DVDVR Message Board

The first card you ever attended

Swift

WWF @ Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Arena - February 3, 1991 (matinee)

The Barbarian pinned Koko B. Ware

The Nasty Boys defeated the Bushwhackers

The Undertaker pinned Tugboat

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Demolition when Shawn Michaels pinned Smash

Roddy Piper defeated WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect via disqualification

The Big Bossman defeated Haku

The Ultimate Warrior & Jim Duggan defeated WWF World Champion Sgt. Slaughter & Gen. Adnan (sub. for Randy Savage) when Warrior pinned Adnan

I'd been a fan for quite awhile at that point, but it took years of begging to get my mom to take me to a show. I remember Piper/Perfect being a good match and just being blown away at how huge guys were. Bummed that I never got to see Savage live, though.

That seems like quite the shitty sub.

And wow, at the Attitude show. Two Four Corners matches on the same show, a handicap match, a ... on a pole match, and no match going longer than 6 minutes.

WWF @ Moline, IL - Mark of the Quad Cities - May 25, 1999 (9,755 paid; sell out)
Kurt Angle defeated Rob Conway
Super Astros - 6/6/99:
Papi Chulo defeated Tiger Mask
Apollo Dantes defeated Sho Funaki
Taka Michinoku defeated Super Loco
Shotgun - 6/5/99:
D-Lo Brown & Mark Henry defeated Droz & Prince Albert after Droz accidentally hit his own briefcase
Edge & Gangrel (w/ Christian) defeated Brian Christopher & Scott Taylor following Edge's Downward Spiral
Matt & Jeff Hardy (w/ Michael Hayes) defeated the Blue Meanie & Goldust
Sunday Night Heat - 5/30/99 - included a video package on the history of the King of the Ring, featuring the most recent tournament wins by Steve Austin, Triple H, and Ken Shamrock; featured an in-ring promo by Steve Austin which was interrupted by the Undertaker on the Titantron, with Taker saying he would come face-to-face with the Higher Power the following night on Raw:
Test & Tori defeated Meat & Jackie (w/ Terri & Ryan Shamrock) at 2:58 when Tori pinned Jackie with a DDT; after the bout, PMS attacked Tori until Test scared them from the ring
KOTR Qualifying Match: Ken Shamrock defeated Jeff Jarrett (w/ WWF Women's Champion Debra) via submission with the ankle lock at 2:55 after avoiding the figure-4; after the bout, Jarrett broke his guitar over Shamrock's head
KOTR Qualifying Match: Hardcore Holly pinned WWF Hardcore Champion Al Snow with a Michinoku Driver in a non-title match at 1:24
KOTR Qualifying Match: WWF Tag Team Champion X-Pac pinned the Big Bossman with a crucifix at 2:37 as Bossman laid across him making a cover; after the match, the Road Dogg came out to make the save but was beaten down by Bossman and the Acolytes; moments later, Kane made the save and hit a chokeslam on Farooq; after the commercial break, the Road Dogg challenged Bossman to a match on Raw while the Acolytes challenged X-Pac & Kane to a tag team title match
KOTR Qualifying Match: Billy Gunn pinned Viscera with the Fameasser at 2:05 after Viscera hit the corner
Raw is War - 5/31/99:
The Big Show defeated Billy Gunn via count-out when Gunn left the ring to avoid the chokeslam; the Road Dogg threw Gunn back in where Show leveled him with the move
Beaver Cleavage (w/ Mrs. Cleavage) pinned Christian after the Hardy Boyz and Michael Hayes interfered and hit Christian with a cane; Edge & Gangrel made the save after the match
Jeff Jarrett (w/ Debra) pinned WWF IC Champion the Godfather to win the title at 3:41 after hitting him with Debra's WWF Women's title belt as the champion became distracted by both Debra and one of his hoes stripping on the ring apron
WWF World Champion the Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) defeated Vince McMahon via disqualification when Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco interfered; the champion easily beat them down
The Road Dogg defeated the Big Bossman via disqualification when Bossman used the nightstick on his opponent and the referee; Bossman was brawling with Mankind as the match with Road Dogg was scheduled to begin
The Acolytes defeated WWF Tag Team Champions X-Pac & Kane to win the titles at 4:44 when Bradshaw pinned X-Pac with the Clothesline from Hell after Shane McMahon interfered and blocked X-Pac's Bronko Buster attempt on Bradshaw with a steel chair
Val Venis (w/ Nicole Bass) pinned Ken Shamrock with a small package; Jeff Jarrett & Debra came ringside during the match to distract Val
Triple H (w/ Chyna) pinned Mankind in a No DQ falls count anywhere match after hitting him in the knee with a sledgehammer; the Rock made the save after the match
Steve Austin defeated WWF World Champion the Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) via disqualification when the Corporate Ministry interfered; the Higher Power, covered in a cloak, came to the ring after the match and allowed Austin to see his face but didn't reveal himself to the crowd

