DVDVR Message Board

Bloom County Is Coming Back

Johnny Sorrow

I always thought that it was such an antidote to the earnest, go-go, Reagan-80s that it couldn't really have survived in the ironic 90s and so it had to end.  But maybe we've come back around to a level of smug moralistic posturing and absolute consumerism that it has a valuable role again?

I am so excited for this. Bloom County ended before I was in high school. But I discovered all the books soon after and even had the Billy and the Boingers album. It was such a gigantic influence on what I think is funny and how I think about life.

I love that it's on Facebook. Blake doesn't have to worry about newspaper editors (the few left) or anything of the sort. He can just make the cartoons how he sees fit. I'm eagerly awaiting the first PC Warrior outrage over Bloom County, too.

The first strip really nailed what I remember about the old strip.

I grew up on Bloom County and attribute my centrism to the fact that Breathed ripped both parties mercilessly. I'm hoping that the fact that he's putting the Bloom County name on this means it'll be Bloom County quality, because as cool arrow alluded to, Outland turned to shit after a year and Opus was just an excuse to redo old Bloom County jokes with prettier art.

I have the entire Outland collection and it's great. I did prefer the acid trip stuff that started the strip, but when it basically morphed into Bloom County but just on Sundays, it was still really good. "Kill Mo' Mockingbird" is still one of the funniest things ever.

Interview with Breathed on Salon says it's gonna be Facebook/online-only and will come out as and when he damn well pleases.

I think that's neat to see him bring it back this way. He got out of syndicated cartooning (too many fights with the syndicate over stupid shit) and now things have evolved to the point where he really doesn't need to be syndicated and put up with anything he doesn't wanna put up with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was in high school when I discovered Bloom County (1986, approx.).  Steve Dallas was a big influence on my barely pubescent self, particularly when it came to dating. 

I was fairly unpopular at my high school reunion.  There's probably a connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And we have our very first retcon, with Cutter John now having lost the use of his legs in Iraq/Afghanistan rather than Vietnam.

TBF, that's pretty standard in comics. Remember when Tony Stark got his heart injury in Vietnam? Or when the Fantastic Four got their powers by trying to beat the Commies into outer space?

I like how Cutter John deals with his war injuries by pretending they're Star Wars related... an interesting bit of PTSD that adds some poignancy to his character. "Easier forgiving a Wookie than Cheney/Bush..."

It's a perfect storm. You have a creator who's excited about his classic property and a vehicle of distribution that allows him to produce it at his discretion. If Bill Watterson wants to bring back Calvin and Hobbes this is the perfect way he could do it.

I like how, when reading the newest comics on his Facebook page, if you click on the left arrow, it takes you to a poster for the awful, awful, awful box office bomb movie adaptation of Mars Needs Moms.

I don't know if Breathed is being ironic or defiant or he's just too lazy to delete it.  That would be like linking to an Ebay listing for the VHS release of A Wish For Wings That Work, which Breathed hates with a passion.

I like how, when reading the newest comics on his Facebook page, if you click on the left arrow, it takes you to a poster for the awful, awful, awful box office bomb movie adaptation of Mars Needs Moms.

IT"S NEVER TOO LATE FOR VIRAL MARKETING!!  YOU:::LLL SEE!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Berke Breathed, for today's strip.

I think it was about five years ago, when I briefly had a blog, that I noticed that these Millenial young punks only put one space in-between sentences, rather than two.

It's two,dammit!  TWO!  You young folks, listening to your iPods as you roll to work on your Segways, while you sit in a Starbucks and complain to your friends about how your 27 with a law degree and still live at home while you work at the Starbucks your sitting in, it's TWO DAMNED SPACES BETWEEN SENTENCES!

If all of you had actually listened to your Language Arts' teachers in high school, instead of texting each other, you'd know that.

• Like 4