringer (205) - Latifi, KO (punches), R1 (0:56)

Mickael Lebout (155) vs. Teemu Packalén (155) - Lebout, DEC (unanimous)

Robert Whiteford (146) vs. Paul Redmond (145) - Whiteford, TKO (punches), R1 (3:04)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Marcus Brimage (136) vs. Jimmie Rivera (135) - Rivera, TKO (punches), R1 (1:29)

Daniel Omielańczuk (242) vs. Chris De La Rocha (245) - Omielańczuk, TKO (punches), R1 (0:48)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Steven Ray
Performance of the Night: Joseph Duffy

Fight of the Night: Joanne Calderwood vs. Cortney Casey

Attendance: 10,451

Gate: $1.5 million

Rating: 508,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Daniel Omielańczuk vs. Konstantin Erokhin - Injury to Erokhin

Marcus Brimage vs. Ian Entwistle - Injury to Entwistle

Jake Matthews vs. Mickael Lebout - Injury to Matthews

Joanne Calderwood vs. Bec Rawlings - Injury to Rawlings (femoral stress fracture)

Anybody think Leites has a chance to beat Bisping tomorrow? He has been going for it ever since he got back in the UFC. I would safely assume Bisping would've beaten Leites during his first UFC run. Not sure if it's still the case with me.

Guest Edwin

Anybody think Leites has a chance to beat Bisping tomorrow? He has been going for it ever since he got back in the UFC. I would safely assume Bisping would've beaten Leites during his first UFC run. Not sure if it's still the case with me.

Absolutely. Leites has been a beast since his return. I think he has a chance of beating Bisping if he can take him down and using his BJJ to keep a dominant position. I wouldn't even be surprised if he got finished the fight.

Glad Jimmie Rivera was brought back. He's such a talented prospect at 135 lbs.

This crowd is fantastic. Am I the only one who dislikes the lame UFC/arena people who awkwardly try to force fighters to stay in the cage after fights, sometimes over aggressively so? I'm just catching up on the prelims but, so far 3/3 including the early prelims.

edit: As for the main event, I've watched Leites' fights since his return the past few days as well as Bisping's last 5 or 6 and I say Thales certainly has a chance. He's got decent power in his fists and can take a lot of damage (which is good because even though his stand-up has improved on the offensive side, he's still a really easy target), so I could see him rocking the ever-so-rockable Bisping and getting him on the ground before putting him away with a sub. I'd say Bisping by decision is the likeliest outcome though, because Thales doesn't have the greatest gas tank and Bisping's TD defense is fantastic. Only way I see Leites getting it to the ground is if he hurts Bisping.

I like how Stann pointed out the stupidity of having your whole camp in America and then bringing none of the trainers who saw you train to the fight. This was just moments before Leonardo Mafra got completely wiped out by Stevie Ray.

Absolutely. Leites has been a beast since his return. I think he has a chance of beating Bisping if he can take him down and using his BJJ to keep a dominant position. I wouldn't even be surprised if he got finished the fight.

Glad Jimmie Rivera was brought back. He's such a talented prospect at 135 lbs.

Just watched Rivera vs. Brimage before the FS1 main card opener. So I guess Marcus Brimage is the guy now where if you're better than decent, you can absolutely bomb on him and move up the ladder. If you don't, then you don't belong in the UFC. I'm fine with that litmus test.

• Like 2

I think he somehow simultaneously fought the best AND worst fight he could against Bisping. He was staying in Bisping's face and timing his takedowns well early on. Plus, he managed to hurt Bisping a few times. Despite all this, Bisping had a much better gameplan. He let Leites stalk him around the cage and played the counter game effectively. Leite kept following and Bisping kept on with the low kicks and jab/right hand. It was so predictable yet Leites gave Bisping enough distance to pull it off. Everytime he found himself hurt and/or against the cage, Bisping got away and broke Leites' momentum. Leites has clearly gotten better, but his mental approach to this fight was lacking. It was clear that Bisping was going to win a decision if it kept going that way after two rounds, and Leites needed a stoppage. He stepped off the gas and allowed Bisping to stay in it.

• Like 2

That's why he'll probably be a good not great fighter for another 3-5 years, hanging around the 10-15 spots in the ranking. Between his cardio (which has improved but still not enough), poor defense, and poor strategy, he can't break through the glass ceiling. His power, ability to take a lot of damage, and great ground game will keep him afloat as a good gatekeeper type. 

Just watched the rest of the main card. On Fight Pass, you get to see Ivan Jorge walk out to the '60s Batman theme song as he mean mugs the camera. Priceless. Joanne looked dead in the water in the first minute or so of her fight but turned it around nicely. Very entertaining fight and while Stann went a little too hard in nailing what a gutsy performance Casey delivered when it was obvious she was about to lose, full credit to her and I hope she smashes some of those lame TUF alumnae in the future.

UFC is riding a nice streak of entertaining shows. Only stinker on the card was Dunham/Pearson. That crowd was excellent throughout.

Next week's Fox show looks like it could be great. Barboza vs. Felder has FOTYC potential and Gomi vs. Lauzon could be a beautiful trainwreck.

• Like 2

The UK broadcast was on tape delay, but they showed the post-match interviews after the main event. Did you see the state of Bisping's toe? We did. Half of it was hanging off, looked like the flesh split all the way down to the bone.

Eh, Smolka has a few wins now.  Probably not a bad match-up for him now as he tries to move up.

I had the main event 2-2 going into Round 5.  I think it was close, but Leites should've stopped shaking his head whenever Bisping tagged him and tried to be a little more active.  He was clearly doing some damage, but whatever.  IMHO, one of those fights that could've gone either way

Very happy for my muse Jojo Calderwood.  She had a fun fight with Sanchez.  Honestly thought it could've been stopped in the last round. Hope gets a big fight lined up next.