i have no recollection of the Kurt Angle dark match.

this was two days after Owen Hart fell to his death, the rest of the week's shows were cancelled, but this went on since it was a Raw taping for the following week.

i actually don't remember both Shotgun and Heat being taped, i thought it was only Heat. faulty memory again.

the only two things i legitimately remember are X-Pac and Kane losing the tag titles (i saw a title change hands!) and the first appearance of the Higher Power, which me and my friends thought was the coolest thing ever. 

and i didn't check, but this may have been the first match of Beaver Cleavage.

WWF @ St. Paul, MN - Civic Center - November 22, 1989 (3,700)

Tugboat defeated Barry Horowitz

Rick Martel defeated Brutus Beefcake

The Powers of Pain defeated the Bushwhackers

Dino Bravo defeated Jimmy Snuka

Mr. Perfect defeated WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan via count-out

Ron Garvin defeated Greg Valentine

The Genius defeated Mark Young

Jake Roberts defeated Ted Dibiase via disqualification

I don't remember alot of this, but I do remember seeing Mr Perfect and Greg Valentine hanging out together backstage, from where my friend and I were sitting we could see through a gap in the curtain, and it was fascinating.

WCW Monday Nitro, April 4th, 1998 Indianapolis, IN Market Square Arena

Singles Match
Singles Match
Kidman vs. Scott Putski - No Contest (2:00)
Two on Three Handicap Street Fight
Loser Leaves The Flock Match
Hammer defeats Saturn (4:16)
Singles Match
Juventud Guerrera defeats Sick Boy by DQ (2:41)
Singles Match
Brian Adams defeats Konnan by DQ (2:45)
Fit Finlay defeats Booker T © (3:57) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
Singles Match
Lex Luger defeats Kevin Nash (w/Konnan & Randy Savage) by DQ (2:44)

• Like 1

WWF @ Auburn Hills, MI - Palace - December 29, 1991 (5,500) (matinee)
Chris Chavis (Tatanka) pinned Kato
Tito Santana pinned the Warlord
The Undertaker pinned Jim Duggan after hitting him with the urn

4819_1116976298272_6743259_n.jpg?oh=5ccc

The Mountie pinned Kerry Von Erich after Von Erich fell backward off the top rope
WWF Tag Team Champion Road Warrior Animal pinned Typhoon with a clothesline from the middle turnbuckle; this bout replaced the scheduled Legion of Doom vs. Natural Disasters tag title match as it was announced Earthquake was injured

4819_1116977018290_4913272_n.jpg?oh=18d2

The Big Bossman defeated IRS
The Beverly Brothers defeated Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty when Jannetty was pinned after Michaels walked out on his partner
Randy Savage pinned Jake Roberts with the flying elbowsmash; Miss Elizabeth did not appear in Savage's corner as advertised

4819_1116976978289_1995103_n.jpg?oh=63f8

a wrestling show at the Del Mar Fair

I remember the Navajo Warrior, The Ballard brothers, and Buff Bagwell. None of them were in the same match.

