DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR Movie-Watcher Questionnaire

caley

1. Where did you grow up, and what was it like?

Orlando Florida. Big city in a Hispanic neighborhood that was pretty dangerous.

2. Was anyone else in your family into movies? If so, what effect did they have on your moviegoing tastes?

My mother was huge into old movies. She got me hooked on TCM and HBO. My dad got me hooked on Action movies even though he isn't a big movie guy. I only went to a handful of movies when I was a kid. The one I remember the most is going to see Mr. Holland's opus with my grandmother and sneaking in raisins and carrots.

3. What's the first movie you remember seeing, and what impression did it make on you?
I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast in elementary school in like 2nd or 3rd grade.

4. What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it."

Schindler's list.

5. What's the first movie you ever walked out of?
I haven't walked out of any movie that I can remember. Almost walked out of Movie 43 but I just couldn't do it since I paid for it..

6. What's the funniest film you've ever seen?

Anchorman.

7. What's the saddest film you've ever seen?
Old Yeller or Dear Zachary. I remember seeing Old Yeller in like 5th grade and balling my eyes out at the end. My mother was so pissed the school showed that.

8. What's the scariest film you've ever seen?

Jesus Camp

9. What's the most romantic film you've ever seen?

Bridges of Madison Country

10. Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?
Schindler's list

11. What movie have you seen more times than any other?

Death Wish. My favorite movie of all time I would say.

12. What was your first R-rated movie, and did you like it?
I was looking up Ace Ventura which I thought was R but was just PG-13. I remember seeing that at my dad's house and my mother went balistic when she found out. I was about 7 or 8 at the time. I don't remember really..

13. What's the most visually beautiful film you've ever seen?

Homeward bound

14. Who are your favorite leading men, past and present?
Charles Bronson, Steven Segal, Robert Redford, Paul Newman. Currently it's Robert Downey Jr

15. Who are your favorite leading ladies, past and present?
Michelle pfeffier, Barbara Stanwyck, Pam Grier, Jane Fonda. Currently it's Scarlett Johansson

16. Who's your favorite modern filmmaker?

No idea. Maybe Adam Mckay or Seth macfarlane?

17. Who's your least favorite modern filmmaker?

Tyler Perry

18. What film do you love that most people seem to hate?
The Jackass movies

19. What film do you hate that most people love?
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because of the circumstances in which you saw it.

My friend and I went to the movies one afternoon. The only one playing was Movie 43 which going in I had no idea what it was supposed to be about. It was us, this old couple and some young woman who looked about 18. The old couple left after the Hugh jackman balls on chin scene. The girl left about 30 minutes later. My friend and I spent the rest of the movie doing MST3K type commentary during it. We did the same thing during Hostel 2 except instead of commentary, we just laughed out loud since people actually watched that.

21. What aspect of modern theatrical moviegoing do you like least?
Stupid ass parents that bring kids to an R rated movie. I went to go see Avengers 2 and someone brought like 8 kids under the age of 12 who did nothing but talk and move around. It was annoying as hell.

22. What aspect of moviegoing during your childhood do you miss the most?

I didn't go to many movies as a Kid.

23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about whether a movie was good or bad?

No

24. What movies have you dreamed about?
Sure but I can't think of one now

25. What concession stand item can you not live without?
Used to get a sprite and hot dog till they got to be more expensive as the movie.

1. Where did you grow up, and what was it like?

South Bend, Indiana. Small city of 100,000. Home to the University of Notre Dame and former home to Studebaker. Grew up in a section of town known as "The Hollow" or "The Hole".

2. Was anyone else in your family into movies? If so, what effect did they have on your moviegoing tastes?
      My dad and my grandfather were both into Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin, Elvis and John Wayne. If any of those three had a movie on TV that is where the channel would be tuned to.

3. What's the first movie you remember seeing, and what impression did it make on you?
      Dog Day Afternoon at the Chippewa Drive-In. I was 5. It made me like Pacino.

4. What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it."
      I've never really though that deeply about it.

5. What's the first movie you ever walked out of?
     The Crocodile Hunter Movie. The only movie I have ever walked out of.

6. What's the funniest film you've ever seen?
     Something About Mary.

7. What's the saddest film you've ever seen?
     The Champ. Saw it when I was nine or so. Cried like a bitch at the ending. My dad and grandfather couldn't figure out why I was balling my eyes out.

8. What's the scariest film you've ever seen?
      Burnt Offerings. Saw it on NBC on a Saturday night. Scared me shitless and I was like eight when I saw it. That's probably why it scared me so bad.

9. What's the most romantic film you've ever seen?
     Truly, Madly, Deeply.

10.  Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?
     Schindler's List.

11. What movie have you seen more times than any other?
     The Wild Bunch.

12. What was your first R-rated movie, and did you like it?
     The Octagon. I was 10. Made me really like Chuck Norris.

13. What's the most visually beautiful film you've ever seen?
     Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

14. Who are your favorite leading men, past and present?
      Past: Jimmy Stewart. Present: Leonardo Dicaprio.

15. Who are your favorite leading ladies, past and present?
      Past: Shelley Winters. Present: Emma Stone.

16. Who's your favorite modern filmmaker?
      Quentin Tarantino.

17. Who's your least favorite modern filmmaker?
      Can't really think of anyone whom I really dislike.

18. What film do you love that most people seem to hate?
       Mickey Blue Eyes.
19. What film do you hate that most people love?
       Risky Business.
20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because of the circumstances in which you saw it.
       European Vacation. First date I ever went on. Never saw her again after that night.
21. What aspect of modern theatrical moviegoing do you like least?
       Commercials.
22. What aspect of moviegoing during your childhood do you miss the most?
       Going to the drive-in and walking across the gravel parking lot in my footy pajamas and not wearing any shoes to the concession stand to use the toilet.

23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about whether a movie was good or bad?
       No.

24. What movies have you dreamed about?
       Tron.

25. What concession stand item can you not live without?
       Junior Mints.