DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, RIZIN, AXS TV Live Event Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Good fights from Anderson/Leibrock and Mizuki/Schuckman. Angela Hill & Amber Brown both look good in their 1st round finishes. Great to see Schneider get the win while I felt bad for one of my top favorites DeAnna Bennett to go down so quick. Ibragimova's goal seemed to be to last longer than the last two Cyborg fights by hanging on to her. Cyborg still gets the knockout even with 2 seconds left in the round, good stuff.

Invicta FC 15 was a pretty awkward card...

Missed most of Megan Anderson vs. Amber Leibrock so I can't really comment on that.

Angela Hill vs. Alida Gray -- brutal beatdown. Hill finally got a chance to display her stand up skills. Gray can't get a chance. First Jag, then Grasso and then Hill. Hill was originally scheduled to fight Jodie Esquibel, so Jodie was lucky she had to withdraw from that fight.

Mizuki Inoue vs. Lacey Schuckman -- FOTN easily. A ton of entertaining grappling exchanges. Schuckman proved she's a lot better than what her record reflects. I wouldn't be surprised if Mizuki gets a call up as a late replacement on a UFC card soon.

Amber Brown vs. Shino VanHoose -- mismatch. VanHoose was a last minute replacement for Lisa Ellis. However VanHoose shound't have been in a fight with Amber.

Colleen Schneider vs. Raquel Pa'aluhi -- this is where the United MMA scoring system comes in to play. Schneider did more damage, but Pa'aluhi controlled the fight for more time and it resulted in a split dec. win for Schneider which is the result I felt was correct, but could have gone either way and still been totally understandable going by the United MMA scoring system. However from a fight perspective, Schneider was a clear winner.

Livia Renata Souza vs. DeAnna Bennett -- short fight that ended unexpectedly as Livinha finished Bennett with a body kick which is something totally different from the norm as Livinha is mostly known for ground game. Bennett stepped in as a replacement for Alexa Grasso who was injured, but seeing this fight only makes Livinha vs. Grasso a more intriguing fight.

Cristiane Justino vs. Daria Ibragimova -- another brutal first round Cyborg knock out. Daria did better than most of Cyborg's recent opponents, but that's not saying much as she just grabbed and held on to Cyborg's leg in a clinch against the cage hopping for a takedown. That strategy wasn't that great though as Cyborg was elbowing Ibragimova in the face constantly before she was able to break away and hit her with a straight right hand that put an end to the fight. Cyborg was originally scheduled to fight Cindy Dandois who withdrew from the fight, but that fight wasn't going to go any differently than this one.

With Raquel's eye the way it was the judges weren't going to score the fight her way.

One of the judges scored it for her.

The next time the UFC goes to the Pacific Rim, why not do Inoue/Seo Hee Ham? That would be all sorts of awesome.

That would be a great fight and they need to give a shoutout to the founder of DEEP Shigeru Saeki if they do that fight.

That they did.

What happened to the Bantamweight title fight on Invicta 3 that they were hyping on Invicta 2?

I guess Mcmann got moved to a bigger promotion but what else.

If I remember right, McMann wasn't cleared yet since Invicta 3 was only a couple months after 2 and then shortly after she was signing with Strikeforce which eventually ended up with her in UFC. There was talk of a title eliminator but don't think anything happened for awhile. Invicta 3 had a similar amount of card changes as 2 did.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I put money on Freire.... Have no idea why Ryan keeps fighting.

Well he was on a winning streak before this, and this was a big match-up for him.  Feel bad for Ryan.  Talked with him before this fight, he was pretty excited and pumped for this one.  

Wish I put money on Freire.... Have no idea why Ryan keeps fighting.

Well he was on a winning streak before this, and this was a big match-up for him. Feel bad for Ryan. Talked with him before this fight, he was pretty excited and pumped for this one.

I understand that but he's never going to be a top level star which is why I sorta hope he's able to do something else.

• Like 1

That last name is a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that he has gotten opportunities that he probably doesn't deserve. It's a curse in that there are lesser top position grapplers who don't have that pressure and who don't get criticized as much. I mean there are some fighters with the surname of Gracie who are terrible as fighters. However, there are some who really don't deserve that scrutiny.

It also doesn't help that Ryan is like 33 years old and already saddled as just a guy.

That last name is a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that he has gotten opportunities that he probably doesn't deserve. It's a curse in that there are lesser top position grapplers who don't have that pressure and who don't get criticized as much. I mean there are some fighters with the surname of Gracie who are terrible as fighters. However, there are some who really don't deserve that scrutiny.

It also doesn't help that Ryan is like 33 years old and already saddled as just a guy.

Sometimes I wonder if he's only doing this because he's Randy Couture's son.  I don't get the sense that Randy Couture pressured him into it, but felt like an obligation he had to do in order to carry on the Couture legacy.

I also was very surprised when I found out his age.  He was a lot older than I expected.

Yeah, Randy had a kid while he was in the army and that's before he was at Oklahoma State. I didn't figure out Ryan was that same kid until he was in Strikeforce, and I saw he was like 27 or 28 already on the pre-fight graphic.