I also remember some mom trying to steal the Ballards' Canadian flag and security having a stern talk with her about it.

After that was that free Pro Wrestling War show with Jack Evans in the Blitzkrieg suit

And then this Raw

Can't find the full card for the first show I attended, which was sometime in the summer of 1988 at the Flint IMA Sports arena. I know it was headlined by a Randy Savage/Ted Dibiase title match. Looking at the pictures I have, looks like there was also a Rougeaus/Hart Foundation match and a Brutus Beefcake/Honky Tonk Man match.

I know I posted this a long time ago, but since it's been awhile and since it kind of fits with this thread, here's a link to a ton of my WWF live event pictures from 1989 - 1995:

http://imgur.com/a/PaPkq#0

• Like 1

WWF @ Auburn Hills, MI - Palace - December 29, 1991 (5,500) (matinee)

The Mountie pinned Kerry Von Erich after Von Erich fell backward off the top rope

My first thought was to wonder whether this was the planned finish, or whether Kerry was on something. 

I'm a bad person.

WWF @ Winnipeg, Manitoba - Arena - March 14, 1991 (10,500)
Jimmy Snuka defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
The Nasty Boys defeated the Bushwhackers
Paul Roma defeated Greg Valentine
The Legion of Doom defeated Demolition Smash & Crush
Jake Roberts defeated Rick Martel
The Big Bossman defeated the Berzerker
WWF World Champion Sgt. Slaughter defeated the Ultimate Warrior in a steel cage match

I only remember the main event and even then mainly because the Warrior, the old blue steel cage and Sherri getting stripped to her underwear. All of that was mind-blowing to 9 year old me. Was Sherri managing Slaughter at this time? Could my mind be playing tricks on me or could there have been another valet who got stripped?

The second show was :

WWF @ Winnipeg, Manitoba - Arena - January 29, 1992
Tatanka defeated Skinner
The Berzerker defeated Jim Brunzell
WWF Tag Team Champion Road Warrior Animal defeated Earthquake
The Beverly Brothers defeated Owen Hart & Jim Neidhart via disqualification
Tito Santana fought IRS to a draw
The Big Bossman defeated Ted Dibiase
WWF IC Champion Roddy Piper defeated WWF World Champion Ric Flair via count-out

which was how I learned that Piper went to high school in Winnipeg. The crowd was crazy hot for him and I was so confused until my Dad told me why.

My dad told me he took me to a couple of cards when I was like 3 or 4 but I can't remember them. This is the first card I actually have memories from:

JCP @ Richmond, VA - Coliseum - July 3, 1987 (8,500)
Misty Blue pinned Kat Laroux
The Italian Stallion pinned Mark Fleming
The Barbarian pinned Todd Champion; the Barbarian was cheered in the match
UWF TV Champion Eddie Gilbert pinned Kendall Windham by grabbing the tights for leverage
Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy, & Buddy Roberts defeated Ivan Koloff, Manny Fernandez, & Vladimir Pietrov when Gordy pinned Pietrov
Steve Williams pinned Dick Murdoch after hitting him with his arm cast; after the bout, UWF TV Champion Eddie Gilbert and Murdoch double teamed Williams until Terry Gordy made the save
Barry Windham defeated Big Bubba via count-out in a Louisville Streetfight
NWA Tag Team Champions Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson defeated NWA US Tag Team Champions Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match; fall #1: Morton & Gibson won at the 30-second mark; fall #2: Eaton & Lane won after Big Bubba interfered; fall #3: Morton & Gibson won via disqualification after Bubba dropped Morton with the sidewalk slam
NWA US Champion Nikita Koloff pinned Arn Anderson
The Road Warriors defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair & Lex Luger via disqualification when Flair hit Road Warrior Hawk with JJ Dillon's shoe
Dusty Rhodes defeated NWA TV Champion Tully Blanchard in a non-title I Quit steel cage match after taking JJ Dillon's shoe and grinding it into Blanchard's face

I have been watching wrestling since 1995, but I never had a chance to attend a show until this one. Keep in mind that not a lot came to Dothan for a few years. We had a WCW House show and maybe an ECW one in the late 90s, but my parents were not too keen on taking me to these. My big regret is I never went to one of those La Vela Nitros.

