DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: NECRO BUTCHER

RIPPA

Today is another one of those big wrestling birthday days. So yes - I could have picked Sean Waltman but I didn't want to deal with 59252 NWO and DX videos. Akira Hokuto (if I haven't picked already) will so up in a Rippa Loves week and I already did Hercules Ayala. That leaves us with Necro Butcher

Of course - finding Necro matches that don't irritate me is another matter

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6sh9u_necro-butcher-vs-the-predator-part_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6shbs_necro-butcher-vs-the-predator-part_sport

I believe you picked Akira Hokuto in a previous Rippa Loves X week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmwxol65Pk

US Army filters hate Dailymotion.  I hope I am not posting a repeat.

I wouldnt dream of going to youtube or dailymotion on a work computer. I dont need an unpaid vacation.

Sadly, it appears the necro vs stoker ichikawa match from the first american Dragon Gate show in LA is not on youtube.

My introduction to Necro was the match vs Yoshiaki Yago at Chikara's trios tournament.  My friends and I were watching them chop the crap out of each other and then Necro hit that headbutt that sounded like two pool balls hitting each other.  That was...something else.

• Like 1

Necro vs. Low-Ki, one of my favorites

Is that the one where Ki knocked out Necro with one of his Kawada-wannabe kicks?  I remember the Butcher saying in an interview that it was the single hardest strike he's ever taken, and the only time he's ever been knocked out in a match.  (Geez, Brandon, lighten up.)  

Speaking of lighting up, Necro was also in the circle at the only time I ever saw weed casually smoked by an entire locker room in the booker's office.  Although, oddly enough, the man himself was clearly the smartest guy in the room, funny and articulate and eloquent and kind, just an overall great dude.  This was back around 2002 or so in Evansville, Necro was one of several IWA-MS guys who worked at this giant theater on Wednesday nights.  I remember him one time doing a Flair Formula match with Necro selling the leg against a gooseshit-green trainee in one of his first matches, which was pretty neat.  I also remember him, Madman Pondo and Corporal Robinson stripping the ring down to its bare boards before having a no-padding deathmatch, which was at least pretty memorable.  

Yeah - all the shit with stupid bumps or blood stay up no problem

All the fun shit gets yanked immediately

You ain't lying, son.  But I found a couple of little gems anyway.  

First of all: ever curious about what Necro Butcher versus the Great Muta might look like?  So were the ICP, I guess, because it happened on a Juggalo show: 

And I know Tommy Dreamer is a guy the internet seems no longer fond of, but seriously, check the following match out.  It's what I call a "softcore" match; it gives the illusion of being a brutally hardcore brawl to the uninitiated fan, but it's clearly the family-friendly version of these guys' typical routines.  There's no blood, the weapons shots are mostly worked and worked well, there's nary a single finisher being kicked out of; and there's plenty of stooging, stalling, and selling to make the most Memphis-house-show-ish of matches possible between two infamously blood-soaked brawlers of the new school.  It's everything that you wish 90% of Necro's matches would be like.  (There is ONE stupid dangerous bump, but at least it has the good sense to be at the finish.)  

And finally, why not some comedy?  Here's one reason I'll always be glad Ring Of Honor exists: despite all their honorable hype of honorable main events which end with honorable trips to the emergency room, sometimes they'll put on some stuff which is just plain fun.  Like this match right here, a goofy six-man with Cesaro, Jimmy Rave, and Ernie Osiris against Necro, Colt, and Grizzly Redwood (my personal favorite dollar-store Spike Dudley).  Shoes are rampantly removed with reckless abandon as Necro and Grizzly try their damnedest to be the next generation's Bushwackers in this bizarre but fun match.  And oh yeah, the Butcher eats a wasp (don't ask, just watch).  

Even if I perversely used to enjoy his work of various types in the past, fuck him for the shit he turned into and what he did to his woman, there's no way I'd watch anything he does anymore or since. He's basically a joke to most people at this point.

What happened again? All I remember is him going after his wife when drunk saying she was sleeping with Jushin Liger, but vaguely remember some worse shit some time after.

An unbiased version of the story probably doesn't exist, but here is a link to Necro's statement about the situation with responses from his ex-wife in the comments section.