Six Man Tag Team Match
Bill DeMott, Rikishi & Spanky defeat The FBI (Chuck Palumbo, Johnny Stamboli & Nunzio)
Singles Match

Crash defeats Orlando Jordan

Tag Team Match
A-Train & Chris Kanyon defeat The Basham Brothers (Danny Basham & Doug Basham)

Singles Match
Rhyno defeats Sean O'Haire

WWE Cruiserweight Title Triple Threat Match
Matt Hardy Version 1.0 © vs. Jamie Noble vs. Rey Mysterio - No Contest

WWE Tag Team Title Match
Eddie Guerrero & Tajiri © defeat Team Angle (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin) by DQ

Singles Match
Chris Benoit defeats John Cena

Singles Match (Special Referee: Dawn Marie)
Nidia defeats Torrie Wilson

WWE Heavyweight Title Match
Brock Lesnar © defeats The Big Show

r

WWF World Champion Sgt. Slaughter defeated the Ultimate Warrior in a steel cage match

I only remember the main event and even then mainly because the Warrior, the old blue steel cage and Sherri getting stripped to her underwear. All of that was mind-blowing to 9 year old me. Was Sherri managing Slaughter at this time? Could my mind be playing tricks on me or could there have been another valet who got stripped?

Its possible Sherri was around, since that would've been in the Mania build to Savage/Warrior, so her there without Savage would make sense if she was screwing with Warrior.

WWF @ Scranton, PA - CYC - August 23, 1982
Jose Estrada defeated Tony Altimore
Salvatore Bellomo defeated Pete Sanchez
Ivan Putski defeated the Black Demon
Capt. Lou Albano, WWF Tag Team Champions Mr. Fuji & Mr. Saito defeated WWF IC Champion Pedro Morales, Chief Jay & Jules Strongbow
Andre the Giant defeated Blackjack Mulligan

I was 9.  I got to reach out and touch Andre on the arm as he walked by and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

• Like 2

I've been watching since the mid-80s but never went to any shows when I lived in the US. Finally, in 2003, New Japan did a house show in my town of Ube.

El Samurai d. Naofumi Yamamoto

Masahito Kakihara & Super Crazy d. Rey Bucanero and Ultimo Guerrero

Dan Devine & Toru Yano d. Gedo and Jado

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yutaka Yoshie d. Makai #1 & #2

Mike Barton & Shinya Makabe d. Hiro Saito & Tatsutoshi Goto

Osamu Nishimura drew with Takashi Iizuka

Jushin Liger, Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Fujita d. AKIRA, Heat & Tiger Mask IV

Makai #4 & #5, Ryushi Yanigsawa & Tadao Yasuda d. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Masahiro Chono, Michiyoshi Ohara & Yuji Nagata

I hadn't really been following wrestling at the time so I had no idea who was who other than the NJPW names who had been around since at least the 90s. No clue about Rey Bucanero and Ultimo Guerrero.

• Like 2

r

Its possible Sherri was around, since that would've been in the Mania build to Savage/Warrior, so her there without Savage would make sense if she was screwing with Warrior.

Cheers. Actually just came to edit my post because I googled something like Sherri Warrior 1991 and found that this was a finish they also used for a Madison Square Garden cage match between Slaughter and Warrior.

JCP @ Asheville, NC - Civic Center - June 2, 1985

Sam Houston vs. the Eliminator

Denny Brown vs. Kendo Nagasaki

Buzz Tyler vs. Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Champion Ron Bass

Jimmy Valiant & Manny Fernandez vs. Superstar Billy Graham & the Barbarian

Dusty Rhodes defeated NWA TV Champion Tully Blanchard via disqualification

NWA World Champion Ric Flair defeated NWA US Champion Magnum TA via disqualification

I barely remember any of this, but I remember Beig super-hyped to see Jimmy Valiant.

WWF @ Los Angeles, CA - Sports Arena - January 5, 1997 (3,957)
Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon defeated Razor Ramon II & Diesel II when Furnas pinned Razor
Jesse Jammes pinned Justin Bradshaw with a reversal into a powerslam
Farooq pinned Savio Vega with a powerslam
Flash Funk pinned Leif Cassidy with the 450 splash
WWF IC Champion Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Marc Mero after hitting him with the title belt
WWF World Champion Psycho Sid defeated the Undertaker via count-out after both men began attacking an interfering Vader on the floor and Sid was able to get back in the ring before the 10-count
WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith defeated Mankind & the Executioner when the Executioner was pinned
Bret Hart defeated Vader via disqualification when Steve Austin interfered; after the bout, Austin held Bret down so Vader could hit the Vader Bomb
Steve Austin pinned Shawn Michaels with a roll up and grabbing the tights for leverage after Michaels began arguing with Bret Hart, who was on the ring apron; after the bout, Bret briefly applied the Sharpshooter on Michaels before the two fought all the way to the back

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - August 24, 1991

Jimmy Snuka pinned Col. Mustafa

Ricky Steamboat pinned Kato

The Bushwhackers defeated Hercules & Bob Bradley (sub. for Paul Roma) when Luke pinned Bradley

Bret Hart defeated Sgt. Slaughter via disqualification after Gen. Adnan threw powder in Hart's face

IRS pinned Virgil

The Mountie & the Natural Disasters defeated the Big Bossman & the Legion of Doom when Mountie pinned Bossman

The Ultimate Warrior defeated the Undertaker in a bodybag match

In hindsight, it's quite weird to have seen Hart vs Slaughter, two days before SummerSlam.

Mine was Slamboree '97.

Dark match Yuji Nagata defeated Pat Tanaka Singles match 4:30
Dark match The Public Enemy (Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge) defeated Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray) Tag Team match 6:00
1 Lord Steven Regal defeated Último Dragón © (with Sonny Onoo) by submission Singles match for the WCW World Television Championship 16:04 - This was around the time of that rumored new Horsemen stable, and Regal held up 4 fingers afterwards, but supposedly it was just for his 4th TV title reign.
2 Madusa defeated Luna Vachon Singles match 5:09
3 Rey Mysterio, Jr. defeated Yuji Yasuraoka Singles match 14:58
4 Glacier defeated Mortis (with James Vandenberg) by disqualification Singles match 1:51 Debut of Ernest "The Cat" Miller!!!
5 Dean Malenko © defeated Jeff Jarrett (with Debra) Singles match for the WCW United States Championship 14:54 - Notable for Jarrett, a Horseman at the time, getting booed in Charlotte.
6 Meng defeated Chris Benoit (with Woman) Death match 14:54
7 The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner) defeated Konnan and Hugh Morrus (with Jimmy Hart) Tag Team match 9:35
8 Steve McMichael (with Debra McMichael) defeated Reggie White (with Kent Johnston) Singles match 15:17
9 Ric Flair, Roddy Piper and Kevin Greene defeated The New World Order (Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and Syxx) Six-man Tag Team match 17:20

WCW Monday Nitro, April 4th, 1998 Indianapolis, IN Market Square Arena

Singles Match
Singles Match
Kidman vs. Scott Putski - No Contest (2:00)
Two on Three Handicap Street Fight
Loser Leaves The Flock Match
Hammer defeats Saturn (4:16)
Singles Match
Juventud Guerrera defeats Sick Boy by DQ (2:41)
Singles Match
Brian Adams defeats Konnan by DQ (2:45)
Fit Finlay defeats Booker T © (3:57) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
Singles Match
Lex Luger defeats Kevin Nash (w/Konnan & Randy Savage) by DQ (2:44)

Who the hell booked this shit? ONE match over four minutes? I would have been figure-fouring the beer guy as he walked past if I paid to see this.

Hey, did I see that right on the last page, we've finally got a genuine Japanese puro smark posting on our site? (In English which is intimidatingly better than most of ours?) Awesome.

I come from a anti-wrestling family. I was a nerdy bookworm as a kid, in a midsized Southern town that put way more emphasis on athletics than can be mentally healthy. So, for the first nineteen years of my life, I never watched wrestling at all. I didn't see it, didn't hear about it, didn't think about it. I was vaguely familiar with some of the characters overlapping into general pop culture; even as a kid who'd never watched a single match, I knew who Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, Randy Savage, Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, and the Undertaker all were. (None of the poor competition was even a blip on my radar, aside from knowing what the Road Warriors looked like, before they made the jump to New York.) So I literally had no idea how awesome wrestling was until I happened to see the Rock/Mankind Empty Arena Match on a bigscreen television in the lobby of my college dorm. I was all like "huh, this looks NOTHING like that fake crap I occasionally glimpsed in my childhood... okay, it still looks kinda fake, that final camera shot was an outright insult to my wannabe-film-major intelligence, but those guys did a heck of a live fight scene." In the spring and summer of '99, every dorm-lobby television was tuned to Raw on Monday nights (Nitro had to wait for the replay), and the bizarre "Chinese action/horror movie" nature of Russo's wacky Stone Cold vs Undertaker storylines just sucked me right in.

Sadly, the WWF didn't come to town first when my burgeoning fandom had asserted itself; no, it was the other guys...

WCW House Show Results from Nashville, TN - 01/28/00

Match #1: Disco Inferno (w/ the Mamalukes) def. The Maestro

Match #2: 3 Way Dance - The Wall d. Berlyn & Dustin Rhodes

Match #3: WCW Hardcore Title Match - Brian Knobbs (w/ Fit Finlay) def. Screamin Norman Smiley

Match #4: Kidman def. Vampiro

Match #5: Meng def. the Total Package w/ Elizabeth

Match #6: Triple Threat Match, World Tag Team Championship - The Mamalukes def. The Harris Boys and David Flair and Crowbar

Match #7: Kevin Nash w/ Jeff Jarrett def. Ric Flair

I got there late and missed the first match; oh no, what a loss.

The second match was the first time I saw any wrestler in person, and I remember totally marking out for the fact that The Wall was actually standing there right in front of me. Well, not RIGHT in front of me; I'd bought a cheap-seats ticket, but the place was so empty (MAYBE a thousand fans, tops, in a building that holds 12,000 capacity) that I moved a dozen rows forward and nobody bothered to stop me. Berlyn hilarious resorted to some Memphis-style stooging by claiming that Dustin pulled that tiny little landing strip of hair that he had. Dustin proceeded to indulge himself in some of the most shameless crowd-playing possible, including giving a Shattered Dreams to Berlyn and then grabbing the house mic and goading the fans into begging him to do it again. This was apparently an ECW-rules eliminaation 3-way, but nobody told the timekeeper cuz when Dustin beat Berlyn they acted like he won the match. Then, The Wall kicked Dustin's ass and pinned him, LOLWCW.

Knobbs and Norman? Hell, that actually sounds fun. Too bad I apparently don't retain a single memory about it.

I recall Kidman/Vampiro being one of those "gee, I thought that would've been a better match" affairs. They did use a table, on a house show, so props for that. Otherwise, just awkward and not terribly good.

Meng and Luger had the singles match of the night. Seriously. Luger went total Full Memphis in his cowardly heel role, stalling and running away and acting like he was appropriately terrified of this implacable Samoan behemoth that was chasing him. When Haku finally nailed Lex down to the mat and locked him in the Tongan Death Grip, Lex tapped like an epileptic bongo drummer. Five billion stars.

Triple threat match: I don't remember one damn thing that either the Harris twins or the Mamalukes did in this one. It was all too obvious, the show-stealers were the glorious oddball trio of Crowbar, Daffney, and David Flair. As part of their "crazy" gimmick, David and Crowbar kept taking intentional air-bumps when no opponent was even near them; I think Crowbar even flung himself into the ring steps for no damn reason. THEY WERE AWESOME. And it was on this night that my permanent fondness for Daffney was born, because she was always doing something on the outside, being either creepy or sexy or annoying or somehow all three at the same time. She was like everything that Sheri Moon Zombie WANTS to be. I don't even remember who went over, I don't care. At one point Disco grabbed the mic and tried to start a "David Flair sucks!" chant, making me even more irritable towards that obnoxious little bastard than usual; hey, chump, don't try to get shoot-heat on poor David now that he's finally found a role that was actually entertaining! Match of the night.

And then the main event... oy.

Okay, this was shortly after Kevin Nash beat Terry Funk in that Souled Out match where the commissioner's job was on the line. I guess Nash, no longer content with merely killing the company from the inside, decided to bring his business-assassination act onto the screen! (The night after this, he slipped on a patch of ice in a parking lot, breaking his leg and putting him on the shelf for months.) So during this match, Nash had full Commissioner superpowers, and he declares that his opponent Ric Flair is banned from using the figure-four leglock.

My smark senses were tingling at the possibility of some good ol' fashioned bullshit happening in the finish of this match. But hell, I didn't care; I came to this event because I wanted to see RIC FUCKING FLAIR wrestle live in front of me. I get the feeling most of my fellow audience members were in agreement; nobody was on Cool Heel Nash's side this night, especially since in his corner he had Jeff Jarrett (still only managing, being put on light duty after Jimmy Snuka managed to give him a concussion by recreating his famous Superfly Splash off the top of a cage; yeah, WCW, what a great idea it was to have a senior citizen doing that risky nonsense!).

The match starts, and... it's nothing. It's Kevin Nash moving in slow motion while he sloooooowly squashes Flair for about five minutes. You think Nash was lazy on Nitro? You have NO idea. I don't think he ever took one single bump. It was mostly just him standing there and pretending to do shit, while poor Ric of course screams "OH GAWD" about how much the nothing hurts him. And then, the finish, ho fucking boy this finish. Ric finally makes a small comeback, immediately goes to working on the leg (I'm gonna guess Nash called this one, since it allowed him to casually go down without, y'know, bumping) and then Flair finally puts on the figure-four. Which had been banned, as you recall, at the beginning of the match. Now, the referee is Charles "Lil' Naitch" Robinson, so I was expecting some mischievous bias on the referee's part... oh, no, wait, he totally disqualified Flair for using the hold that Flair had explicitly been told not to use. Nash and Jarrett beat Flair down afterwards; nothing cool, they just stomped him a bunch and then celebrated like they were real badasses. Ric stumbled silently to the back without ever saying a word on the mic. That's it. SHOW OVER. Goodnight everybody! Oh, fucking WCW, there are REASONS why you went out of business.

• Like 2

The first card I saw was WWF at the CYC in Scranton, PA with Volkoff facing Pedro Morales (subbing for Kirschner) I couldn't find the full card online, but here's (probably) the NEXT one I saw live:

WWF @ Scranton, PA - CYC - July 27, 1986
Iron Mike Sharpe defeated Brickhouse Brown
Lanny Poffo defeated Les Thornton
Bob Orton Jr. defeated King Tonga
George Steele defeated Adrian Adonis via disqualification
WWF Tag Team Champions Davey Boy Smith & the Dynamite Kid defeated Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake
Tito Santana fought Harley Race to a draw

• Like 1

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - January 21, 1985 (16,000)

Televised on the MSG Network - featured Gorilla Monsoon & Gene Okerlund on commentary:

Prime Time Wrestling - 9/22/86: Moondog Rex pinned Terry Gibbs with a reverse neckbreaker at 10:14; prior to the bout, Howard Finkel announced that the Junkyard Dog would be Jimmy Snuka's partner later in the show, substituting for the Tonga Kid

All American Wrestling - 2/24/85: Bret Hart defeated Rene Goulet via submission with a sleeper at 14:32 (Hart's MSG debut)

Prime Time Wrestling - 3/5/85: Jim Neidhart pinned Tony Garea with a powerslam at 12:05 (Neidhart's MSG debut)

All American Wrestling - 2/17/85: Don Muraco (w/ Mr. Fuji) pinned Swede Hanson at 10:54 with the tombstone; prior to the bout, Pedro Morales was introduced to the crowd

Blackjack Mulligan pinned Moondog Spot at 6:40 with a small package; Rita Marie made her debut as referee for the bout and was billed as the first ever female referee

Prime Time Wrestling - 3/5/85: Andre the Giant defeated Ken Patera (w/ Bobby Heenan) via disqualification when Heenan came off the top onto Andre, hitting him with a pair of brass knuckles and causing the referee to be knocked down; moments later, Patera came off the top onto Andre, with Andre lifting his boot into Patera's face before sending both men out of the ring (Andre the Giant VHS, Andre the Giant DVD)

Prime Time Wrestling - 3/5/85: Big John Studd (w/ Bobby Heenan) pinned George Wells at 7:19 with a backbreaker; the referee made an obvious fast count to end the match

Roddy Piper & Bob Orton Jr. defeated Jimmy Snuka & the Junkyard Dog (sub. for the Tonga Kid) in a Texas Tornado Match at 8:45 when Orton pinned JYD after Piper tripped JYD from the apron (The WWF's Most Unusual Matches)

Prime Time Wrestling - 3/5/85: The Spoiler pinned Rick McGraw at 8:59 with a butterfly spulex

Tito Santana defeated WWF IC Champion Greg Valentine via count-out at 20:21 when a flying forearm from the challenger sent Valentine out of the ring

• Like 1

I was a little over 11 years old and my sister bought tickets for me for Christmas.  Shitty card -- 7 matches with 3 fuck finishes and a cavalcade of jobbers -- but it was still awesome.  WWF was firmly entrenched in the strategy of "load the 'A city' shows with shit but put Hogan on them" and the tradition of "put the main on in the middle so you can announce next month's main and sell tickets at intermission" was alive and well.  I am old.

WWF @ Baltimore, MD - Civic Center - January 5, 1986 (13,000)
Pedro Morales defeated Moondog Spot
Jose Luis Rivera defeated Rene Goulet
Hercules defeated Lanny Poffo
Scott McGhee fought Tiger Chung Lee to a draw
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Brutus Beefcake
The Junkyard Dog defeated Greg Valentine via count-out
Cpl. Kirchner & King Tonga fought Nikolai Volkoff & the Iron Sheik to a no contest

I was ten years old.  This is the card with Tugboat Girl- a grown ass woman dressed exactly like Tugboat sitting in our row who was in tears whenever Tugboat got beat up.  Which was a lot, because it was fucking Tugboat.

WWF @ Los Angeles, CA - Sports Arena - October 20, 1990 (9,500)
The Genius pinned Jim Brunzell
Dustin Rhodes pinned Black Bart
Ron Garvin pinned Iron Mike Sharpe
Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Hercules & Paul Roma via disqualification
Sgt. Slaughter defeated Nikolai Volkoff via submission
The Big Bossman pinned the Barbarian (sub. for Rick Rude)
Hulk Hogan & Tugboat defeated Earthquake & Dino Bravo

• Like 1